For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
DumbPhone's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Monday, November 7th, 2016 12:40 AM

Moving apps to sd card on a Maven 2

I see that my phone doesn't give me the option to move apps to the sd card. Is there another way around this, or am I stuck with only 8gigs on the phone?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I've had plenty of cheap phones with marshmallow before and never had this problem before. I'm not expecting top dollar, I'm just expecting decent storage. Stop being elitist.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@yakwiseau wrote:

I've had plenty of cheap phones with marshmallow before and never had this problem before. I'm not expecting top dollar, I'm just expecting decent storage. Stop being elitist.

and I am trying to show you how google has said storage will work from now on unless the oems change something.  Like the maven 2..  The problem with cheap phones is the lack of storage.  I am not an elitist by no means I use unlocked phones for a reason.  I can get the storage I need and want.  I can tell you as a android dev non of the apps I have worked on have been allow to move to the sd card as performance lowers.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

The pre-installed apps take up barely any space. It's the operating system. That's the bulk of everything. Including Amazon the AT&T applications take up a total of 315 megabytes on my Ascend XT.

And no, I cannot move apps to SD card on this device either. Marshmallow limitation. SD cards are not reliable when compared to internal memory. It's why most devices do not allow it any longer.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Then how about the phones NOT come with pre-loaded apps and let the buyer
choose what apps they find useful? At least then if they can't be moved,
useless apps aren't taking up even more space that could be utilised by
each individual with apps they wanted.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

A branded phone will come with branded apps and this is why unlocked phones exist. For those who do want that choice. There is not a single carrier branded phone (on ANY carrier, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc) that do not include their apps. An entry level phone is an entry level phone and their abilities are going to be far less than a mid-range or flagship phone. Not just when it comes to storage but processing capabilities, RAM and screen resolution. A Maven 2, Alcatel Ideal, the original Maven, Moto E, etc, etc isn't going to perform up to the same level as something like the Huawei Ascend XT, ZTE ZMax 2, iPhone 5S, etc. That's why there are different segments among cell phones because manufacturers are looking to differentiate between models.

Regardless 315 megabytes is ultimately a tiny fraction of space when compared to the OS and Google apps.  It's the Google applications that take the majority of the space.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

It is now March, months later, so have you resolved the issue yet?  If you have, I don't see it on my phone.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@Roadtripper wrote:

It is now March, months later, so have you resolved the issue yet?  If you have, I don't see it on my phone.

@Roadtripper

there is nothing to fix....  The phone works like its suppose to.  ZTE made it so you cant put apps on sd cards....  Its a performance thing.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

So is this problem ever gonna be fixed? I got this phone and I can't afford another one and I need my apps! I had the ZTE Z958 and it was perfect, this "upgrade" isn't much of a upgrade.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

not a performance thing but a money thing, you want more apps they are forcing you to buy more expensive phones with more system memory, all these developers talking performance lost and other crap is pure bull. I have a  Android Lollipop and can move many apps to SD card I also have Window Phone and can move just about all apps to SD card. Who in their right mind is going to carry pictures and documents in excess of 16 gigs on their phone, people buy SD cards so they can have more apps, plain and simple and if the phone makers and OS makers along with developers cant figure that out well they just aren't as smart as they think they are, my next phone will be another Windows Phone and it will be unlocked so I dont have to stick with any one service

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

ZTE Maven 2 would be a decent phone only if they would allow you to install apps to the SD card, some Marshmallow Phones do have this option when formatting SD card but the Maven does not, I even unlocked developer mode and nothing their to change this in Developer settings that I could find. I think they only do this on Go-Phones and other cheap phones, at least Microsoft didnt go this route on their cheaper costing phones

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.