For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
DanQ's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, January 28th, 2004 7:00 AM

Closed

Help on a Nokia 6820

I just can't configure the phone with the right settings because I got the phone from Hong Kong and it's still set up to work with Asian companies. The phone had been "unlocked" and with the help of an AT&T SIM card I can make and receive calls, but the whole internet stuff  is messed up, I can't even send text messages (and there's no need of internet for that) because of the misconfiguration. All I need is the connection settings from any other phone, and if it's the Nokia 6800 much better. Thank you.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

20 years ago

@tfigurel wrote:

That won't work since the 6820 is a WAP 2.0 phone and the 6800 is a WAP 1.2.1 phone.

• menu
    • Services
      • Settings
        • Connection Settings
          • Edit active service settings

I'm also having a problem configuring my 6820. When I get to the Connection Settings per these instructions, all slots are empty and when I click Edit active service settings the phone just goes back to the standby screen (looks like it resets itself in the process). Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

20 years ago

Just go to settings and do what "tfigurel" from AT&T says on the old message. You have to set home page as: http://home, and proxy as: wap.mobile.attwireless.net, on a :8080 port. That should do it. I have mine working perfectly, so if you have any questions let me know.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

20 years ago

Dan,

the problem is that I can't even begin to edit the settings. When I click the "Edit active settings" menu, I don't get to edit anything, I get thrown back to the main screen Robot Sad

P.S. For what it's worth, my firmware is version 3.18

Message Edited by dmapr on 02-04-2004 11:59 PM

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

20 years ago

T:

How

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

20 years ago

T:

How come I call AT&T and nobody knows about EDGE?. I see it on the website and I spoke to a technician and he told me that that thecnology is not available yet.????? I live in New Jersey and the website shows that it is available here. Any idea why they can't set up a phone with EDGE yet?

Guru

• 

106 Messages

20 years ago

Select "Active service settings" instead of "Edit active service settings" then the middle soft key should have the work Activate and the highlight is probably on "(empty)". Hit  Activate then Back and continue with the "Edit active service setttings".

Guru

• 

106 Messages

20 years ago

We aren't selling the 6820 yet so they probably don't have any training on it. There are other differences between the Nokia 6200 EDGE phone (which has a WAP 1.2.1 stack) and the 6820 (WAP 2.0 stack). Unfortunately, it is a slow process to get all the care reps up to speed.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

20 years ago

Been there, done that -- unsuccessfully Smiley Sad Activate doesn't complain, but Edit still doesn't work. The same thing happens in "IM and my Presence" setup.

BTW, does anybody have an idea where I can have the firmware upgraded?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

20 years ago

I am having the same problems as dmapr. Each time I go to Edit or "IM and my Presence" the mobile restarts and gotes to the main screen?

I could once Edit one of the settings but once I select GPRS as a barrier the same thing happens. I wonder if the problem relateas to GPRS?

When I called customer service, they sent me throw the air new settings for mMode, but when I try to access mMode, it says "No Responce, Try Again".

Did any one figure out why?

Message Edited by hani on 03-21-2004 08:51 AM

Guru

• 

64 Messages

20 years ago

There are two versions of the 6820.

The 6820a (eurasian version) is GSM 900/1800/1900.
The 6820b (americas version) is GSM 850/1800/1900.

AT&T is selling the 6820b.

So the 6820a lacks GSM 850, while the 6820b lacks GSM 900. Which one is better for you depends on your travel patterns, but overall the 6820b will give you better coverage in the U.S. and Canada, while the 6820a will give you better coverage overseas.

I have my T-mobile SIM in a 6820a and my AT&T SIM in a 6820b. T-mobile doesn't use GSM 850, so having a phone without GSM 850 isn't much of an issue.

Message Edited by ratatosk on 03-21-2004 03:03 PM

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.