For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
ATTDmitriyCM's profile
Former Community Manager

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 8:07 PM

Closed

[Closed] Nokia Lumia unlocking questions and discussion (All models)

Please use this thread for any questions or discussions related to Nokia Lumia devices unlock requests (all models).

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

@FlexViking wrote:

I've been to Europe about 10 times over the past 3 years.

Are you telling me that when I upgrade to a new Nokia 1520 on contract, AT&T won't unlock the phone for use while I am abroad because it's still in its 2 year contract.  Wow.  Good to know that AT&T appreciates me as as customer for spending $500 / month with them.

Fine.  I will buy my own phone to relieve AT&T of the "burden" of it.  Just reduce my bill by $20/month to cover the costs since you won't have to "susidize" me anymore.

Yep. Before, you would not have been able to get it unlocked until 6 months after it launched, even if you didn't complete the contract (which was the offical policy)

Now, you'll either need to use some other unlocked phone when you travel, to use a local sim, or roam on AT&T international plans. I unlock phones when I complete the contract - I have a small pile of them by now.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

It's silly.  They are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.   90% of their customers are paying the price for the 2%.  Do they really think after being a customer for 10+ years with my whole family on the plan that I am going to take my unlocked phone that IS ON A 2 YEAR CONTRACT and go somewhere else?  Paranoia if you ask me. 

I guess I will have to take 2 phones to Europe.  My Nokia 1520 for its awesome camera and my old Note 1 just so I can use a Eurpoean data plan.  I am NOT going to pay AT&T rates while I am abroad.  Locking my phone is not going to me make me pay those rates.  It's a LOSE LOSE result.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

@FlexViking wrote:

It's silly.  They are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.   90% of their customers are paying the price for the 2%.  Do they really think after being a customer for 10+ years with my whole family on the plan that I am going to take my unlocked phone that IS ON A 2 YEAR CONTRACT and go somewhere else?  Paranoia if you ask me. 

I guess I will have to take 2 phones to Europe.  My Nokia 1520 for its awesome camera and my old Note 1 just so I can use a Eurpoean data plan.  I am NOT going to pay AT&T rates while I am abroad.  Locking my phone is not going to me make me pay those rates.  It's a LOSE LOSE result.

Yep. I usually take two (or three, or four) phones with me when roaming internationally too.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Hello

I bought a mobile in AmazonSmiley Sad, nokia lumia 520, but I did not realize that is locked...I have been trying to unlocked it here in the UK but they told me that just with AT&T I could unlocked.

What should I do?

thanks

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

@claumilest wrote:

Hello

I bought a mobile in AmazonSmiley Sad, nokia lumia 520, but I did not realize that is locked...I have been trying to unlocked it here in the UK but they told me that just with AT&T I could unlocked.

What should I do?

thanks

Return it?

These are the two listings

Nokia Lumia 520 GoPhone (AT&T) by Nokia (Jul 26, 2013)

Nokia Lumia 520 8GB Black - International Version, Factory Unlocked WP8 by Nokia

Note how the unlocked one says "factory unlocked" and costs $100 more? That's why it costs more.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I received another 920, also locked but with a clear IMEI, like the previous 920. This one I might want to try AIO, I've heard good things about them.

Can those phones locked to AT&T be activated on one of their MVNOs, like AIO?

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hi, I was in US and bought an AT&T Lumia 520 gophone to use while on Holiday travelling through the United States. I am now back in Australia and would like to unlock the phone to use. I have tried the AT&T unlock form and online chat support  with no luck. Any assistance would be appreicated. Thanks. Frank.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Dmitiry:

Since you are an AT&T representative you can verify that I was able to get my Samsung Galaxy S phone unlocked when it was "under contract" i.e. it was not paid in full.  This was possible earlier.  Hence, unless there has been a change in policy there is no reason that AT&T would not provide me the unlock code given that it has been more than a year since I have had the phone.  In Jan. 2013 I was told that I did not have the phone for 90 days and once I had the phone for 90 days I could get the unlock code.  

Now I am back in the US and the unlock code serves me no purpose.  However, I am appalled by the lack of concern for customers at AT&T and intend to make sure that I use this example of bad customer serevice in social media as well as my marketing classes.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hi Mariana, I got exactly the same problem as Giovamata. Any advice?
-Lawrence

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Is there a reason why the company policy is as ridiculous as it currently is?

Whilst I appreciate in the USA, the 2 year contract is how cell phone companies are able to subsidize new phones and thus unlocking it from the get go for a customer doesn't make sense. However, it is downright stupid if the Lumia 900 has been out only since April 2012, I happen to need to unlock it now because am out of the country on a vacation and the policy is that the contract isn't up till April 2014 and so there is nothing anyone can do to unlock the phone.

I mean, are you serious? it's 5 months away from contract, I switched from T-Mo to ATT in 2012 AND it's a Lumia 900 that has a semi cracked screen. How ridiculous is it that I can't get this phone unlocked seeing I'll likely need a new phone/contract in April 2014??

If the intent is to drive customers away, then such service would definitely accelerate this.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.