For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
ATTHelp's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

231.6K Messages

Friday, May 14th, 2021 6:15 PM

Closed

3G Sunset Updates and Information

As you may have heard by now, we’re phasing out our 3G network by February 2022. This will help us make room for an even better network that will improve your experience.

To ensure our customers are prepared for this change, we have helpful information that will answer some of the most common questions:

• Will my phone work after the 3G sunset?
  • How do I prepare if my phone isn’t supported?
  • Does this affect PREPAID?

You can find answers to these questions and learn more by visiting our 3G sunset article.

Customers still using 3G devices will most likely also be contacted via Email and Text message with more information. You can also visit your local AT&T Store or Contact Us if you have questions about upgrading.

If you believe your phone is still compatible, please check out our 3G Device Support & Solution Article for fixes you can try. 

AT&T Community Team

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

Atts problem is the codec is standard.  They packages other stuff with hdvoice as att calls it's RCS package.  Numbersync video calling and smaller things are packaged in there.

Teacher

• 

76 Messages

3 years ago

@akbrian:  

Does HD Voice only work with VoLTE or will it also enhance non-VoLTE voice quality?

• 

175 Messages

3 years ago

I don't know the answer to that, but since VoLTE is becoming mandatory, the question is kind mute.

edit to add, I'm pretty sure voice over data has been around longer than LTE.

(edited)

Teacher

• 

76 Messages

3 years ago

@akbrian:  

Let me rephrase the question ...  if my phone has HD Voice does that mean that it also has VoLTE?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

3 years ago

@DaveNTx 

HD voice is AT&T's version of VoLTE.  

• 

175 Messages

3 years ago

@DaveNTx 

The easiest thing to do is the run the IMEI through the T-Mobile checker, that should answer the broad question. However, to actually be functional on the AT&T system the specific model has to be  has to be on the AT&T whitelist, regardless of capabilities.

Teacher

• 

76 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks @lizdance40 !

There is a lot of confusion about HD Voice and VoLTE and their requirement on phones to work on the new AT&T network.   If they are one and the same then that means the phones that are specified to work with HD Voice are VoLTE compliant.

• 

175 Messages

3 years ago

@lizdance40 

A few posts back Glimmerman76 clarified that. There is the general industry HD Voice codec, and then there is what  AT&T calls HD Voice, which is package that includes more than the HD Voice codec. At least that's how I understand it now.

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

To reiterate my point:  Whether or not the phone will work in the future on AT&T's network is a reasonable concern.  However, hijacking your currently working phone is not a reasonable response (or perhaps not even a legal one) to the issue.  Feel free to bombard me with texts letting me know about impending doom and plead with me to call customer service.  Just don't arbitrarily redirect my calls whenever you feel like.  That's wrong and potentially dangerous.

• 

175 Messages

3 years ago

@DaveNTx 

They are not necessarily one and same. A quick search will show that the term "HD Voice" has been around a really long time. Why AT&T didn't come up with a unique branding, since they aren't following industry standards for their overall  package is a bit baffling.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.