For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
ATTHelp's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

232K Messages

Friday, May 14th, 2021 6:15 PM

Closed

3G Sunset Updates and Information

As you may have heard by now, we’re phasing out our 3G network by February 2022. This will help us make room for an even better network that will improve your experience.

To ensure our customers are prepared for this change, we have helpful information that will answer some of the most common questions:

• Will my phone work after the 3G sunset?
  • How do I prepare if my phone isn’t supported?
  • Does this affect PREPAID?

You can find answers to these questions and learn more by visiting our 3G sunset article.

Customers still using 3G devices will most likely also be contacted via Email and Text message with more information. You can also visit your local AT&T Store or Contact Us if you have questions about upgrading.

If you believe your phone is still compatible, please check out our 3G Device Support & Solution Article for fixes you can try. 

AT&T Community Team

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

15 Messages

3 years ago

@Juniper 

This has nothing to do with any batch and it doesn’t matter where you live. This was a carrier update done with the IOS 15.1.

I proved this by going back to the previous update and the menu options returned. I had to go back to IOS 15.1 because I don’t have a back up of my phone on the previous update.

They should have waited until they pulled the plug completely and improved the LTE network to make up for the bad reception.

Also, obviously I do have an LTE capable phone since i am talking about switching back and forth between LTE and 4g (3g plus). My phone is an iPhone 13 pro and my wife has a 12 pro with the same issue.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

They did away with it because one tower could have 3g then another may not.  That causes no service if you have the 3G switch on.  It's about FCC e911 rules.

• 

15 Messages

3 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 

That makes no sense. Plenty of people don’t even update to the newest IOS update. If that were to happen, I would just switch to LTE, but it doesn’t happen. My reception on 4g (3g plus) is perfect in my area

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

Your one person ATT does it for the masses.  Like I said in the other thread find a new carrier if you don't like it.  Carrier setting will be sent out to remove 3G from older devices that can't get 15 or those update hold outs.

• 

15 Messages

3 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 

You know, suggesting to leave AT&T like there is some button you can push to magically be with some other carrier is so unhelpful. My complaint is not bashing AT&T as a whole. It is a reasonable complaint, especially with the lack of notice and explanation on their part. Don’t say they have been telling us this for over a year. I had no idea 4g meant 3g plus, and therefore had no idea the option to switch to it would be removed. How could I? It literally says 4g. They have been saying that the 3g network would be shut down, not the 4g.

Oh, and to say I’m just one person is foolish. There are probably countless other people who are very confused and worried why their phone suddenly removed the option for what AT&T called 4g

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

The 3G/4G thing has been my rub since Tmobile did it back in the early days of LTE.  Then ATT of coarse had to follow suit.  LTE and 5G are the terms that should be used when talking advanced cellular networks.  I also blame the GSMA as they allowed it to happen.  But then again ATT when back at it with 5Ge which is Advanced LTE but that got nipped in the bud like it should have.

• 

15 Messages

3 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 

What do you mean, nipped in bud? My LTE changes to 5Ge all the time

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

@Zinsco 

You don't see adverts for it anymore.  They are just to stupid to remove it from showing up on the phones.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/05/att-still-refuses-to-kill-misleading-5ge-network-icon-for-4g-service/

(edited)

• 

175 Messages

3 years ago

@Zinsco  said;

"..Why did you remove the ability to switch between LTE and 4g (which is actually 3g plus) with the 15.1 IOS update?.."

To me, that begs the question of what happens when one travels with the phone outside of the USA and needs to use a local 3g network?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

That is set by local carrier settings.  The phone will still connect to 3G.  Mine connected to 3G the other day

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.