Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
A

• 

25.7K Messages

Monday, November 28th, 2016 7:49 AM

Best way to pay my Bill outside the U.S.?

I am leaving the U.S. in less than 1 month. I am uncertain how long I will be out side of the U.S. My guess is 3-4 months, but could be up to a year. I would very much like to keep my number. My expiration date on my account is Feb 17, 2017 on the $45 dollar a month plan. (I am guessing I have a 90 day expiration because of the $45/mo plan)

My plan is to switch to the $.25 pay per use plan and pay $10 starting Feb 1st, 2017. Is there some kind of autopay for pay per use or will I have to log in to pay for more minutes manually? Are there any other cheaper or better options to keep my number alive while I am gone?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

7 years ago

Cool.  Have a safe visit.  

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

@thewizard562 wrote:

@Gary L I'll check on my account when I am outside the U.S. so I don't think it would be an issue. If it goes I will just call AT&T right away I guess. I have a google voice number I can use to call them thanks to @lizdance40. I can also call my own phone with the google voice # without any overages too.

@AnonymousUsing GV like this works really, really well. I use it, for VM, to get forwarded textual voicemails, and it's typically not more than 5-10 seconds post-regular-voicemail, before I get my GV voicemail text, very handy, and highly accurate (I'd place it around 90% word accuracy).

Plus it works via WiFi too, which is handy, you can forward your AT&T number to it.

It's a bit of a pain, if you're in/out of coverage areas, having to figure out when to turn it on/off, but for overseas travel, GV is a great way to go, plus you can forward a SIM # over there to your GV, all kinds of stuff you can do with it.

The only downside, is you can't forward texts themselves, without setting up a bunch of rules, and I've never had great success at getting this to work, bi-directionally.

Like everyone else said, safe travels, hope the communication-factor works out!

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

@Gary L wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gary L you're right. I just went to the AT&T store and they told me the same thing. I was told that I should be able to fund $100 and be ok for the whole year. So I guess I am going to do that.

To be clear, I thought that's what they did and then they lost the number because it was never used. (That's what I'm worried about, that's why I said have someone make a call once a month).

Not sure why you don't want to believe me on that but there is no requirement to use the phone. Please point me to any post that makes you believe that because I've never seen one. In every case I've seen of someone losing their number, it was because their account got to $0 for more than 60 days. 

If I could find it, I'd have linked it previously.  Searching this forum isn't perfect 😉 

I'd actually unsubscribed to this thread since I didn't have anything more substantial to say (and couldn't find a link) so I decided to butt out (I don't do that very often!).

But then I got tagged and I felt like they were crediting me with the correct way to do this, I'm not feeling like I gave them a correct way and wanted to stay out if it doesn't work.  If they had not credited me, I would not have followed up with that comment. It's got nothing to do with not believing you ( @sandblaster ), I wasn't even noticing that he was following your advice. I was noticing that he sounded like he was doing it "my way" and I don't recall suggesting a $100 card to be okay for the year. I was really just trying to clarify what I said previously (not to sell them on the point); mostly I was trying to say "I didn't say do it that way.".

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.