Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Protect yourself online
444bosco's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, November 28th, 2013 2:39 PM

Closed

Spam from att.net or sbc.net email addresses

I'm receiving a large number of spam emails addressed to me as "AT&T Internet Service Member." The email addressd to this account is "members@sbc.net."  The spam emails come from "customersupport@att.net"

PC spam filter catches them, but iPhone doesn't bc Apple is lame in this area.

Any suggestions? Hopefully I'm missing something simple and obvious.

Thanks.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, not just you. I got 110 emails from them (forged) just in the last 10 hours! Going crazy over here.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

There are two AT&T employees who posted on this thread -- see their comments above. Is there some way to ask them to look at the recent entries and unravel the mystery of "consumersupport@att,net"? If it is truly a spam generator, doesn't AT&T have a responsibility to stop those responsible? The same question is asked about the other spam addresses, like the one from JCPenney, AT&T Bell South, and several from the U.K.

Since I set the filter on Thunderbird, a black list on my AT&T account, and Cloudmark Desktop, for the past several days, only one or two spam messages show up in my inbox. But while this is a solution, we still need to know about these spam generators.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

I use Outlook (from Office 2003). I set filter rules using header data, not the senders address.

My two most effective rules are:

1) Look for text in the header:  IP.NAME.LOOKUP.FAILED

2) Look for text in the header:  MAIL.FROM.OVERSEAS.SOURCE

These two rules catch around 98% of all spam for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I have forwarded about 300 of them to the abuse@att.net. But I have not heard anything.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

This is not an official AT&T support email address. Unlike our corporate domain att.com, att.net is a public domain and anyone can register a free email there. Please continue to mark those messages as spam and report them following the process outlined below (please note, abuse@att.net doesn't respond to individual emails, but they're an appropriate department to forward spam emails to):

We can only assist with Spam that originates from AT&T Internet Services IP addresses. If you are reporting Spam believed to originate from a AT&T subscriber, we must have the full e-mail header from the original message in order to investigate the complaint. You must provide the header information from the original message and paste it into the body of the e-mail when you forward the original message with your complaint. We cannot accept attachments. When we receive your complaint, we will investigate the situation and take appropriate action based on the results of the investigation.

To report your complaint, please forward the suspected Spam e-mail to abuse@att.net. and remember to copy and paste the full e-mail header from the message into the body of the e-mail.

For information on finding the full e-mail header, you may wish to visit: http://spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html.

Note: This site is not affiliated with AT&T. AT&T does not endorse this site and is providing this link strictly for your information.

It's perfectly safe to add any addresses that end with att.net to Blocked Addresses list, it will not block any legitimate emails from AT&T as we use att.com corporate domain for those (except few service att.net email addresses, like abuse@att.net, that don't originate outgoing emails).

To block an address go to Settings (A gear icon in the upper right corner) - Mail Options - Blocked Addresses - enter the address and click on "+" button.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I am receiving about 80-120 spam emails from customersupport@att.net every day.  How can I block or stop these?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

So you are saying I have to go into each of these 150 to 200 emails, copy the header from each one, then send it in an email to abuse@att.net? I can't just forward the entire email?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I don't bother to send all the emails to abuse@att.net. I sent one that used customersupport@att and reported that the same address is used by dozens of different vendors. I don't know from the message  received from an AT&T employee (above) that anything will happen unless you send every email as requested. Too much work. Do it if you want.

Alternatively, if you set up the spam filter in your ATT email account and, if you use Thunderbird, use the Message Filter option to include the addresses and, optionally, if you use Cloudmark Desktop, you may reach the place where I am now: I have received ONE SPAM EMAIL in my inbox over the past four days. Over the same period, 80 spam emails went directly to my Spam folder.

Remember that one email address like customersupport, is the  vehicle for dozens of different vendors. If you block customersupport and the others I mentioned (JCPenney, BellSouth), you will essentially block many incoming spam messages. Don't bother to try to unsubscribe from the individual vendor. You should only be concerned about the joint email address they are piggy-backing onto. I only have about 8 addresses like customersupport in my filters; they seem to account for a lot of spam.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Is at&t working on the problem? I don't have time to look up headers and forward 50+ spam emails per day.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.