Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Protect yourself online
444bosco's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, November 28th, 2013 2:39 PM

Closed

Spam from att.net or sbc.net email addresses

I'm receiving a large number of spam emails addressed to me as "AT&T Internet Service Member." The email addressd to this account is "members@sbc.net."  The spam emails come from "customersupport@att.net"

PC spam filter catches them, but iPhone doesn't bc Apple is lame in this area.

Any suggestions? Hopefully I'm missing something simple and obvious.

Thanks.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I just realized that I have the same problem prior to coming to this forum. Noticed that I am getting spam and was going to set up blocking the sending address when I found that it is "customersupport@att.net", so I searched for similar spam stories at Google and found this. It seems to me that this has been going on for YEARS and earlier, similar posts were combined into this thread. What is being done? ATT? Anything? Could you please inform concerned customers? Thanks.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Will someone from AT&T please tell us whether customersupport@att.net is a legitimate AT&T email address. I tried to do this by phone, but was not successful.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I'm just writing to add my self to the list of folks who have been getting these SPAM e-mails that apprear to come from "customersupport@att.net".  I JUST started getting these, they get thru my spam filter, and there are 20 or more a day.  I'm furious - and there is NO place on the e-mail that provides an unsubscribe option.  

Since this all started immediately after i had a long conversation with AT&T regarding some e-mail issues i was having with my client mail program's connection to AT&T servers (Apple's Mail program) ... it seems to me that there IS some connection to AT&T.

I don't know what that connection is, but I'd liket to see someone from AT&T's abuse department look into this.  It's making me crazy.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

lorilani,

I'm getting 50+ a day. It looks like the emails, advertisements for dozens of different businesses, are using the spoofed email address. Maybe whoever "owns" that address sells space to other sellers so that they can use this unreachable address, instead of their own. So the only way to reeach the sender is by clicking on his ad link. You may be able to unsubscribe to the advertised business, but you won't unsubscribe to "consumersupport@att.net"  and will continue to receive these emails. I sent a message to that email address. The Daemon refused it because no such address exists.

I use Cloudmark Desktop Pro, which is a one of the highly-rated spam blockers, which cuts back on more than 90% of the spam I receive, sending it all to a Spam folder; I can review the folder whenever I want. I have the Spam folder set to empty every 7 days. In addition, I have all my email addresses forward the mail to one ATT account, so I don't have to look in every one. My mail program is the free Thunderbird. In that program, you can set up filters to block spam. I put "consumersupport@att.net" in the filter and it caught all but 2 of the messages from that email address. But, I now see maybe 5 of those messages in my inbox, instead of 50. Take a look at the address all spam comes from and you will find several others that do that same as the ATT spoof. One is from "JCPenney," another from "AT&T South," and there are more. They are all now in my filter. Today, for the first time in a long time, I had no more than 6 spam messages show up in my inbox.

I join you in urging someone from AT&T to explain what the story is with "consumersupport,net".

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I forgot to mention that if you have an @att,net email address, you can go into your mail account, click on the Blocked Senders list and add spam mail addresses. Putting in "customersupport@att.net" (without the quote marks) and jcpenney@jcpenney.com took care of most of the spam messages I receive. If you use Thunderbird, click on Tools/Message Filters, and add names to block. I put in the two email addresses above in this message, plus a few other heavy hitters and my spam is down to a manageable few that unique emal addresses, rather than customersupport, et. al.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I have the same issue.  I can block all email from customersupport@att.net but since I am an AT&T customer it seems like that might block some legitimate emails also.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Not if that address is not a legitimate AT&T address, which it does not appear to be. Still waiting to hear from someo9ne who knows more about the address.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

It seems that Att does not filter there emails. I may have to leave this system, I here that Time-warner and Comcast are merging 🙂

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I thought that the problem was by-passed as well by just putting in a filter and sending all to junk via Thunderbird's filter for anything coming from customersupport@att.net -- but now I am getting them at what appears to be <> in the from field even though when you look at the message it is still showing customersupport@att.net

No amount of tweeking on the filters seem to be doing anything.

Any suggestions??? This may be what finally makes me ditch att ...

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I am receiving hundreds of spam email messages with customersupport@att.net in the return email address. How can I stop it?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.