For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
sidv88's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, December 31st, 2014 1:41 AM

Very slow loading of facebook that only happens on AT&T U-Verse

I have had a specific internet problem these past few weeks that seems to be narrowed to AT&T U-Verse. Here’s a short background of the situation: Our house has had AT&T DSL for years, and it worked fine. We switched to AT&T U-Verse after receiving a letter regarding it, and the switchover happened on November 4, 2014. For about a month afterwards, the internet service continued as normal and everything seemed to be fine.

However, starting around the week before Christmas, I had extremely slow service with 1 website, facebook. It could take up to 5 minutes for the page to load, and when it did it often loaded incompletely. This happens regardless of what web browser I am using (Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox), and regardless of what device I am using (both of my Windows PC’s, my Android tablet, and my Android phone have a hard time loading facebook when they are connected to the AT&T U-Verse network). Only one of my PC’s is connected to the AT&T router by Ethernet cable; the other devices are connected by wireless. However, slow facebook loading has been an issue on all devices, and on all browsers in the network, and is still a problem for me continuing now.

I know this is not an issue with the facebook website or my facebook account itself, because I have been able to load facebook quickly and consistently on internet connections outside of my AT&T U-Verse network (at other people’s houses, on cellphone 4G, at the office, etc.) Also, friends signing into facebook at my house and connected to my AT&T U-Verse network also have very slow loading when signing into their facebook.

Strangely, this issue only seems to affect facebook so far. Other websites work fine in U-Verse as far as I can tell, and download and upload speeds on the U-Verse network seem to be normal for now. The U-Verse router that is installed is the Pace 5031NV.

The facebook slowness occasionally is non-existent. I would say roughly 20% of the time these days, I can load facebook cleanly and quickly without problems on the U-Verse network. However, this rarely lasts, and the next time I try to sign into facebook will take several minutes, with incomplete loading that often can’t load the chat list, multiple pictures not loaded, etc. 80% of the time trying to sign into facebook is like this now.

I don’t know how this problem started. Is there any way I can get this issue fixed? Thanks.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Your Uverse problems sound almost exactly like ours. We are on our 3rd modem/router in say,..1.5yrs. Same here, we had DSL service for many years with hardly ever a glitch and was kindly offered 'a great deal' one day to switch to "better, faster internet at a lesser price".... it has been a disaster ever since. Every time we have to call for tech help, it's the same q & a verbatim every time and turns out to be the modem. Got the new modem last Tuesday...it's the following Tuesday and well guess what??? Slow speed, takes forevvvver to load anything and everything. Knocks us of our roku, android tablet, laptop, iphn...it doesnt matter what you're using.
Cannot go back to the DSL we're told so..we're stuck with this trash. I think the modem/router is cheap junk or.. they are giving us some 'refurbished' piece of junk each time the modem is replaced. They dont really seem to have a "real answer" to permanently fix the probl once and for all so...after many long years with AT&T, we're leaving them for good.
I hate even dialing their number to get help because of the rigamarole they put you through first with their call bot guy...when you're already frustrated you dont feel like playing 50 stupid questions with a call bot who "I'm sorry, I didnt quite get that..." when you speak perfectly clear. They have really gone downhill.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

This appears to have worked for me too.

However, on my Motorola NVG589 it was under Home Network > Configure. Set IPv6 to off.

Thanks!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

That's the way I turned off IPv6; I have the same AT&T Router. I just checked, and it's still turned off. I've had no problems since taking this action.

Bruce

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I have EXACTLY the same problem with all Google sites: they are basically unusable.  This began after my gateway was changed from 2Wire to Motorola NVG... BTW, I have tried several different DNS servers with similar results...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I had this same incredibly frustrating issue. www.facebook.com and/or netflix would take foreever, for example, but many other sites would be fine. 

Turning off IPv6 on the Motorola modem fixed the issue.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Happening here too. Had to turn off IPv6 as well. Still not 100% but much better than before. This has been going on for months... ATT really needs to get on top of this.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Same problem here - only on wifi, only on my samsung  galaxy note 3. Just started about a month of so ago.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.