For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
ATTU-verseCare's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

Thursday, May 12th, 2016 4:26 PM

Closed

Knowledge Share: Fast Answers about Slow Internet

Questions about your Internet or WiFi? We’ve got answers on this live “Ask an Expert” session!

We have AT&T and Community experts available to answer all your questions.

Knowledge Share Invitation.jpg

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

@chart85

Sadly no, but a different wifi channel may have less interference and therefore provide a better experience. Best you can do for the RG is placement - not behind things, not on the floor, etc.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

8 years ago

AT&T changed my modem about a month ago, the original was from about 10 years ago. I was having intermittent complete loss of signal to phone, TV and Internet and WiFi. The issue I'm having with the new model is getting in the net. We receive notice cannot connect, cannot obtain ip address. If I shut down the modem (AT&T recommendation) I am able to connect. My opinion is i should NOT have to reset the modem once, twice or three times a month. Also we have connection issues when the grandkids come over but I believe that might be too many units trying to connect. Any recommendations?

Former Employee

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

@bevjan2654 You might consider what we have available in our online store as a first option. If they do not meet your needs, then go online and look for a wireless bridge (e.g. Ubiquity M2 NanoStations to reach from your home to your guest house. These products are easy to set up and only require that you plug in an access point if you want remote Wi-Fi in your guest house.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

@jmclark45 Multiple simultanious device connections on any network can overload it.

Not really sure waht is up with having the interittant disconnects.

Night need to get a line tech to do an on site test to make sure all your equipment and ATT's are working right.

OH! I would sugest trying @mibburgs sugesting for disabling ipv6.. that seems to be an ongoing problem for att's rg's for some reason.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @jmclark45,

What model RG do you have? 

Also, can you tell us what is around the modem? Electronics? Speakers? 

is the modem plugged into a surge protector or power strip?

-ATTU-verseCare 

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@jmclark45 wrote:
AT&T changed my modem about a month ago, the original was from about 10 years ago. I was having intermittent complete loss of signal to phone, TV and Internet and WiFi. The issue I'm having with the new model is getting in the net. We receive notice cannot connect, cannot obtain ip address. If I shut down the modem (AT&T recommendation) I am able to connect. My opinion is i should NOT have to reset the modem once, twice or three times a month. Also we have connection issues when the grandkids come over but I believe that might be too many units trying to connect. Any recommendations?

@jmclark45   See my post previously in this thread about disconnects:

https://forums.att.com/t5/Internet-Account-Questions/Knowledge-Share-Fast-Answers-about-Slow-Internet/m-p/4825789#M13287

Might try using Google DNS in your devices. Many devices find they can connect better using Google DNS. It bypasses Uverse RG DNS.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Step by step instructions. Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

8 years ago

@tigereyze209. Tech said line was fine right after install. Currently we have two laptops, and two smartphones is that too many?

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

@jmclark45 wrote:
@Tigereyze209. Tech said line was fine right after install. Currently we have two laptops, and two smartphones is that too many?

Even legacy dsl connections should be ab le to handle that kind of device load, no problem, as long as no ones trying to play world of warcraft, or all the movies in the u-verse library, at the same time.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

8 years ago

@att uverse technical care. Not sure of model I am not at home right now. Yes plugged into surge power bar. Speakers are within 1 foot of modem as is one laptop.

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

8 years ago

Hello, @jmclark45!

We'd like to take a closer look at what's going on with your service. Please click here to send us a private message with your contact information, the best time to reach you, and a brief summary of the issue.

Thanks!

-Mariana

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.