For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Dutlive's profile

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Sunday, June 29th, 2014 2:43 AM

High Speed Internet Equipment Fee

I ordered AT&T Uverse internet as a self-install  (no TV or phone, just internet).  There was a one-time equipment fee of $100.

After some problems with installation and delays in getting service, AT&T agreed to waive the equipment fee.  However, I just got my first bill and notice a $7 monthly charge for "High Speed Internet Equipment Fee."  Does this mean I will be charged $7 a month instead of the one-time $100 fee?  Or does it mean had I paid the $100 one-time fee I still would've been charged the $7 monthly fee?

I'd rather pay $100 once then $7 per month indefinitely, but the whole point of not paying the $100 equipment fee was AT&T's way of making it up to me for a botched installation experience.  Am I now paying MORE for equipment?

I just want to make sense of this fee to make sure I'm not getting ripped off.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

i have had at@t for 20+ yrs..i had a uverse modem that worked great..just fine..but at@t said i needed a new one.. but my old one worked fine..so i got the new one had to return ther old one before a certain date or i would be charged a 150$ fee..but i got my first bill and it has equipment fee..what gives? why is this... i would not have excepted it if i would have know bout the fees....ive been trick again by at@t..i about over this crap..

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

i think this is bout the 5th time my billl increased in 3 yrs..and its all been crap like this..the have toos and sorry sirs and we apoligize..local internet and cable is now just 10 buck more but ill be supporting my local bussiness..by at@t..

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Have a relatively new AT&T phone/TV/Internet bundle, just 4 months old.   Am in a rural location and was promised 10Mbps.   By promised I mean we had detailed discussions about it because I had hoped for much faster.

Originally charged $30/mth for their "Internet 10" plan.  As it turns out, the location is so "rural", so far down the line, that a visiting tech had to downgrade me to "Internet 6", and he commented I would save $10/mth.  He also installed a newer modem/router to help deal with the poor signal.   So I get my next bill.  Yes, my "Internet 6" is now $20/mth.   But I also have a new Internet Equipment Fee at $10/mth.

This is just for the record, so it turns up when folks are searching for this issue, as i did.  Dont need you double-speaking corporate shills run your mouths about how its in the TOS.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I hope this is in reply to JefferMC's information above - which was helpful, by the way.

I believe we were grandfathered in.  We paid the one-time fee to purchase our equipment sometime prior to 2015. We never saw a monthly charge for equipment on our bill. We closed our account this May. We paid our last bill which zeroed our account.  We then got a notice to return equipment.  We called and told them we purchased it, but we were moving out of the country and didn't need it any longer anyway. They looked at our account, said it was a glitch, and not to return the equipment. We got another notice. We contacted ATT again through an online chat.  The employee looked at our account again, apologized for the problem, and promised to take care of the issue. We've now been harassed by two debt collectors trying to get us to pay for equipment that ATT told us TWICE not to mail back. So, all-in-all, we disputed the charge with ATT and thought it was resolved. We disputed it with the first collector and thought it was resolved.  I've just gotten off the phone disputing this with the second collector, and I'm furious. Does anyone on the forums resolve issues or is this just an information sharing place?  Thank you.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

6 years ago

@theaschehougs wrote:

I hope this is in reply to @JefferMC's information above - which was helpful, by the way.

I believe we were grandfathered in.  We paid the one-time fee to purchase our equipment sometime prior to 2015. We never saw a monthly charge for equipment on our bill. We closed our account this May. We paid our last bill which zeroed our account.  We then got a notice to return equipment.  We called and told them we purchased it, but we were moving out of the country and didn't need it any longer anyway. They looked at our account, said it was a glitch, and not to return the equipment. We got another notice. We contacted ATT again through an online chat.  The employee looked at our account again, apologized for the problem, and promised to take care of the issue. We've now been harassed by two debt collectors trying to get us to pay for equipment that ATT told us TWICE not to mail back. So, all-in-all, we disputed the charge with ATT and thought it was resolved. We disputed it with the first collector and thought it was resolved.  I've just gotten off the phone disputing this with the second collector, and I'm furious. Does anyone on the forums resolve issues or is this just an information sharing place?  Thank you.

This is primarily an information sharing place.  However, you can contact a customer service group by sending a Private Message to @ATTU-verseCare.  (Click on the name and select Send Message).  Include your U-verse account number and the best way and time to contact you.

Once a "debt" (real or imagined) gets turned over to a collector, it can be hard to call the hounds off.  Good luck.  If you don't hear back from your Private Message, reply here and let us know.  Actually, reply back and let us know however it turns out.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.