For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
TimVi's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, February 13th, 2013 1:41 PM

Microcell only gets power light

Help!

On installation, my Microcell only gets power light on.  AT&T Microcell support has tried to resolve this issue to no avail and sent me 2 more Microcell towers and still only get the power light.  

In Texas with Comcast, my old router, and my 1st Microcell, I had no issues.  We just moved to Deland, FL, Comcast not available so using Brighthouse cable, my old router and my 1st Microcell, only got the power light on the Microcell.  Now with AT&T support, 2 more Microcell towers and a new router, I still only get the power light.

I'll call AT&T again, but doubt they will help.  I've asked for a tech support person to come to my residence, but they say they don't offer that.  

Can anyone here help?  I'm not good with computers, so need very basic instructions.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

6 years ago

@Stoshu2017 - please answer @Avedis53 questions. Is it a white MicroCell and what is the tested voltage with no load? It is possible if the adapter is failing that it is delivering enough power to light the power light (which is not an indicator of sufficient voltage) but not enough to supply the radios and/or other components.

WiFi-C is your only other option (and preferable) if you don't need the MicroCell for non-WiFi-C capable phones.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Internet solutions are awesome, but NOT perfect.

I have the older model (a 151).  Noticed the power light was red and was the only light working.  Unplugged it and replugged it.  Power light is green but nothing else is working.  Measured the voltage on the power supply and it is 16 volts, just like it is supposed to be.

SO NOW WHAT?  I could purchase a new power supply but that will twist my attitude if I do that and have the same issue.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

5 years ago

@dltempler - if you've correctly checked the ac adapter with a voltmeter and it reads 16VDC +/- 0.5 with no load, then your adapter is probably ok. Have you experienced any sudden power outages?

The power indicator light just indicates that power is being detected. It doesn't indicate the quality (fluctuations) nor adequacy. If the light is a solid green, but nothing else is lit, that usually indicates that the adapter is just not delivering enough power to the radios (GPS/3G). The ethernet light should be on though because that just indicates a live connection to your router. The Computer light should never be on because that port should not be used (so many issues that Cisco did away with it altogether with the upgraded DPH-154 model, the black one).

As with all electronic devices that are on 24x7, the MicroCell could have just died. If that's the case there isn't anything that can be done because they can't be sent in for repairs. AT&T used to just swap them out if you were still under warranty or you got a sympathetic CS agent. However, as the MicroCell got closer to its EOL (sales were discontinued at the end of 2017), if AT&T sent out a replacement it was a refurbed model. I don't even think they do that now because support for the MicroCell is becoming less and less as AT&T gets closer to discontinuing the service, which will happen as soon as AT&T begins to dismantle their 3G network which will probably be sometime next year.

Without knowing more about how you have it setup and your type of service, it's difficult to say. Typically your symptoms indicate a failing or failed adapter. In which case a replacement would correct the issue. However, from what limited info you've posted, it sounds like the MicroCell itself has given up the ghost. What AT&T and us recommend now is WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) if your phone is capable and you have a post paid AT&T cellular account. If not, one alternative is to purchase a cellular booster (see my Cellular Booster Guide, link is in my sig line). However, you need to have at least 1-2 bars of cellular signal for them to work reliably. Your other alternative is switch to a carrier who offers better in-home cellular coverage.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I definitely have a good 16v on the adapter.  I checked with my multimeter.  I checked it on different power outlets too, just to be sure it wasn't the outlet.  I can use the WiFi calling but some people who regularly come to my house do not have that on their phones.  So the Microcell is helpful.  Before I start purchasing things I am going to try and find someone in my hood who has one, and plug into their adapter.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.