Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
What is happening with 3G?
MicroCellEarl's profile

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

Wednesday, October 18th, 2017 1:26 PM

Microcell not working

Hi Everyone,

I've used the white/orange ATT Microcell for almost a decade. Outside of the occasional restart, the device has performed well; without it, we have 1 bar of signal strength in our Wayne NJ home. A couple of weeks ago, we no longer had 4-5 bars of strength and the term "Microcell" was no longer visible on our iPhones. After recycling the unit, resetting it, cycling my router, etc., it still didn't work. However, it had all 4 lights solid green. Opened a ticket with ATT and they could find nothing wrong. So, thinking that my 10-year old MCell had given up the ghost, I bought a new one on Amazon - the black Cisco unit ($240). I transferred my family configuration to the new MCell on the website, got  4 green lights, email confirmation that my MCell was "activated and working", but no MCell service.

I use a pair of Linksys WRT-1900AC routers. Although I hadn't deliberately opened the ports outlined in the MCell manual before (the original unit worked anyway), I did so. Still no joy. Contacted ATT again. They told me to give them a couple of days, after which they let me know that "everything was working again". Indeed, I had MCell reception on my iPhone 7+, but neither my wife nor my daughter had MCell service. This situation happened in the evening; by the next morning, MCell was once again absent from my iPhone.

So, I contacted ATT again last night, updating my escalated support ticket. They told me that they could find nothing wrong, but will investigate "another aspect of the Microcell" and let me know.

I'm sorta at my wits end here.... ATT consistently recommends using WiFi calling, but that won't work in many areas where there is insufficient WiFi coverage. And that suggestion is nothing more than a band-aid, seemingly to get me to go away. My sister lives 8 miles from my home, has ATT and the same Cisco MCell unit and things are working fine for her.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? I've constantly had to follow-up with ATT - there is no communication coming from their end unless I initiate the conversation. 

I don't know where to go next with this

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

7 years ago

Hi,

OK - I wasn't able to examine my issue last night as I got home too late but I did see that the top light was blinking red. I guess I'd like to understand why this would occur. The GPS indicator is green and my address is correctly configured on att.com/microcell. Further, the MCell is on the same shelf where my original mcell was situated for many years. In fact, this new mcell is about a foot away from the window. The ATT site says that the mcell is activated, so I guess the info isn't "live". I mean I guess I could stick the mcell on the windowsill, but, again, the GPS light is green, which indicates that the unit knows where it is. Moreover, my address hasn't changed 🙂  and up to a few weeks ago all this worked fine. 

I live in Northern NJ, in a large suburb (population ~ 55k), so I can't buy the assertion that whatever ATT dB is being used to cross-reference locations has changed in some way. So, I'm confused about why my location can't be confirmed, as it were. And I don't know what my next step is, other than putting the mcell on the windowsill, which I don't think would have any effect.

I understand about WiFi-C, but the technician in me is resistant to the idea that - although this has been working, and most likely continues to work for others (my sister, for instance), that it won't work for me anymore? That doesn't make much sense to me. I could see this if I lived in some remote location, but I don't.

should I re-engage ATT tech support again?

thanks for the conversation; I've learned a lot

Earl

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

7 years ago

@MicroCellEarl - the solid green GPS light means that the GPS checking was completed, it does not mean that GPS location was confirmed. This is all covered in my Tech Guide as well as Initial Activation, nightly maintenance checks, etc. All require that the physical location of the MicroCell be verified, either by GPS coordinates sent by the MicroCell or verification to the closest tower if sent GPS coordinates don't match the locational database.

Did you check the ac adapter with a voltmeter? I apologize if I'm repeating myself but I don't remember if you did or not. Even the new adapter if you purchased a brand new MicroCell from AT&T.

Please read my QuickTips about sending a pm to ATTMobilityCare with the information that I suggest. It could be that there is something amiss with your account and the locational database. AT&T can sometimes do what's called a GPS Bypass but that is only a temporary fix so the underlying cause needs to be addressed. Again, WiFi-C is the way to go as long as your MicroCell is powered off.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I have a similar story with an unhappy ending.  Around Christmas I wanted to add a house guest to my microcell as he was working and the reception here (another story) is bad.  All I got over trying for a few days was the system was down for maintenance.  I have been using this white microcell for at least ten years.  When I contacted ATT I went through several first line support people who "promised" that the activation would work.  Several also promised to call me back to make sure it did.  Not one did.  I then was pushed to technical support and I worked with multiple people, sometimes as many as three on the same day, who basically did the same things over and over again to no success.  They also had me replace my router, open some ports, and simplify my network (the one that had worked for 10 years).  And again I was told at least 5 times "I will call you back in (either an hour or 90 minutes).  Not one did.  Finally a tech decided that my white microcell us defective and had a black one sent.  But they didn't enter the serial number of this microcell into their system so it couldn't be activated.  A work order was opened with a 5-day time.   I was told multiple times that when the work was done I would get an email.  Never happened.  Unbelievably, this sequence was repeated twice more.  A new black microcell was sent, not registered in the ATT system, work order opened, microcell registered in database,  and multiple attempts to activate it all failing.  Along the way I was given multiple promises of call backs, wrong contact numbers, saw an ATT splash pages saying they were having technical problems at least 50 times, and last a text number where we set up a time for a followup call.  It didn't happen even after I texted they tech to remind her.  I can only conclude since this took place over a months time, across different levels of support, and was uniformly "make a promise but don't followup" that it is ATT policy to stop support for the microcell and try and push us to buy new phones.  It might work but it won't be with ATT.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

6 years ago

@lrtman - the older white MicroCells are prone to failing ac adapters so that's why we recommend you check the adapter with a voltmeter first to ensure that it is delivering 16VDC +/- 0.5 with no load.

Just to cover bases your house guest needed to have an AT&T cell phone to be registered on your Approved Users List.

It could be that your service area (MicroCell) was in fact down due to maintenance, weather-related issues, etc. Support is rarely told the details as to why there may be outages or issues with the registration database. However, a month is a bit too long.

You are correct in that support for the MicroCell is seriously lacking. That has always been a problem in the past and is becoming worse and worse now that the MicroCell has been discontinued (as of Dec. 31, 2017). Support is supposed to last thru this year but I have my doubts. WiFI-C (WiFi Calling) is the preferred method now for poor in-home coverage. However, it does require a phone that is WiFi-C capable and a post paid AT&T cellular account. AT&T will eventually pull the plug altogether on the MicroCell so I'd plan for that but either upgrading your phone, purchasing a cellular booster (if you can get at least 1 - 2 bars of cellular signal), or switch carriers.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Perhaps you missed my main point. Of the dozens of techs I talked with several made support promises such as “I’ll call you in an hour to see how it is going”. Not one did. Not one. Here is a text from ATT setting a time to call but the call never came. The behavior was too universal to be accidental. You are correct that I need new phones (iPhone 5S) but it will cost me more than $1000 to upgrade. I am sure not going to go with ATT after this.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

6 years ago

@lrtman - no, I didn't miss your point. AT&T MicroCell Support has always been lame. That's why I wrote the Tech Guide (see link in my sig line) because of the issues I had years ago with my MicroCell. But now that the MicroCell has officially been discontinued, support is going to get even worse and will eventually stop altogether, as will the MicroCells. Switching carriers is certainly an option, and AT&T will lose customers over this. WiFi-C is really the way to go because call quality and reliability is so much better, but AT&T has some restrictions on that as well which has already become problematic.

I purchased an iPhone SE for my wife at BB. It was a locked pre-paid phone but I only paid $125 for it and never used the pre-paid SIM. Her phone number was the same so all I did was register it to the AT&T network under our family plan and she was good to go. I can always get it unlocked down the road should we see a need to do so. My iPhone was purchased unlocked from Apple.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Could the problem be in the power supply. I tried 3 black microcells and none would work but ATT never sent a new power supply. Everything else has been replaced.

BTW, I read your stuff and found it super informative. I hoped you were wrong about the no-notice end of service but now I am convinced it has or will happen. Too much institutional behavior going on with ATT support.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

6 years ago

@lrtman - AT&T not sending a replacement ac adapter with replacement units has been a long standing issue, especially when most of Support hasn't a clue as to the issues with the adapters and how to check them. My Guide was never "officially" approved by AT&T so the CS Agents are technically not allowed to refer to it to help customers.

I would be very surprised if AT&T announces anything that's easy for the MicroCell customer to find, about the termination of the MicroCell's ability to connect to the Mobility Servers. They handled the discontinuance of the MicroCell very poorly so I would expect nothing less of them when the end comes. I have been asking if they could sent out a text message to all active users/accounts but that has fallen on deaf ears.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

6 years ago

You never said what your Mcell indicator lights were doing.  Are they all solid green?  Any flashing?  Any red?

Ten year old adapter?  Test your AC adapter.  I'll bet Otto's life that it is bad.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Good Morning,

I found your thread while looking for help on my Microcell not working.  While most of the conversation is way over my head I thought I would share my experience. 

When I first got the M-Cell about a year ago, it worked great. As of late however I have to power down my devices and restart them every time I leave the house and come back in order to get it to pair.  Today I tried to log on to the M-Cell website and it is “down” while they fix some issues.  Pretty sure the issue lies within AT&T and not our devices. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.