Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
What is happening with 3G?
MicroCellEarl's profile

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

Wednesday, October 18th, 2017 1:26 PM

Microcell not working

Hi Everyone,

I've used the white/orange ATT Microcell for almost a decade. Outside of the occasional restart, the device has performed well; without it, we have 1 bar of signal strength in our Wayne NJ home. A couple of weeks ago, we no longer had 4-5 bars of strength and the term "Microcell" was no longer visible on our iPhones. After recycling the unit, resetting it, cycling my router, etc., it still didn't work. However, it had all 4 lights solid green. Opened a ticket with ATT and they could find nothing wrong. So, thinking that my 10-year old MCell had given up the ghost, I bought a new one on Amazon - the black Cisco unit ($240). I transferred my family configuration to the new MCell on the website, got  4 green lights, email confirmation that my MCell was "activated and working", but no MCell service.

I use a pair of Linksys WRT-1900AC routers. Although I hadn't deliberately opened the ports outlined in the MCell manual before (the original unit worked anyway), I did so. Still no joy. Contacted ATT again. They told me to give them a couple of days, after which they let me know that "everything was working again". Indeed, I had MCell reception on my iPhone 7+, but neither my wife nor my daughter had MCell service. This situation happened in the evening; by the next morning, MCell was once again absent from my iPhone.

So, I contacted ATT again last night, updating my escalated support ticket. They told me that they could find nothing wrong, but will investigate "another aspect of the Microcell" and let me know.

I'm sorta at my wits end here.... ATT consistently recommends using WiFi calling, but that won't work in many areas where there is insufficient WiFi coverage. And that suggestion is nothing more than a band-aid, seemingly to get me to go away. My sister lives 8 miles from my home, has ATT and the same Cisco MCell unit and things are working fine for her.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? I've constantly had to follow-up with ATT - there is no communication coming from their end unless I initiate the conversation. 

I don't know where to go next with this

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

7 years ago

@MicroCellEarl - which model(s) of iPhone do you have? You may be able to just do WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) and not even need a MicroCell (unless other phones need access because they are not WiFi-C capable). I mentioned that back in post #4.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

7 years ago

I'm kinda wed to the mcell for the following reasons:

1. The system was working and stable for about a decade, so it should work, especially if ATT sees it as working from their end.
2. I purchased a NEW MicroCell and this issue has dragged on for offer a month so Amazon won't let me return it. I don't wish to be out $240

I see no reason why this cannot be made to work again.
I have a 7+
My wife has a 6s
My daughter has a 6+ ( this used to be mine and all 3 devices used mcell up to this issue)

Thanks for your interest and your replies

Earl

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

7 years ago

@MicroCellEarl - it really sounds like something has affected your other two iPhones because if it was the MicroCell, then none of them would connect, not just one out of three from the same mfr. Check the other phone settings against your wife's phone.

I would also seriously see if WiFi-C works for you because that may be your only other alternative (other than a cellular booster). Just make sure the MicroCell is completely powered off before you set WiFi-C up.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

7 years ago

Hi Everyone

You won't believe this, but we just finished dinner and I remembered to check the settings on my wife's iPhone, to try and see if there were and configuration differences between it and my iPhone that could explain why her phone can see the mcell and mine cannot. I look at her phone, and the mcell annunciator is missing. I asked my wife and she told me that the mcell wasnt visible this morning on her phone, either. It was visible last night.

I haven't touched the router since I last posted about it.

Weird.

Had anyone seen anything like this before?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

7 years ago

@MicroCellEarl - the only time I've seen something like this was when the ac adapter was going bad and the radios just weren't getting enough power or consistent power. That's why checking the ac adapter is one of the first things we ask about. Even a brand new adapter should be checked because you never know. Homes are like faraday cages a lot of times so sometimes you have to move the MicroCell around to get the best signal propagation. That was a lot easier with the white MicroCells because you had the option of using an external antenna extension, but that was done away with on the black MicroCell.

If all of the lights are a solid green then there is connection to the AT&T Mobility serves so that sort of points back to the phone and/or your account. You haven't changed your account from a postpaid to a prepaid have you?

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

7 years ago

Hi

I just woke up to an Error text message that the MCell's location does not match the registered location. I relocated it from the upper to the lower floor of my home. The locations are~15-18 linear feet apart. I'll look at the wen settings when I get to work. Interesting that I didn't get this sure when I moved my original mcell in the opposite fashion. But if this is all that's wrong, I'll be happy.

I'll update later this evening.

Thanks everyone,
Earl

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

7 years ago

Hi,

Before I left for work I checked the MCell and, indeed, the upper-most light was red and blinking. Again, the device is in the same house as before, it has jut been moved downstairs (and, to be accurate, much closer to a window than had been the case). I visited att.com/microcell and my setup reads normal and activated. I guess that when I get home tonight, if the unit 's signal light is still blinking red, I'll disconnect it and then re-connect it after a few minutes. Pity that this new black unit has no external antenna connector. I used an external antenna with the original white/orange mcell.

thanks,
Earl

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

7 years ago

@MicroCellEarl - a flashing red 3G light typically means that your location could not be verified. This happens most often in rural locations, where the sent GPS coordinates do not match what is in the locational database. We've also seen this happen with satellite internet service. Even tho the MicroCell is not designed for satellite or wireless broadband, and as such is not supported by AT&T or us, it can work and sometimes for a long time. But if the satellite moves even a tiny bit, or there are upgrades/updates, location is lost.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

7 years ago

Hi OttoPylot,

I'm not in a rural location..... I have good GPS coverage (I'm an amateur radio operator and have a GPS antenna on my roof that I use as a reference). The MCell is ~1 ft from a window.

this whole scenario has been weird. I will check at home later tonight

Earl

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

Sorting out issues like this is the reason I no longer use a Mcell.  While they work well for most people, they can be frustrating for many (just look through this forum).

I understand your reluctance to move away from the Mcell because of the money you have spent on a new one but with all WiFi-C capable phones in your home, it's a no-brainer to migrate to WiFi-C, sell your Mcell on eBay and be done with the antiquated technology.  After all, how much is your time worth trying to troubleshoot a Mcell/home network problem?

I had enough of the Mcell and switched to WiFi-Calling as soon as it was available.  After that, I dumped my old router and range extender that had issues also and went with an Eero Mesh Network.  Now I have a single SSID WiFi system that provides full ISP bandwidth coverage over my entire house (4 level, 4000 sq. ft.) and seamless WiFi Calling everywhere in it.

Yes, it cost some money but now I have reliable cellphone coverage everywhere in my house, where before I had routine Mcell issues with my home network.  I have enough things to deal with already without having to futz with a finicky Mcell.  IMHO.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.