Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
What is happening with 3G?
rjniles's profile

Scholar

• 

218 Messages

Thursday, April 26th, 2018 11:28 PM

MICROCELL Discontinuance Alternative

Otto P continues to remind us that the MicroCell has reached end of life and that by year end 2018 the service will go away. A cellular booster will not work for me as I get no signal even standing on the roof of my house (don't laugh, I tried it). Otto recommends that we utilize AT&T WIFI calling as a replacement. My issue with that suggestion is that you have to purchase an AT&T branded phone or an I Phone. Neither option appeals to me (I am a cheap skate and I have philosophical objections to Apple products). My wife and I use Motorola phones (she has a Moto X G2 and I have a Moto E4 Plus).

My alternative is Google Voice WIFI Calling (GV-WIFI-C). This product is now in Beta; it is a free app associated with a Google account that you can download from the Google Play store. GV assigns you a free telephone number (but likely not in your local area) that you can link to your existing ATT number. When connected to WIFI, you make an outgoing call using the app and the called person sees the caller ID showing your ATT number. Pretty straight forward and the call quality is good. Receiving incoming calls becomes more convoluted. The best option I have found is to use the ATT call forwarding option “call forward when unreachable”. I have permanently call forward when unreachable my ATT number to my GV number. When I am at home I have absolutely no over the air signal (unreachable), so the call is forwarded to my GV number that reaches me by my home WIFI. This will not work if you have some signal at your home and the local tower can “see” your phone.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@rjniles wrote:

Lizdance40

Not trying to be argumentative, but buying used I would still need to buy an AT&T branded Android to use the WIFI-C. Other carriers that offer WIFI-C allow you to use any phone that has the capability for WIFI-C to use their network. Seems to me that allowing AT&T customers to use the WIFI-C feature would remove traffic from a congested macro network. I realize that I have the option to go to another carrier but I am an AT&T legacy company retiree (since you are from CT, you remember SNET) and receive a pretty healthy discount.

Wifi calling still does not reduce traffic.  They call still has to go to a switch somewhere.  Volte does help reduce traffic because its ip based calling.  ATT has no plans to change their business model. ATT has proven that in the last 2 years.  BYOP people only account for about 5% of the customer base on ATT according to 2017 financial reports.  Thats why I think ATT is dragging its feet on allowing non ATT branded android phones to use enhanced features.

Mentor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

My brother has zero signal at his house because when the Cal State Hayward building at&t had their "tower" on was demolished they didn' replace it. The only way he can get att cell signal is with  the microcell. He uses an iphone 6 (prepaid model on a postpaid acct) which am pretty sure doesn't have WiFi-C and isn't going to pay big $ for newer model just to keep at&t service. I have a Note 8 I bought from Samsung for my at&t service because I don't like all the bloatware at&t puts on their branded devices. This means once they cut microcell service I will have zero signal when visiting my brother as will my 82 year old mom whose phone is on my at&t plan and is an older model.

This is not acceptable. My brother will be canceling his internet service in addition to his cell service once the mcell is no longer supported.

I have a novel concept for at&t. How about you replace the tower that was removed in August 2013 essentially wiping out service to everyone living in the Hayward hills. It's ridiculous to me that an mcell should even be necessary in what is a very populous area. 

Discontinuing the mcell service is just adding insult to injury for customers you've already been underserving for 5 years. While I have decent signal at my home I may be forced to change to another carrier so my mom and I can get signal when at my brother"s house. This is just a shameful way to treat customers who've been with you since you were PacBell mobile. 

Scholar

• 

218 Messages

6 years ago

Agree 100% with KCTIVN.  AT&T uses the MicroCell to provide service to their customers in areas that AT&T provides poor or no service and uses the customer's internet to do it. With the MicroCell they do not restrict the type of phone you use and even provide service to prepaid phones if the primary account holder is a post paid customer. Since AT&T is discontinuing the MicroCell in favor of WIFI-C, it seems to me they need to provide it under the same conditions. Just got off my soap box.Smiley Happy

Glimmerman76 says the WIFI-C does not reduce the traffic on the macro network but it does reduce the traffic on the final connection to the customer, the cell tower to phone link.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@kctlvn wrote:

My brother has zero signal at his house because when the Cal State Hayward building at&t had their "tower" on was demolished they didn' replace it. The only way he can get att cell signal is with  the microcell. He uses an iphone 6 (prepaid model on a postpaid acct) which am pretty sure doesn't have WiFi-C and isn't going to pay big $ for newer model just to keep at&t service. I have a Note 8 I bought from Samsung for my at&t service because I don't like all the bloatware at&t puts on their branded devices. This means once they cut microcell service I will have zero signal when visiting my brother as will my 82 year old mom whose phone is on my at&t plan and is an older model.

This is not acceptable. My brother will be canceling his internet service in addition to his cell service once the mcell is no longer supported.

I have a novel concept for at&t. How about you replace the tower that was removed in August 2013 essentially wiping out service to everyone living in the Hayward hills. It's ridiculous to me that an mcell should even be necessary in what is a very populous area. 

Discontinuing the mcell service is just adding insult to injury for customers you've already been underserving for 5 years. While I have decent signal at my home I may be forced to change to another carrier so my mom and I can get signal when at my brother"s house. This is just a shameful way to treat customers who've been with you since you were PacBell mobile. 

@kctlvn

There was a reason that tower was not replaced... Zoning could be one...  City demanding to much...  I know in CA they like to demand things like palm tree looking cell towers or cell towers that look like a tree of some kind.  Here in the Midwest we don't really care what a cell tower looks like as long as we have coverage.  It sucks the tower was not replaced...

As for your brothers iphone 6 even tho its a prepaid model it will have wifi calling as I have one as a backup for the kids if they break their phones.  He may need a new sim card is all.  If he has post paid he has wifi calling.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

6 years ago

@kctlvn

Easy on the knee jerk reaction.  

The iPhone 6 is capable of WiFi calling as long as it’s on a postpaid account.  Always has been since day of release.  It was AT&T’s first WiFi-c capable phone.  

Your moms phone is an older model ATT phone?  Which one?   WiFi calling is available to Samsung models back to the GS5 and LG models back to the G3.  

BTW the bloat on ATT phones is no worse on the branded phones than on non branded.  Different, not less.  Starting with the GS8 Samsung put far less on the phone and most can be uninstalled.  It’s not like the old days when apps were intrusive and couldn’t be removed.  

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

6 years ago

@kctlvn - I purchased my wife an iPhone SE from Best Buy which was a pre paid AT&T phone. I just swapped out her SIM card, never activated the pre paid plan, and she was able to use the family post paid account and was up and running with WiFi-C. 

@rjniles - I am in total agreement with you in that AT&T has really messed this "transition to WiFi-C". The announcement of the discontinuance of MicroCell sales was not handled well and the public announcement was not easily found on the website. Once the MicroCell is officially laid to rest, my guess is that that will be bungled as well as far as adequate advance notice. I am trying to keep current on what AT&T is going to do so I can post to the Forums like I did last October but its anybody's guess as to when that will happen. Apple fanboy? Really?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

6 years ago

@OttoPylot

I would hope that those of us with m-cells would rate an email or text notice when it comes down to the end.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40 - I have been pushing very hard since about October for some kind of text/email notification for all active MicroCell accounts once the nail is finally put in the coffin. I've even reached out to executives who I have access to besides our Forum and nothing has come back to me.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

6 years ago

That can't be a surprise to you Otto.....

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

6 years ago

@OttoPylot  No foresight.  😖

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.