For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
EARLSIMPSON's profile

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

Wednesday, December 31st, 2014 11:46 PM

Micro cell issue

I can text but not not do voice on my new Black Micro cell. Also I can receive calls,

When I try to make a call it immediately fails.

I have a COX cable wirless phone modem, switch, and a wireless router. I uplugged the wireless router with negative results. No connection on the switch can be had.

All green lights.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

Could not find that item in the menus. Could it be called something else?

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

Go Mobile! Activate and Manage settings quickly and easily right from your iPhone. Download the free MicroCell iPhone app at the Apple App Store. Data rates apply

So will this app do anything for me with this issue?

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

@OttoPylot wrote:

It is possible that if Cox offers VoIP service, their modem is configured specifically for their VoIP and my not play nicely with AT&T's VoIP requirements. Som modems are configured to use  SIP ALG protocols. Vonage, for example, uses the SIP ALG protocols (Session Initiating Protocol Application Layer Gateway) which is used to try and avoid configuring static NAT on a router. Many routers today come with this feature enabled by default. While ALG could help in solving NAT related problems, the fact is that many router’s ALG implementations are wrong and break SIP. SIP ALG will not cause problems with the MicroCell as the MicroCell does not use SIP protocols. However, in many cases, the SIP ALG is implemented poorly and can cause other issues. If you can make your MicroCell work with SIP ALG turned off, then it’s an indication that SIP ALG is implemented poorly causing MicroCell traffic disruption even though, in theory it should not.

Amazon review
This amplifier is well made, durable and meets all of the requirements for professional use. It's is widely used in the cable industry (contrary to some of the reviews here). There are several companies that make these and they all meet the frequency requirements (5-1000 MHz) for modern HFC cable systems. It is provided and installed by cable guys and it costs $40-$50 on average.

First of all this device should only be used for your TV service. Do NOT amplify the modem line. You need to use the splitter to split one line to the modem and the other should feed the amplifier and the rest of your outlets. This amplifier will increase your modem upstream return level. Read the print on the amplifier : RTN(return) -8 dBmV. Your upstream power level will increase and your modem will have to work harder to communicate out. Also it will sometimes decrease your upstream signal-to-noise ratio (SNR).

The amplifier is not a do-it-all miracle device that will solve all of your problems. It simply amplifies the incoming signal. It does not filter the noise. This means your incoming signal needs to be clean and at acceptable level before the amplifier. So if you have 4 or more TVs (on average, but this may vary) you will most likely benefit from this purchase. If you have more than that you should buy the single port version (cheaper) and use an 8 way splitter. In fact if you buy a single port version and use a 4 way splitter you will get the same signal levels.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

So I checked all my connections in the attic and I have a clean Cox cable two way splitter with my modem on one line and the amplifier on the other.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

So at this point in time I am thinking it is the interface between the 5S and MicroCell or the Microcell. Since I have shut down LTE, wifi, and rebooted as well as have the latest IOS. I am leaning towards bad FW in the MicroCell or it is partially broke. It can do everything except start a voice call.

Too bad as it has great potential.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

I'm not quite sure why you posted the amplifier review. It clearly states that it's to be used for tv only. It is a good amplifier for cable use.

My guess is that there is an incompatibility somewhere either with the amplifier or the Cox modem iself. We do know that not all modems will work sufficiently with the MicroCell. Either it's because it is configured to work only with the ISP (settings not avialable to the user) or it has protocols (similar to SIP ALG) that interfere with the voice traffic. Typically voice quality issues have something to do with the ISP in regards to hardware, line quality, etc. The MicroCell is just a dumb device in that it sends packets up and down. Anything that interferes with the packets can and will affect voice. As far as a firmware issues, that's possible but unlikely as all MicroCell's will ship with the same version unless it's an older vesion in which case it will get updated during the Initial Activation process. You can have all green lights on the MicroCell indicating that you have a connection to your router/moodem, GPS, and the AT&T mobility servers but that's all the lights indicate. Voice quality is what happens to those packets as they travel thru your ISP. It really is a shame that it apparently is not going to work for you. You could message CustomerCare and detail your issue, what you have done, your account information, the best way for them to contact you and your location. That sort of by-passes phone support and assigns one person to your case. I really do believe that it has somethting to do with your setup but if that's the only way yout can configure your LAN, then the MicroCell might not be the device for you. I can see if the Admins have any ideas from here if you want.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

What amplfier review.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

The Amazon review, my mistake.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.