Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
What is happening with 3G?
Avedis53's profile

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

Monday, February 18th, 2013 4:49 PM

Mcell requires power cycle every day to regain connection to iPhones

While I didn't encounter this problem initially when I started up my Mcell a few months ago, it has now become a daily ritual that I hope someone here can help me with.

My setup:

Motorola SB 6120 modem -> Netgear WNR3500L router -> Mcell

The Mcell is connected to the router with a pair of Netgear Powerline 200 Nano Adapters because my modem and router are located in the basement with no exposure to window for the Mcell to see a GPS satellite.  The connection is good.

My Charter ISP connection is 30 mbps down and 4 mbps and is rock solid.

What's happening and what I've done so far:

Usually once a day I will no longer see the AT&T Mcell indication at the top of my iPhone 5.  When I check my wife's iPhone 4S she has also lost the AT&T Mcell indication.

Turning the phones off and then on does not bring back the Mcell connection.  Switching Airplane Mode off and then on does not bring back the Mcell connection.

The Mcell has all solid green lights when I go to check it after seeing the lost connection.  If I power cycle the Mcell, the phones will then show an Mcell connection again until the next time they lose the connection which is usually once/day but not at any particular time.

I have the latest firmware on all devices.

When I check my router's admin page after a lost connection, the router indicates that the Mcell's IP address has not changed and it remains the same after power cycling the Mcell.

On the WAN page for my router, I have set the MTU size to 1492 and set the NAT Filtering to "Open" instead of "Secured".  No improvement after doing so.

Suspicious of the Powerline Adapters, I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the Ethernet cable from the Mcell to the Powerline Adapter to mimic a temporary loss of connection to the router to see if that affected the Mcell connection.  The Mcell connection was not lost.

I have not set any open ports or a static IP address for the Mcell yet.  Is what I'm experiencing indicative of this solution?  Does anyone have any other thoughts as to what try next?

I don't want to waste my time with an AT&T Level 1 tech support person because their suggestions are almost always worthless.  I have better luck contacting user forums and that is why I'm posting here.

Thank God I was able to convince AT&T to give me a Mcell for free because if I paid $200 for it, I'd be very upset right now.

Thanks In Advance!

Avedis53

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

That's why my breath is baited....not held.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

11 years ago

@Avedis53 wrote:

That's why my breath is baited....not held.

Smiley Happy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Could you tell me what "external antenna" means? Where do I buy one and what exactly do I call it when I walk into a store? Please excuse my ignorance, but I want to buy the right thing. Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

11 years ago

There is a small antenna input on the back of the MicroCell (I think it's even labeld antenna), not to be confused with the reset hole. You can purchase a variety of external antennas (that use the MCX connector) and plug one in. They are a very long, thin, cable with a flat end that you place on your window if you can't position the MicroCell next to a window with an unobstructed view of the sky. You can't buy them at an AT&T store so most people just Google MicroCell Antenna to find them.

For example:

http://www.amazon.com/MicroCell-Antenna-Wireless-Network-Extender/dp/B003X5FUOU

Explorer

• 

32 Messages

11 years ago

funny i have the same exact problem... for months no resolve.. router set up exactly to AT&T's specs.. disconnects every night requiring a power cylce... 7 pages of this and AT&T microcell all the way up to its affiliation with IPacess.com.. behond the lines tier two tech support... refuses to even acknowledge this as a know issue.. seems most popular problem here.." 3 at&t like new" replacements... one worked for a week or so .. today i have a flashing 3g red light but full bars.. AT&T baffled...  wont give me a new microcell..  but will pay up to 200 dollars for me to get a 3rd party... that makes sense right.. femtocell stystem is like brain surgery to these people.. most tell you that it only works with an existing signal.. thata a repeater or booster.. not how a femtocell even works.. ive heard every excuse to window. my ISP of course... the construction of my home... to replace my sim card.. hmm how does my sim card affect the function of the light on the microcell or anything other than the phone recognizing it.. and it does just fine when it works.. AT&T sucks..

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

11 years ago

I would suggest starting a new post with your issues so that it will be easier to address them and keep track of. We have no way of knowing how you have it setup, what your ISP details are, etc. If you bought the MicroCell new from AT&T, then you have a one year warranty and can get a warranty replacement if it is warranted. If you bought it second hand (from eBay as an example) then that's a different story. Contacting IPacess.com is a waste of time (I'm not even sure how involved they are, or were, with the MicroCell development). Even if they did contribute to the firmware, it's not their responsibility to troubleshoot the MicroCell.

Yes, the construction of your house can affect the MicroCell. A stucco house can act as a Faraday cage in some cases which can affect the signal from the MicroCell and/or the macrocell in the home.

A constant GPS signal is required at all times so the MicroCell needs to be within 18" of a window with an unobstructed view of the sky, or you may use an extension antenna if a window is not convenient as long as the antenna is attached to a window.

Your ISP can affect the proper functioning of the MicroCell if the speeds fluctuate, a port is blocked by the ISP (or an upstream switch is faulty), etc.

The above are some of the basic requirements for any femtocell currently sold in the U.S.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

Otto,

A couple of things regarding your FAQ.

First, under the section regarding Phone Not Connecting to Microcell, consider adding turning the cellphone off and back on again in addition to the other recommendations.  This is especially important for phones that have just been added to the Approved Users phone number list and is stated in the User Guide.

Second, regarding Mcell connection problems, I've been thinking about the quality of the Internet connection that ISPs provide and how it can vary over time.  As you may recall, I participate in the SamKnows internet quality monitoring program that was contracted by the FCC.  As a result, Internet connection parameters such as download speed, upload speed, latency, packet loss, RTP jitter, and a host of others are monitored on an hourly basis by my router and I can access the data on their website.

I've seen wide variations in these variables especially packet loss, which for me has varied from virtually zero to over 5%.  I had an especially bad period of packet loss over a year ago where it was consistently running 4-8% for days and was causing all sorts of problems for me.  I called Charter and they came out and tested my line with their fancy equipment and verified the problem.  They started testing at the pole and found some connectors full of water and replaced them but that didn't help.  They kept working back on my node and eventually found an amplifier/repeater that was bad a few blocks away.  They replaced that and my packet loss went back down to about zero again.

My point is that Internet packet loss is affected by a variety of things from ISP equipment malfunctions to periods of high usage.  Since there are so many different ISPs out there and their infrastructures vary significantly in age and maintenance frequency, I can't help but think this could be a cause for some of the intermittent Mcell problems that so many are experiencing.  

I am unfamiliar with femtocell communication protocols but I don't think it is much of a stretch to think that intermittent bouts of high packet loss could cause a Mcell to repeatedly drop it's connection to AT&T's Mcell Internet infrastructure and require the Mcell to be power cycled frequently.

I would recommend to people who are having issues with the Mcell and can't pin down the cause that they have their ISP test their Internet connection for problems like packet loss.  Eliminating ISP problems that may surface during testing could help their Mcell issues.  If the testing shows no problem, then troubleshooting efforts can be focused elsewhere.  

Explorer

• 

32 Messages

11 years ago

thats was one of the fix answers i got.. wait.. i pay you to use my internet to get service on my phone... now you want me to put a bandaid on an already bandaided problem.. for a 200 dollars piece of equipment... Thanks

Explorer

• 

32 Messages

11 years ago

again you rarely get the same info twice... i asked today if AT&T does anything at night around these times EST. 2 to 4 am.. Answer: no sir... this is the only logical answer.. lets to the math.. everyone has the same issue not the same internet.. Doh... the fact all the symtoms are identical clearly piont to the equipment and provider

Explorer

• 

32 Messages

11 years ago

nothing new about this issue .. still going on and posts back to 2011..everyone diagnosing same exact issues.. worked fine.. now doesnt.. up software and firmware bugs.. hence why mine working with the redlight flashing.. flawlessly going on two days .. hasnt worked this way for months... this is a well known un solved issue.. if you get the redlight and it works.. leave it.. iu dont care what color the light is.. what i care about is it stays connected as it should and doesnt need babysitting like a timer.. thats just pathetic

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.