For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
EMSMercenary's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Thursday, November 7th, 2019 7:46 AM

Cell phone extender...

I am looking to put in a cell phone extender(have no cell coverage in my trailer, but I do have the internet).  Since ATT no longer supplies/sells the MicroCell, what brand/model would you suggest?  

I have tried using WiFi calling, with limited success.  Many times(especially on incoming calls), the call will suddenly end about a minute in...  Plus, too many times the settings on my phone get changed and I have to go into settings and enable WiFi calling.

I am using a 4G LG Phoenix 4 phone(refuse to get an iPhone).  Family members have MicroCells, and my phone works fine on that system.

Any help would be appreciated?  Or, is there another alternative available?

Thanks in advance!!!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

4 years ago

And you have confirmed you haven’t really read or understood @OttoPylot, who tried to provide accurate information.

1.  Microcell specifically requires wired internet, which you stated you did not have.  This was the primary reason it was discouraged.  It is surprising it activated and works.  

2.  Microcell is 3g, you phone has 3g and will not connect to m-cell with its 4G/LTE bands.

3.  You actually did not state this was fine for a 1 year stop gap.

4.  Posts are public, and will be read by others.  Not all about you.

5.  You can unsubscribe using the 3 dots.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Pasting my original post...

"

I am looking to put in a cell phone extender(have no cell coverage in my trailer, but I do have the internet).  Since ATT no longer supplies/sells the MicroCell, what brand/model would you suggest?  

I have tried using WiFi calling, with limited success.  Many times(especially on incoming calls), the call will suddenly end about a minute in...  Plus, too many times the settings on my phone get changed and I have to go into settings and enable WiFi calling.

I am using a 4G LG Phoenix 4 phone(refuse to get an iPhone).  Family members have MicroCells, and my phone works fine on that system.

Any help would be appreciated?  Or, is there another alternative available?

Thanks in advance!!!"

Simply for clarification, not further discussion(or debate)...

Thanks again!

Walker

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

4 years ago

@EMSMercenary - the bottom line is that the MicroCell is not designed for wireless broadband, and AT&T even states as much in their documentation as well as my Tech Guide.  It can work but is unreliable and inconsistent for lots of technical reasons. That's why AT&T won't support those types of connections and neither can we. It's just too difficult to troubleshoot.

The point is that even if the MicroCell works to your satisfaction with wireless broadband, issues can and probably will come up. If they do, there is nothing we can do to help. That's why we are encouraging folks to turn to WiFi-C, investigate cellular boosters, or just switch carriers who offer better cellular service in a given area. Feb. 2021 is the latest date that AT&T has for discontinuing the MicroCell service, but it could be as soon as Feb. 2020. It all depends on when AT&T wants to start dismantling the MicroCell service and start using those resources elsewhere. We are just trying to prepare folks so they are not caught without cellular service because I doubt very seriously that AT&T will contact MicroCell users informing them on an impending shutdown of service.

A cellular booster is really your only other option if the MicroCell becomes too erratic for use due to its broadband connection.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago

Att could kill of microcells tomorrow.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

ok

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

4 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

Att could kill of microcells tomorrow.

My point exactly.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago

It's ok till att says more mcell.  I actually live look for them to kill it off at the first of the year when they will allow no more 3g activations.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

4 years ago

I think the first of the year is a bit soon but certainly sometime next year fer sure.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.