Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
What is happening with 3G?
brian.25's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, September 9th, 2013 3:24 AM

3G Microcell U-verse Dropped Calls After 30 Seconds

I recently switched over from DSL to U-verse.  Several months prior to that I had purchased a 3G Microcell and had little to no issues with it.  After the switch though, I have had nothing but problems.

The current issue is that about 30 seconds into the call, the person on the other end is no longer able to hear the voice of the person connected through the 3G Microcell.  Then usually about 1 minute into the call, it drops out.  If End Call is pressed, the iPhone connected to the microcell freezes for several seconds before returning to the home screen.  After this, the 3G bottom light on the microcell will often begin blinking as the connection to the AT&T servers appears to reset.

Initially I had 10% packet loss, but was able to resolve this with U-verse.  They scheduled a technician visit, and had the problem fixed before he even arrived.  I now have 0% packet loss and either an A or B rating with pingtest.net.

I also attempted to manually configure my router settings by changing the MTU to 1492 and setting up Port Forwarding for UDP 123, 500, 4500 and TCP 443 to the microcell in the Pace 5031NV router settings.  This had no effect, so I have since taken the further step of placing the microcell in the router's DMZ.

Since I occassionally would receive a 102 error message (the registered address does not match the actual device location) when attempting to deactivate and re-register the microcell, I verified with AT&T that the GPS coordinates being sent by the microcell matched my address, which they did.

I also took my iPhone 5 to the AT&T store to swap the SIM card.  This had no effect either.  Neither did disabling LTE on the phone or disabling hand-out on the microcell.

After many calls to tech support, AT&T finally sent me another 3G Microcell to try.  Unfortunately, this did not resolve the problem either.

At this point, I am considering trying out Charter internet or giving up on microcell entirely and trying Magic Jack.  At least with cable service, I would have the option in that case of bypassing the router for the microcell by connecting directly to the modem.

When I last spoke with AT&T microcell group they recommended I speak with U-verse or even Cisco for further troubleshooting as they blame the problem on the internet connection.  However, when I called U-verse, they were unable to help and transferred me back to Mobility for the microcell...

Running out of ideas.  Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions...

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

I am consistantly seeing this happen on my Microcell. I have the Motorola NVG 589 u-verse gateway. I really don't want to spend hours of my life trying to get AT&T to fix so I came here. I have had 3 calls drop just this morning! 2 with my boss. We no longer have a VOIP or landline. I read this thread but I am still not sure what to try. Maybe the IP?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

10 years ago

If you use a MicroCell you have VoIP service. Motorola NVG 589's are used with a bonded pair if your distance to the VRAD is between 3000' to 5500'. That being said, VDSL needs to be installed correctly because it's not very tolerant to line faults like bridge taps, etc. Your internet may be fine but VoIP is considerably less tolerant than internet access. Until you know that your VDSL is installed correctly and cleanly, troubleshooting your MicroCell will be difficult. I would check your line speed and VoIP capabilities and see what you get:

http://www.speedtest.net/

http://www.voipqualitytest.com/

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

I'm not the tech expert on this obviously. Here are some test results...

2014-06-12_1112.png

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

10 years ago

That doesn't look too bad but keep in mind that's just a snapshot in time. You might want to periodically check at different times to see if you can detect any wide fluctuations.

Dropped calls are usually a problem with your ISP and/or connection. It can be phone related but I haven't heard of any issues with the LG phones.

I'm assuming that the light pattern on the MicroCell is solid green (power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G).

If your RG meets the router requirements as listed in the Tech Guide (link in my sig) you might want to consider port forwarding to a staic IP address for the MicroCell. Also, if you have other devices on your network they may be taking priority over the MicroCell or using the same ports that the MicroCell needs to have open at all times.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Has anyone verified an N (or better) solution to this problem? Our G router has been kind of on the fritz recently so I need to decide whether to ask for an exact replacement or something better/faster. I don't want to go through the hassle of Microcell troubleshooting all over again, though, so I would prefer to ask for a specific router model if possible.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

10 years ago

Without going thru the entire thread above, what is the model number of your router, distance, etc. When you experience a dropped call, is that loss of connectivity altogether or is it a call quality issue? Are all of the lights still a solid green on the MicroCell (specifically the 3G)?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

@OttoPylot if you scroll up a little, you will see that you actually helped me resolve my problems back in January - thanks again! The resolution was to swap out my Pace 5031NV for a 3801HGV. The upside: microcell works. The downside: slower internal wireless network - but I can live with that.

In recent weeks the 3801HGV has become less reliable, either rebooting or or dropping the WiFi network for ~15-60 seconds at a time several times a day. If this is symptomatic of a failing device, I will want to replace this modem/router combo.

If I replace it, I am wondering if I should replace it with another 3801HGV or if there is a newer N modem/router combo that is confirmed to work consistently with the microcell - unlike the 5031NV I had.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

10 years ago

It's difficult for me to keep up with who I've helped and haven't. Glad my first suggestion worked.

I haven't kept up with what AT&T is offering because I don't have U-verse. I would suggest posting to the U-verse forum and asking the ACE's there because they will be better to help you than me. If you can't get a good answer, let me know and I'll touch base with some of the ACE's there. As far as what works with the MicroCell it's hard to tell. Sounds to me like you need to replace your gateway so let's see what they suggest and take it from there.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

My local tech is proposing bringing out an NVG 589. From the discussion above, it seems that members have been able to get the MicroCell working with the NVG 589, correct? Again, my MicroCell is currently working with a 3801HGV but that unit has started resetting frequently and I would really prefer the higher wireless network speeds of an N router.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

9 years ago

Hopefully the 589 will work better for you, provided it's installed correctly. Let us know if that solves your problem.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.