Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
What is happening with 3G?
Scorpe's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, February 24th, 2015 8:40 PM

Closed

3G Microcell No Handshake

Question:

I received a replacment miscrocell from ATT. Reactivated unit all lights are solid green but cannot get M Cell (iphone5) or Samsung Gax 5 to show on cell phones. On Gax 5 on Network operations on Gax 5 * searching for ATT Miscrocell* getting error message **failed to connect to mobile network via microcell ..try again.

Any suggestions

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

9 years ago

If you have successfully activated the MicroCell (solid green lights and confirmation email)and you still can't get the phones to find it, then Reset Network Settings on the iPhone (you will lose pw's etc so make sure you have them handy) and see if that will get the iPhone to recognize the MicroCell. On a Galaxy I'm not sure where that setting is.

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

I had to put an Iphone into airplane mode then hold it close to the microcell when I took it out of airplane mode in order for the iphone to connect to it.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

9 years ago

Did your iPhone have any other connection issues after that? Toggling Airplane mode has been one way to get the iPhone to connect if it didn't indicate "M-Cell" on the screen. It's an easier way than resetting network settings but it doesn't always hold because it's not a reset.

Scholar

• 

250 Messages

9 years ago

Turn off LTE on your phone under settings-cellular.  See thread LTE issue redux.  Reset network settings will likely not work and you will lose all wifi passwords.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

9 years ago

^^^^^ You are predictable if anything.

Scholar

• 

250 Messages

9 years ago

May be predictable, but I am correct.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

9 years ago

Not exactly. Disabling LTE can help at times but it is only a temporary fix for some and isn't the answer to all connectivity issues.  Resetting Network Settings has, and does work for some for various reasons. And yes, Reset Network Settings will lose your pw settings but it is an Apple Approved troubleshooting recommendation for iPhone connectivity, and other issues. It's analagous to a hard reset of the MicroCell.

Scholar

• 

250 Messages

9 years ago

Otto, I guess you don't read what I have said, or don't believe what ATT officially says.  They say to turn LTE off if you cannot connect with it on.  This is **NOT** a temporary fix.  It is a permanent fix, albeit a lousy workaround since I can't get LTE speeds out of the house unless I constantly toggle it on and off, which I won't do.

I never said it was the answer for *all* connectivity issues, but the original poster had exactly the same symptoms I and my neighbor had.  I suggested he/she try it, and they haven't reported back.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

9 years ago

Again, this is a temporary fix and is mentioned in the Tech Guide. AT&T does not officially endorse this. That's part of the problem with Support, they are inconsistent in the information that they relay to the customers which is another level of problems altogether. And yes, we can agree on one thing. It is a lousy workaround.

My feeling is that AT&T is messing with some towers in certain service areas increasing their LTE coverage which in turn is causing havoc with some phones.

Scholar

• 

250 Messages

9 years ago

Geez Otto you are stubborn.  It is a permanent fix for me, my wife, my neighbors, and others here who have posted.  Give me one example of a poster here who could not connect with LTE on and could connect with LTE off, but only temporarily.  You cannot.  There is nobody.  And that was the "fix" from urgent care at ATT.  It was as official as you can get.  You don't work for ATT.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.