For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
djveit's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, November 2nd, 2015 10:23 PM

3G Microcell 3G Light Blinking

I have AT&T U-Verse for tv, internet, and landline. I have a black 3G microcell from AT&T for our cells. This morning I had to disconnect all of my equipment (U-Verse modem/router, U-Verse wireless gateway for wireless television receivers, and Microcell) to move in a new desk. All cables were properly disconnected and well out of the way while the desk was moved (no chance of pinched cables). I reconnected everything exactly as it was previously connected, same ethernet cables with same devices, same surge protector, etc. The microcell was working properly before power was disconnected, but since reconnection, the top green 3g light has not stopped blinking, all other lights are solid. My tv, internet, and landline are all working correctly so I do not think this has anything to do with my U-Verse service.

I have disconnected power to everything, reconnected modem/router first, connected wireless U-verse wireless gateway second, and lastly reconnected the microcell. Sadly I've had no results, and still have a green flashing 3g light on the. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

I'm seeing the exact same indication on my Microcell (1st generation). As someone who has a large LAN at home and retired from BellSouth/AT&T with a lot of technical expertise, I have a feeling that AT&T may have started to  PERMANENTLY TURN OFF MICROCELL SERVICE now that WIFI CALLING has been made available. When all the Microcells go down, that should answer the question. I was told by someone at AT&T that Microcells were being phased out because of the interduction of wifi calling service.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

I did not realize they had finally started wi-fi calling. I just activated it and I can now make calls from the twilight zone we live in. We are an iPhone house so I suppose AT&T just made this issue null an void for me. I did do a reset while turning the power on, and still have a blinking 3g light. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones who was phased out already! Thanks for the help.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

9 years ago

@TFD/BARTLETT wrote:

I'm seeing the exact same indication on my Microcell (1st generation). As someone who has a large LAN at home and retired from BellSouth/AT&T with a lot of technical expertise, I have a feeling that AT&T may have started to  PERMANENTLY TURN OFF MICROCELL SERVICE now that WIFI CALLING has been made available. When all the Microcells go down, that should answer the question. I was told by someone at AT&T that Microcells were being phased out because of the interduction of wifi calling service.

That is not true at all. Not even close. WiFi calling is only available on the AT&T network for iPhone 6 and above. There are issues with the Android OS that has delayed the rollout for those phones so the MicroCell is still needed for non-iPhone users and homes with mixed environments. The MicroCell will eventually be phased out but not for a very long time.

If you want to explain your issues maybe we can help you.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

9 years ago

@djveit

As I just mentioned, the MicroCell is not being phased out for the reasons I gave.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Apparently AT&T was performing some demand maintenance on the Microcell network in the Memphis, TN area. It was down for about 2 and 1/2 hours. Came back up just before midnight CST. My Uverse broadband was not affected.

I would encourage everyone to turn on "Wifi Calling" if their phone supports it. It works and sounds great! Be glad you're an AT&T customer. Verizon CDMA technology currently can't support it!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

@OttoPylot

I agree with Otto that they wouldn't just phase out the service without any notice and anytime soon, I just went to turn on Wi-Fi calling on my wife's iPhone and while waiting for the verification process I notice a nice little AT&T M-Cell at the top of the phone. At some point in the last 4 hours since I did the correct reset, it started working again! Otto, part of me felt like this was a problem on AT&T's end, do you see that much? If that was not the case then our solution was either the hard reset + time = phone calls, or AT&T just wanted to suck a little more life out of me, and once I gave up then their microcell fairy granted me service again!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

I'm sorry, but AT&T says Microcell service is being phased out and that the hardware (Microcell) won't be made available in the future. Actual network shutdown hasn't been announced at this time.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

If you keep late hours as I do (AT&T retired!) you'll notice that after midnight (during the maintenance window) the 3G LED will be blinking. This occurs fairly often, but not every night during those wee hours when most people are asleep. My Uverse broadband is never affected.
AT&T does a very good job of maintaining the Microcell network!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

9 years ago

@TFD/BARTLETT wrote:
I'm sorry, but AT&T says Microcell service is being phased out and that the hardware (Microcell) won't be made available in the future. Actual network shutdown hasn't been announced at this time.

Source? Sure, all services sooner of later get phased out for various reasons but there is nothing official that I am aware from AT&T that it will be phased out anytime soon. The DPH-154 was just released a year ago (the 3G name was dropped from the MicroCell, and the external antenna port/computer port was done away with). Even Verizon is still offering their femtocell. Unless you see an official press release or statement from AT&T I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just because you are having issues and Wifi calling was just rolled out. If Customer Support is your source then they are one of the most unreliable sources of factual information within the AT&T Mobility group.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

9 years ago

@djveit

The hard reset, if done properly, can take care of some issues. Yes, if AT&T was having issues on their end (the MicroCell and AT&T certainly are not perfect) then forcing the MicroCell back to factory defaults and the performing the entire Initial Activation process can fix it. For details on what takes place during the Initial Activation see my Tech Guide.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.