For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
formerlyknownas's profile
ACE - Sage

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

Friday, October 4th, 2019 1:41 PM

Well finally. Pixel 4 to be sold by AT&T

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2019/10/att-google-pixel-4.html

My only concern is it will be burdened by carrier lock and treated like any other android, ruining a good thing.   I hope is that this phone will be treated like iPhones have been in the past, and the way the pixel is treated on Verizon. Updates come directly through the carrier and the phone is largely un fiddled with.  

@GLIMMERMAN76 

@pgrey 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Former AT&T,  Current Verizon customer.  My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove. 

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

5 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 He's postpaid. And it's [VZW WiFi Calling on our Google Store Pixel 2s] a problem anyway.

Or, rather, it was a problem. We have been using Google Fi, from the eSIMs, almost exclusively for about 40 days now. We will be terminating the VZW lines of service Any Day Now. I've been dragging my feet because, out and about, VZW service, via wireless, is marginally better. And Google Fi has its own issues like even less device freedom of choice and my rather dim view of long term prospects for the network. But, at home, where we spend most of our time, VZW service, via WiFi Calling since we have very weak to no cell coverage from any carrier, is borderline useless, and paying for two cell phone plans at the same time is beyond stupid. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

@Lilybell2  @GLIMMERMAN76   
@out_by_50  And I communicated on Verizon forum.  They have two pixel 2 from google, used on Verizon.  Wifi calling worked intermittently for them.    That’s not normal function and they should have warranteed the phones.  Had it not worked at all, I would have agreed Verizon was blocking it or the phones weren’t compatible.  But it worked for a while.  Then didn’t.  Then did, and then not.  That’s not normal.  
As for warrantee service, I’ve had great response from google.  I was surprised they even did a warranty replacement on the pixel 1 I sold to a guy in N.C.    I am surprised they ignored a complaint. 

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40

I am surprised they ignored a complaint.

I was too. The guy was even kind of obnoxious about it. I, too, have had good service from them before. For a Pixel OG with the broken audio codec--after we got past the "factory reset might fix it", long after this was "a known problem", nonsense--and for a Pixel C with its half screen display problem. If I had the slightest hint that this was really a device-specific hardware defect in two devices, I'd play Support Dude Lotto and try again.

My "most probable" guess as to root cause is that they do some UDP QoS testing and find higher latency, and/or jitter on latency than what they set as an arbitrary maximum for call quality reasons. Further, my guess is that these UDP QoS characteristics come from our location many hops and many thousands of miles (we live in Hawaii) from whatever servers VZW uses for WiFi Calling. I'd love to talk to somebody who knows the code in the WiFi Calling stack well enough to know what is going on. But, even at Level 2 Support, you are talking to people many protective layers and firewalls away from the engineers who really understands what goes on.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40 @GLIMMERMAN76 

Well I just got the pixel 4 in the mail today.  Calling over WiFi works but texting over WiFi isn't supported.  I tried to activate through the messaging app and it said feature currently unavailable under chat features. This is the same as the pixel 2 for texting, but at least it does have call over WiFi.  Looks like I will be either going back to my pixel 2 or getting an iPhone.  Maybe a future update will fix this but as of today I have the latest software.

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

5 years ago

@Pixeluser101  Sad to get confirmation, again, that the carriers Just Do No Care about giving Google Pixel buyers the experience they wanted, expected, or deserved when they bought their phones. There's a whole lot of anti-competitive, anti-consumer, hanky panky going on with carriers and phones, and maybe even Apple, and the government is unwilling (uninterested) to do ANYTHING about it.

Curious: was your Pixel 4 an AT&T or Google Store phone?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

@Pixeluser101 wrote:

Well I just got the pixel 4 in the mail today.  Calling over WiFi works but texting over WiFi isn't supported.  I tried to activate through the messaging app and it said feature currently unavailable under chat features. This is the same as the pixel 2 for texting, but at least it does have call over WiFi.  Looks like I will be either going back to my pixel 2 or getting an iPhone.  Maybe a future update will fix this but as of today I have the latest software.

Huh?  You should not need to activate texting over Wi-Fi.  If WiFi calling is set up text is automatic.  ?   
I have used each generation of pixel device, granted I do not have the pixel 4, but there was no such setting in text.  
Are you referring to “chat features”?  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@Pixeluser101 wrote:

Huh?  You should not need to activate texting over Wi-Fi.  If WiFi calling is set up text is automatic.  ?   
I have used each generation of pixel device, granted I do not have the pixel 4, but there was no such setting in text.  
Are you referring to “chat features”?  

he is talking about RCS aka chat in google.  That does not work on any carrier in the US right now not even the mighty Verizon which you know.

@Pixeluser101 

If you search on the net you can enable RCS now and use googles servers.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76   @Pixeluser101   There is a back door to RCS which I found on reddit.  I’ll dig it up

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

5 years ago

This is disappointing: https://www.zdnet.com/article/undoing-my-1000-mistake-why-im-returning-the-pixel-4xl-to-google/

According to that article, HD Voice & Wi-Fi calling are only available to Pixel 4s sold by AT&T. BYOD from Google and you're Sadly Out of Luck (SOL).

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@dmapr wrote:

This is disappointing: https://www.zdnet.com/article/undoing-my-1000-mistake-why-im-returning-the-pixel-4xl-to-google/

According to that article, HD Voice & Wi-Fi calling are only available to Pixel 4s sold by AT&T. BYOD from Google and you're Sadly Out of Luck (SOL).

That is not what another poster has said in this thread..  They have a unlocked one and it works fine.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.