Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
know1's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Friday, July 23rd, 2010 1:46 PM

Captivate - GPS Issues

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

Hi everyone! I know everyone has the same prblem with captivate gps lock. here some fixed that i experienced and GPS locked in 15 seconds. fowllow these step carefully .

1/ From dailer enter *#1472365# or *#*#1472365#*#* that will take you to GPS setting

2/ Tap delete GPS data then tap on APPLICATION SETTINGS, under ACCURACY enter 110   (magic number) tap back key to get back to desktop(main ) Screen.

3/ Go to market place download GPS STATUS. After download and installed. here is important thing to before is work, have to do it to make it work.

4/ Open GPS Status you have downloaded stay outside until you see atleast 4 or 5 sattellite lock

(green bar) the more GREEN BAR you get the better Lock you have so be patient.

5/ Exit GPS STATUS, and open Google map boom you are locked in position as fast as 15 second.

NOTE: No need to restart the phone, but if you did restart the phone or everytime you turn on the phone you need reopen GPS STATUS angain to make it work or be patient for first navigation start..

Goodluck all who have had the problem..

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

I'm having gps issues as well. After a few minutes, it can generally get accurate enough so that I can get around. Kind of. Comparing lock times with my friend's Garmin unit or my old iPhone is pretty startling. It still loses accuracy fairly often though. Thank goodness we have the technology to triangulate location from cell site data.

I'm giving Samsung and AT&T a few more weeks to get this fixed. If it's not fixed by the 25th, this bad boy will have to go back. Sad, really since I really like the phone.

I'm partially convinced that this is a hardware issue rather than a software issue. The Epic and Fascinate don't seem to have nearly as many problems. If that was a software fix, then we should have it by now. More likely, it's a hardware fix which means Vibrant and Captivate are stuck forever. You really think Samsung and AT&T will have a recall over this?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

I have similar issues with the GPS.  When it does provide a rare fix, it is usually off by a half a mile horizontally and 100 feet or more vertically when compared to my car's GPS when parked.  I bought the Captivate to use the GPS while on foot.  Maybe it will actually work someday.

Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

14 years ago

Reat this: While it doesn't provide a fix, it may provide a wake-up call to Samsung.

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

14 years ago

90% of all galaxys sold in the us have GPS issues, it is pointless to post that your phone has an issue because samsung has already acknowledged that it has an issue they are addressing. They have stated that we can expect a update in september SOMETIME. Infact they said they were working on a fix in the beginning of august that they were hoping to release in SEPTEMBER. If they said it was going to be fixed september 1 and it wasnt people would be on here screaming how samsung did them wrong. Lets wait until october before we complain anymore. 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

14 years ago

Do you work for ATT or Samsung? You seem to expend a tremendous amount of time and energy defending them.  You also seem to be committed to discrediting anyone who has a GPS problem. You mention that you frequent 3 other forums. Are you working damage control duty for Samsung / ATT ? Shall I conclude that the more times I see you post, the more desperate Samsung / ATT is becoming about bad publicity?

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

14 years ago

What? Yes I am a top secret agent deployed on behalf of both companies. Give me a break, the only reason I even post on this forum is to shed some light on things that I have so EASILY found out. I have not discredited anyones claims about GPS issues what so ever. It is just unbelievable that there is another post everyday added to the 50 that are already there. I must crazy to assume that people would see all these posts and not recognize that there might be an issue on the captivate in general. My captivate GPS does not work either, but I am not on here threatening to return my phone or launch a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. You can ASSUME anything you want about my attempts to cover up a GPS issue on a phone all you want, but the truth is I just think that this phone blows just about any other phone on the market right now out of the water, outside of the said issue. There are a thousand other people on every other forum crying about stuff on their DroidX, Evo, Incredible, in fact their are people crying about phones that are not even OUT yet.

If you are that dis-satisfied call AT&T and ask about your options for a replacement or possibly an upgrade to the Iphone or another phone of your choice. Its going to accomplish alot more than sobbing. The three other forums I FREQUENT are ANDROID forums that are not partial to any manufacturer or provider, I am a member of them because I have a great love of LINUX technology and anything else (Android) open source. I will gladly plug any company that I believe to be doing their best. So far Samsung has been very upfront with their issue and AT&T assured me that I would not be left holding the bag in the event that a fix is not issued in a timely manner. What can I say, I guess for me, Patience is Virtue.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

14 years ago

@tylerdurdin wrote:
Half the pepole that have had major problems with there phones, after speaking with them, the truth surfaces that they tried rooting it and messed it up so they call up att and make up some BS story how they ere in the middle of downloading an app and the battery died and now the phone wont start, its all crap.
LOL you have to be joking, right?

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

14 years ago

I don't see how he has to be defending any parties at all. Waiting it out is pretty much the only logical conclusion to anyone who wants to keep their phone. If you want to be hasty, exchange the phone.

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

14 years ago

I wish I were joking, its pathetic. Their posts may as well read, I broke my phone, how do I blame AT&T or samsung so I get a new one. Be careful about what you read. There is a ton of mis-information out there, about almost every phone. The top 3 things that are done with almost every android phone now is, 1) unlock it (2) Root it so they can uninstall bloatware (3) flash a new ROM, all of which can damage your phone and/or void your warranty. I am not saying that you shouldnt, but after trying to help people fix their mistakes while flashing and rooting, you start to see that most of the problems you read about with android devices are caused by the people that own them. The GPS issue IS NOT user caused, just thought I'd make that clear before anyone thinks I am insinuating it is. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.