For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
macmanjim's profile

• 

36 Messages

Friday, September 9th, 2022 9:24 PM

at&t Compatibility Mismatch

From the 2 attached images, can someone please inform me why i cannot apply this "Compatible" phone to my account  Yes, the phone is unlocked....

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

2 years ago

I didn't forget iphones, I dismissed iPhones entirely.

More than 53% of Americans with a smartphone have an iPhone. IPhones dominate the American Market.

For the less than 50% of the market that's left over, like scraps thrown to hungry dogs.   Samsung take about 27- 30%.  Lenova does a decent 8-10%.  

Apple has entirely too much power in the USA.  That power means they are essentially Universal devices. You can purchase an iPhone X or newer anywhere in the world, and it will work on AT&T.  

But iPhone is one operating system.  With the exception of hardware and a few bells and whistles, the software on an iPhone x and an iPhone 13 is the same.   

Can't say that about Android phones, even in the same series.   Samsung produces at least a dozen phones every year from J class, A class, M class, S class and the software and hardware is different.  

Android is thrives on its variety, it's uniqueness.  It's usually something women appreciate it's why we have 300 shoes in our closet. So it always rather surprises me when a woman has an iPhone instead of choosing a unique Android phone.

Personally, I'm down to 6 phones.  I'm only counting the palm as one. Even though I have one Standalone and two companion devices.  

I need a 12 step program 😂

• 

36 Messages

2 years ago

oh.... can't wait for e-SIMS... that should make all iPhones with a SIM card Obsolete in 2/3 years... Planned Obsolescence with Apple in cahoots and an ANOTHER profit taking the opportunity for at&t... à la 3G LOL

(edited)

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

2 years ago

Apple has a good track record for keeping their phones up to date. My iPhone 6 released in 2014 is HD Voice VoLTE compatible. Security updates were just released. My iPhone Xs released in 2018 is a world phone with eSIM capability. Apple was the first to eliminate the headphone jack and power adapter followed by Samsung 

Contributor

• 

68 Messages

2 years ago

@Fl_retire and don't forget the SD Card elimination,which was about the worst idea that's come across any device.Headphone jacks were still useful to a degree,but it's a bluetooth world for audio connections more than ever now.The eSIM's are an accident just waiting to happen,with no solutions of repairing them when they go bad except swapping the main board.Let's save a few pennies for these little extra features so we can sell them a new device for something stupid to begin with when it goes bad..🤣

Contributor

• 

68 Messages

2 years ago

@formerlyknownas you know well it's older people,women,Indians,and Latinos that want Iphones more than ever.How many cell repair shops have you seen,and who owns them?(Indians)Samsung just slings that junk out there because they're so stock piled with trade ins,and they recycle most of those parts for that reason.Don't let them fool you one minute that some of that hardware is brand new because it's not.Iphones were simple with the OS,that's what them more popular when the 2g models hit.It was still a Windows Mobile world,and most at the time couldn't comprehend how to use it.

(edited)

• 

36 Messages

2 years ago

@surgex My Moto G 5G you cant make your SD part of internal memory any longer... Horrible decision by Motorola 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

2 years ago

@surgexyou know well it's olderpeople,women,Indians,and Latinos that want Iphones more than ever.

I'm 2 out of those 4...

Female, and retired

I do like iPad, mostly because Apple supports iPads for 5 or 6 years, the device Works efficiently and stays up to date without a problem. Android tablets are good for 2 years and they're slow as a snail.

But I have on three occasions tried an iPhone and can't stand them. I like to be able to customize my screen so that I can have frequently used applications front and center without the Clutter.    I hate clutter.

My mother is the only one in a family with an iPhone which we started her on many years ago thinking it was simple. IPhones are not that simple and not that user friendly. Every time she comes up with a problem on her iPhone it occurs to me that this is a problem that is resolved and simple on Android phones.   Not on ios.

• 

36 Messages

2 years ago

just cut ties with Apple down to my email LOL

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

2 years ago

@macmanjimcan't wait for e-SIMS... that should make all iPhones with a SIM card Obsolete in 2/3 years... Planned Obsolescence with Apple in cahoots and an ANOTHER profit taking the opportunity for at&t... à la 3G LOL

The concept of switching service electronically rather than with a physical chip made of cardboard in metal is not new. Verizon basic cdma phones has no sim cards.  Switching between an old phone and a new phone was a simple process online, using the MEI number that was inside under the battery. 

Esim is more secure.   Stealing an iPhone is a popular occupation for thieves, especially if they're targeting Travelers who are outside of their usual comfort zone. Once the SIM card is popped out, and makes the phones very difficult to trace. Introducing the esim has made it extremely simple to track an iPhone that has an esim active. 

Physical Sim drawers are far more likely to become damaged or defective overtime than an electronic, embedded SIM. 

Both Apple and various Android manufacturers have added an esim as a secondary SIM card on their phones. I have two unlocked Samsungs and a pixel, which have E SIM available.   The sim is not what makes a phone obsolete - software updates do that. 

So far as obsolescence is concerned Apple far surpasses Android by keeping their software up to date for five or six years. Android stops updating software after two major updates, three if you have selected brands.   (And yet I can't stand iPhone, love the iPad) 

Progress isn't always a bad thing. 

But as I already commented in this thread I have a collection of Android phones. I like to switch between them and a physical SIM card makes that extremely easy.  I am aware every time I remove the sim drawer and move the SIM card that both are fragile

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.