For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
rjniles's profile

Scholar

• 

218 Messages

Thursday, April 26th, 2018 11:28 PM

MICROCELL Discontinuance Alternative

Otto P continues to remind us that the MicroCell has reached end of life and that by year end 2018 the service will go away. A cellular booster will not work for me as I get no signal even standing on the roof of my house (don't laugh, I tried it). Otto recommends that we utilize AT&T WIFI calling as a replacement. My issue with that suggestion is that you have to purchase an AT&T branded phone or an I Phone. Neither option appeals to me (I am a cheap skate and I have philosophical objections to Apple products). My wife and I use Motorola phones (she has a Moto X G2 and I have a Moto E4 Plus).

My alternative is Google Voice WIFI Calling (GV-WIFI-C). This product is now in Beta; it is a free app associated with a Google account that you can download from the Google Play store. GV assigns you a free telephone number (but likely not in your local area) that you can link to your existing ATT number. When connected to WIFI, you make an outgoing call using the app and the called person sees the caller ID showing your ATT number. Pretty straight forward and the call quality is good. Receiving incoming calls becomes more convoluted. The best option I have found is to use the ATT call forwarding option “call forward when unreachable”. I have permanently call forward when unreachable my ATT number to my GV number. When I am at home I have absolutely no over the air signal (unreachable), so the call is forwarded to my GV number that reaches me by my home WIFI. This will not work if you have some signal at your home and the local tower can “see” your phone.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

6 years ago

@Avedis53 - you are correct, no surprises. Did you ever get a chance to look over my Cellular Booster Guide? PM me.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

An ATT tech told me he expects they will pull the plug on Microcell 12/31/18.

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

6 years ago

If I remember correctly ATT had to push a carrier setting update to my IPhone 6 for me to get WIFI calling after Apple released IOS 9. 

Seems like Cricket Wireless is pulling ahead of ATT on WIFI Calling.  

https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/apps-and-services/wifi-calling/customer/wifi-calling.html

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

6 years ago

@Fl_retire

Cricket still has limited devices.

But it may show that ATT can offer HD voice and Wifi calling to prepaid, and chooses not to.  

I moved my main line to Verizon prepaid.  $60 plus tax for 20 gigs and Wifi calling.  ATT needs to wake up.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

6 years ago

@ths1960 - I've been saying that since about last November that AT&T will probably discontinue the service by the end of this year. I haven't seen anything official but I would take anything that AT&T Support has to say with a grain of salt. WiFi-C is what is recommended now.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

So I just got finished chatting with customer support and he said that if you have an active Microcell that it will NOT be deactivated. He said, "Microcell deactivation is for Microcell device that is not activate or used with in 6 months." If you already activated your Microcell and have been using it then it will not be deactivated. I have the chat transcript saved, but it appears that if you already have the Microcell that you will be fine even after the end of the year.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@skibum18 wrote:

So I just got finished chatting with customer support and he said that if you have an active Microcell that it will NOT be deactivated. He said, "Microcell deactivation is for Microcell device that is not activate or used with in 6 months." If you already activated your Microcell and have been using it then it will not be deactivated. I have the chat transcript saved, but it appears that if you already have the Microcell that you will be fine even after the end of the year.

@skibum18

sorry to say.  Don't believe a thing you get told on a online chat as ALL those reps are off shored in the Philippines. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

6 years ago

@skibum18, I agree with @GLIMMERMAN76, start planning now to look at your alternatives. AT&T may not officially pull the plug at the end of the this year but support, such that it is, will start to drop off to the point that all they will tell you to do is switch to WiFi-C. There will be little to no real help.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

6 years ago

@skibum18

If your Microcell fails, you won’t be able to replace it.  Have a back up plan.  

We have already disconnected ours.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@skibum18

If your Microcell fails, you won’t be able to replace it.  Have a back up plan.  

We have already disconnected ours.

@lizdance40

you still using a microcell?  I have one from verizon and ATT I can send you if you want I just need shipping covered.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.