Need help understanding your bill?
edrftr's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, October 12th, 2012 9:45 PM

Block Data to Smart Phone, without required data plan.

I've recently been going back and forth with AT&T asking them to block data to my iPhone. It is possible, they have done it. But the 'system' automatically detects my phone and reverts it to a data plan I do not want. Their argument that I will accrue a large bill is moot, because I want the data blocked from their side, the towers. Again, this is technically possible it has been done on my line, and I'm sick of people telling me it's not. AT&T removing the block andarbitrarily adding a data plan to my account is theft. 

I want data blocked to my phone, and I don't want to call AT&T every week to maintain. I'm not using celular data, I don't want celular data sent to/from my phone, block it from the tower. Stop lying about this capability. 

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

You can block data from the phone itself. But you will still be forced to pay for a data plan.

Mentor

• 

153 Messages

11 years ago

@harryspar wrote:
You can block data from the phone itself. But you will still be forced to pay for a data plan.

I think what s/he's really objecting to is the data plan bill...

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@satyr9 wrote:

@harryspar wrote:

I think what s/he's really objecting to is the data plan bill...

easy to get around the required data plan - use a wmd device, you want smartphone abilites, expect to pay the required price

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

Or switch to T-Mobile or Ting. But you will have to buy a phone at full price.
Or buy a Droid 3 on Ebay that's been unlocked for US GSM bands - ATT won't force a data plan on you. (Source: I have one,}

Scholar

• 

121 Messages

11 years ago

A little bit more information on Data Block on Smartphones on AT&T's network:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Billing/There-is-a-way-to-block-data-permanently-on-a-smartphone/m-p/3372409#M81857

harryspar, that's actually not a bad idea. In seriousness, the IMEI wouldn't be recognized by AT&T because it's from another company (such as T-Mobile or Ting). It would show up on AT&T's end like Unsupported device or something like that.

Then the system will probably not enforce the data plan on the device.

May I ask how long you've done that for?

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

5 months.

I've actually called ATT about it and they told me 3 different times that if the system says Unrecognised Device I could put the $15 unlimited data on it, but warned me that if I use smartphone sized servings of data they would take it away. I didn't feel right doing that, but have data off instead, saving $20 a month and staying on wifi.

Your mileage may vary. See howardforums for some other people's experiences with unlocked Nexus devices. It also seems like it has to be a device not carried by ATT.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@harryspar wrote:
5 months.

I've actually called ATT about it and they told me 3 different times that if the system says Unrecognised Device I could put the $15 unlimited data on it, but warned me that if I use smartphone sized servings of data they would take it away. I didn't feel right doing that, but have data off instead, saving $20 a month and staying on wifi.

Your mileage may vary. See howardforums for some other people's experiences with unlocked Nexus devices. It also seems like it has to be a device not carried by ATT.

remember if they ever do recognize it the plan will be altered to teh correct one automaticly and no more working the system will occur

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

Yes. That has occured, I believe, with the unlocked Nexus phones. But my Droid 3 is a much smaller target - there are very few people who have gotten them to work on ATT so it isn't worth thier time to try to get all the IMEI's.

Time will tell. But I informed them already thrice and that's as far as I will go to help them fleece me. My conscience and my wallet are very comfortable with this arrangement.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

File a complaint with the FTC.  ATT is requiring data plans when they are not necessary to use the phone.  you can get an Ipod that will have most of the features of the iphone, wifi, and computer hook ups. Then you can get a "brick phone" for only about $20 a month.  There is no technical reason for a phone to "require" a data plan to function.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Go to the FTC.gov web site and file a complaint if you want cellphones without manditory data plans.  This is just like digital TV. Now that all TV is digital can companies still require extra fees for access?  Soon all phones will be smartphones.  This is just a way for ATT to charge double for data.  More in the basic service fee and then again by having you buy a data plan.

Buy an unlocked GSM phone and put your SIM card in it and off you go.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.