For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
brendynm's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, October 27th, 2016 2:14 AM

AT&T Employees told me they can't help me fix this problem.

Bought an iPhone 5s. Had it unlocked. Used it for 1+ year with 0 issues. Sold phone on eBay. Made sure account was paid off. Even canceled account. Now, buyer cannot use phone because it is apparently "under contract" even though I have paid off the balance completely. I have spoke to 5+ AT&T employees about this, all who told me "They cannot help me with this issue because there is nothing we can do." I am FED UP with trying to fix this and I need this to be resolved now. This has cost me so much money and time that I wish I could just have never sold the phone in the first place. PLEASE help me fix this situation.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Being under contract doesn't affect the ability to use a phone. Being reported as lost or stolen will. If it's blacklisted then it can't be used.

If it was unlocked, then it's unlocked.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

It is not black listed. It has not been reported as lost or stolen. It has been unlocked. I can prove all of these things. Now what?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

Did you process the unlock with iTunes?   Backup, erase, restore?   

If not the new owner needs to install a new SIM card, and back up, erase, restore to complete unlock.

What carrier is he trying to use it with?   The ATT iPhone 5 is a GSM only phone. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Yes, I did that originally, then backed up and restored the phone to factory settings (maybe this removed the unlock?). They are trying to use the phone with either AT&T or T-Mobile and report it not working with either. They did say they are located in Mexico so I'm not sure if that would affect anything or not... I relsell phones for profit often and I have NEVER had this happen. This was my personal phone so it was a phone that I had no worries about because I (thought I) knew exactly what was going on with the phone. Also, they said that if I could get proof that my account is canceled, their local AT&T store could help them. Is this true, and if so, what information should I send them? I can't log in to AT&T since my account was deleted so I really don't know what to do. This has been extremely frustrating and stressful and I would be eternally greatful if someone could help me resolve this.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

It would help greatly if you could explain exactly why the buyer is unable to use the phone. Even if it was under contract, that would not stop them from using the phone with either ATT or another carrier, so "apparently under contract" just isn't enough information.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

@brendynm.  I'm with @sandblaster.  

"not working" is not a sufficient explanation of his problem.   Did you remove iCloud lock?  Remove from your iTunes account?  Perhaps you're dealing with a novice iPhone user?

Officially, a phone cannot be relocked, by any means once unlocked.  The unlock is processed from Apple servers, not ATT.  ATT only gives permission once phone's are eligible.

The fact you used this exact phone with Ting, means it was carrier unlocked.

FYI depending on the plan, an ATT or T-Mobile plan may have no access in Mexico.  ATT Gophone plan $60 or more is the only Gophone plan that can roam in Mexico.  Postpaid has to add the proper roaming plan.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.