U-verse Now Has 5.7 Million TV Customers - 1st Qtr 2014

Expert

U-verse Now Has 5.7 Million TV Customers - 1st Qtr 2014

From the article in the link found below:

Strong U-verse Gains Drive Broadband Growth. Total U-verse subscribers (TV and high speed Internet) reached 11.3 million in the first quarter. U-verse TV added 201,000 subscribers in the first quarter to reach 5.7 million in service. AT&T has more pay TV subscribers than any other telecommunications company. U-verse high speed Internet had a first-quarter net gain of 634,000 subscribers, to reach a total of 11.0 million. That marks seven consecutive quarters with U-verse broadband net adds of more than 600,000. Overall, total wireline broadband subscribers increased by 78,000. Total wireline broadband ARPU was up 9 percent year over year. Total U-verse high speed Internet subscribers now represent more than two-thirds of all wireline broadband subscribers, compared with 51 percent in the year-earlier quarter.

About 60 percent of U-verse broadband subscribers have a plan delivering speeds of 12 Mbps or higher. In the first quarter, 90 percent of new U-verse TV customers also signed up for U-verse high speed Internet. About two-thirds of AT&T U-verse TV subscribers take three or four services from AT&T. ARPU for U-verse triple-play customers continues to be more than $170. At the end of the quarter, U-verse TV penetration was more than 21 percent. U-verse broadband penetration was near 20 percent at the end of the first quarter. 

http://about.att.com/story/att_first_quarter_earnings_2014.html

Message 1 of 21 (1,361 Views)
Employee

Re: U-verse Now Has 5.7 Million TV Customers - 1st Qtr 2014

In essence Project VIP is a multi pronged plan to increase
1) Mobility (wireless cell service)
2) HSIA both as asdl2+ on vdsl platforms
3) IPTV on vdsl platforms
4) Digitial Life home security (?)
5) purchase additional spectrum
And more...

$14 billion over three years....
http://www.att.com/gen-mobile/press-room?pid=23506
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 16 of 21 (949 Views)
Employee

Recent news has ATT and partner committing more than $500 million to start competing service to Netflix and Hulu.

Now following possible Comcast purchase of TW with minor sale to Charter and a spin off company, AT&T in discussion of possible purchase of a satellite company if completed would be 2nd in overall subscribers after Comcast/TW

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/technology/headlines/20140501-att-interested-in-acquiring-satelli...
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 17 of 21 (864 Views)
ACE - Master

Thanks for the info, everyone.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 21 (851 Views)
Employee

I wonder if this goes thru and the customer is in a Non-AT&T area, such as PA, what they will do for internet and phone servies?  DirecTV covers all of the US, but AT&T only covers 22 states.

Employee Contributor*
Message 19 of 21 (823 Views)
ACE - Expert

I don't think you'd see any significant changes in the way the two business lines are operated in regards to service areas or much of anything else.

As contracts for content come up for renewal, I think you'd then see a change in the way these negotiations are handled (i.e. with the combined subscriber count in mind).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 21 (798 Views)
Highlighted
Employee

My thoughts is to improve internet speeds and reduce or eliminate bandwidth sharing with IPTV, install mini dishes aimed at VRAD for IPTV and maintain hardwire for HSIA, VOIP services.

As a partnership already exists between the two both selling the others products and services, a purchase would allow quality control and improved billing/accountability on shared plans.

while Uverse is only in defined 22 states (21 after Frontier purchases Conn.) The AT&T (and Verizon) vision and growth is beyond defined borders.
Present day examples outside of defined 22 states include wireless cell service, Digitial Life, new venture offering online streaming to compete against Netflix, Hulu, Automotive)

The largest private sector Union Employer AT&T growth versus largest non union retailer Walmart which is moving into financial services, banking and money transfers is a interesting study.

Consider online streaming future and DirectTV http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBREA242GU20140306?irpc=932

add ATT future streaming and the future results of Supreme Court ruling in Aereo case...
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/supreme-court-will-hear-tv-broadcasters-against-aereo/blogEntry?id=21...

The next 12 to 20 months (end of Project VIP) leads to an interesting future.
Employee Contributor*
Message 21 of 21 (763 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.