For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Cannothear's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, October 11th, 2018 12:20 AM

AT&T auto audio volume lowering

How can I stop the AT&T auto audio volume lowering on my TV? I started with a volume of 10 to 15, now I am at a volume of 25 to 30 and still have trouble hearing the TV.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@baseballisback

The volume settings is in the dvr/receivers I have (VIP2250/ISB7005) and the how you control them with the silver, s10, s20, and s30 remotes is still there since those remotes haven't changed for years (or ever?).  I do recall these key combinations and timing the presses were a little tricky to consistently work but I did just try them again, and yup, I still have problems with them but I think I found a way to be more-or-less consistent now (got to save this post!)..  Anyway here's the sequence (more or less).  Editorial note, the s20/s30 is a lot easier than the silver/s10.

Silver & s10 remotes

1. Press the AT&T + OK buttons and hold for 1 second and release).  All the mode keys flash red twice to acknowledge you are in program mode.  I had a lot of problems consistently getting this step to work.  Since both keys need to be pushed it looks like it's forgiving if you push the AT&T first keeping it down and then immediately pressing the OK but it doesn't like you doing it the other way around.  With both pushed then you can release after the one second.
  2. Key in 955 to specify its volume you want to set.  The AT&T button will flash red twice to acknowledge.
  3. Press AT&T key again.  At this point you should be in dvr/receiver volume control instead of the tv.  You will see the dvr/receiver volume level in a circle in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
  4. Press Enter button (bottom right button, says zoom underneath).  AT&T button will give a long flash to acknowledge (doesn't look that long to me).

To return back to controlling the tv volume instead of the dvr/receiver the operations are the same except step 3 where you push the TV button instead of the AT&T button.  The backlights have a long flash as the acknowledgement.

S20/S30 remotes (a lot simpler than the Silver/S10's)

1. Press and hold OK + Menu buttons for 3 secs. until Power button flashes red twice to confirm getting into program mode.  Like the silver/S10 you can get away with pressing the Menu first immediately followed by the OK.
  2. Pres Volume up button once.  The Power button will blink red once and the backlighting will remain on.
  3. Press green My Multiview button.  Power button will flash red twice as an acknowledgement you are not controlling the dvr/receiver.  You will see the dvr/receiver volume level in a circle in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

To get back to the tv volume control press the orange On Demand button in step 3 instead of the green My Multiview button.  Instead of the Power button flashing red twice it will flash four times.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

What setting do you have on the receiver/dvr?  I recommend you always keep that set to 25, i.e., as high as it goes.  Refer to your uverse remote user guide on how to set the dvr/receiver volume.  Once that is set you should never have to set it again (unless you get a new dvr/reciever of course).  From this point on you control the volume with the tv's volume control, and if your remote is programmed correctly for your tv model, you should be able to control it from the uverse remote.

While not all stations may have the same volume for the same setting, for any one channel, the volume doesn't using vary (unless something weird is going on with that particular station).  If it is noticeably changing then maybe your tv has some kind of audio compensating setting (can't imagine what) that's lowering the volume because the dvr/receiver certainly isn't doing it.  See what your tv's user manual has to say about volume.

Some random other thoughts, experiments, and questions (in no particular order):

• Are you using a sound system or the tv's speakers?  If sound system how is the tv's audio only?
  • Play with the dvr/receiver sound options; on uverse remote press menu->options->audio/language->digital audio output and try stereo and surround sound.
  • Try a different hdmi input port on your tv.  Try component cables instead of hdmi.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I have reset the low volume via trouble shooting. It shows 25, but if I
run it again is still states low volume. I am using the TV speakers. I have
done the trouble shooting about 4 or 5 times over the past 6 months. Like I
said, I use to get by at 10 last week now it is 25 or 30 on the TV. I have
tried stand and wall settings on speakers with no change. I have changed
the settings from Dolby to surround, no difference. Why is AT&T trying to
control how I watch my TV?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Forgot, I have the TV sound set to amplify.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

6 years ago

@_xyzzy_

Is DVR volume still even a thing? I remember being able to do it on my old 1225 silver DVR. I've since switched to a black DVR and the remote doesn't have the various mode buttons...just one for power.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Not a DVR, Uverse cable box!

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

I have reset the low volume via trouble shooting. It shows 25, but if I run it again is still states low volume. I am using the TV speakers. I have
done the trouble shooting about 4 or 5 times over the past 6 months. Like I said, I use to get by at 10 last week now it is 25 or 30 on the TV.

Just to be clear here is the "25" your tv's volume level which means nothing to me since you never made it clear what your tv scale is up to max.  Or is that 25 show in the upper right with a circle around it?  That one is from the dvr/reciver (whichever the tv is attached to).

I have tried stand and wall settings on speakers with no change. I have changed the settings from Dolby to surround, no difference.

I am not  not interested it what external audio systems you tried (at the moment at least), only the tv's audio for the tv connected to its dvr/receiver.  Who knows about your external stuff?  For all I know it could some weird impedance mismatch that could screw that stuff up.  Don't need extra variables in the mix when trying to troubleshoot.

Why is AT&T trying to control how I watch my TV?

They are not trying to control anything with your audio.  I believe it's something wrong on your end.  While I can't eliminate a defective dvr/receiver did you at least look at the bullet items at the end of my post 2?

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

6 years ago

Ok... I've confirmed that the DVR is up to 25 volume.

And I just figured out that the blue "Interactive" button makes my TV's volume bar and mute notifications disappear from my TV...it was quite annoying to have those pop up.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Yes, a very big thank you for the fix . I also HAD a volume issue with my  tv using the new s-30 remote. I read many other posts

and am thankful i came across yours and my volume issue is now solve. I now have a very happy wife....thanks again and best regards,

Pete

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Wow! I tried to fix this last night for hours, unsuccessfully, of course.🙄

Found your 'fix' via Google and it worked like a charm!!!! 

Thank you!!!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.