For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
arkan5's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, August 11th, 2012 1:04 PM

Can I record a different channel than I am watching with a DVD+R?

I have a Panasonic DVD+R/VHS combo recorder. My question is - is it possible to use it to record one channel from a set top box while watching a different channel from the same set top box?

Is there any setup that would allow me to do this or is it not possible? My understanding is that only one channel at a time is coming through the CAT5 to the set top box instead of all the channels being broadcast at once like cable, which I would think would make it impossible. Although the box with the DVR must be able to receive multiple channels, but presumably is designed to output only one.

Right now I have the Uverse signal from the RG coming into my set top box with CAT5, the signal from the set top box goes to my DVD+R with coax, and then the DVD+R is connected to my television through HDMI. I can record the channel that I am watching.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@arkan5 wrote:

I have a Panasonic DVD+R/VHS combo recorder. My question is - is it possible to use it to record one channel from a set top box while watching a different channel from the same set top box? 

No, you cannot do this on the same U-verse STB.  You can record a program on a different channel to the U-verse DVR.  You can later, in realtime, transfer the recording from the U-verse DVR to your DVR recorder subject to Digital Management Rights (DRM) restrictions.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@arkan5 wrote:

Is there any setup that would allow me to do this or is it not possible? My understanding is that only one channel at a time is coming through the CAT5 to the set top box instead of all the channels being broadcast at once like cable, which I would think would make it impossible. Although the box with the DVR must be able to receive multiple channels, but presumably is designed to output only one.

Right now I have the Uverse signal from the RG coming into my set top box with CAT5, the signal from the set top box goes to my DVD+R with coax, and then the DVD+R is connected to my television through HDMI. I can record the channel that I am watching.

It's not what's coming in through the CAT5 it's what comes out of the STBs output to your TV/DVDR. The STBs will only output one viewable channel at a time.

That being said, I would change your connection between the STB and the DVDR to component (the red, green, and blue cables) for the video and optical audio as I do not believe the coax output on the STBs are HD or provide surround sound. This type of connection should also eliminate any DRM issues.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Ah, I didn't think of that workaround. Problem solved. Thanks for the definitive answer and for getting back to me so fast!

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

You're welcome!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

@Computer-Joe wrote:

It's not what's coming in through the CAT5 it's what comes out of the STBs output to your TV/DVDR. The STBs will only output one viewable channel at a time.

Good point, thanks for the explanation.

@Computer-Joe wrote:

That being said, I would change your connection between the STB and the DVDR to component (the red, green, and blue cables) for the video and optical audio as I do not believe the coax output on the STBs are HD or provide surround sound. This type of connection should also eliminate any DRM issues.

I don't have HD for now, but thanks for the info! My current DVD+R has only coax for input, so if I get HD I'll upgrade this box. Thanks for your post.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.