For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
jacobrich's profile

Explorer

• 

21 Messages

Tuesday, May 31st, 2016 3:55 PM

Data caps are here, anybody else using way more U-verse data than they thought?

The datacap is now showing up on my bill. I am 4 days into my billing cycle and have used 100 GB out of my alloted 600 GB. It looks like I will go over, way over, my limit. Anybody else in the same boat as me? I will have to switch to Charter as they have no caps or overage fees in Reno, Nevada.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

Are you sure what you are looking at is current usage and not last month's usage? I'm 1/2 way into my current cycle and have used less than 40GB and I've got 10 devices. 100GB in 4 days is certainly possible but you'd have to be streaming a lot of HD video and/or downloading a lot of files. Do you really think you've used that much in 4 days?

Explorer

• 

13 Messages

8 years ago

sandblaster,

downloading just 2 video games can bring you to 100GB

@sandblaster wrote:

Are you sure what you are looking at is current usage and not last month's usage? I'm 1/2 way into my current cycle and have used less than 40GB and I've got 10 devices. 100GB in 4 days is certainly possible but you'd have to be streaming a lot of HD video and/or downloading a lot of files. Do you really think you've used that much in 4 days?

Battlefield Hardline is 60GB

Grand Theft Auto 5 is 65GB

it's very possible. Depends what the OP is doing. but hey I'm glad they doubled the caps now. Might switch back

Mentor

• 

71 Messages

8 years ago

I'm gonna throw in with this thread. I see AT&T more as a victim here then anything else. Not too long ago I had the opportunity to spend an evening ( in a Bar in Brussels, great beer ) with the European design team for Mozilla(Firefox). As everyone knows FF is on an about 6 -> 8 week release cycle. What's going on here is kinda like you put your foot to the peddle and push hard, and harder and even harder yet. Almost every website is trying to out do everyone else with the forced scripts/java/videos and on and on. I use a couple tools here:

https://www.wireshark.org/
http://etherape.sourceforge.net/
and a local network manager

and they give me a good idea of who's doing what to me and how. You'd be amazed as to how much crap is being sent down the pipe at you and you can do nothing about it. It's not unusual to get stuffed with 20MB, 40MB or even more by just going to one web page. On top of that opening a web-page is not just one. It's many. I've seen upwards of 100 different servers presented on just one web-page. And they're all force fed to you. I've been told, and it's pretty widely known, that the bandwidth on the Internet is increasing by at least 20% per year. And that ain't all Netflix. So is 600GB enough? IMO probably not in a couple years. Now people are waving their arms about "4K" over the net. A "4K" BluRay disc can have as much as 100GB of data on it. Play a few of those over the net and your over the top.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.