For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
inbox4greg's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Saturday, August 20th, 2016 12:28 AM

low SNR, high FEC's, High CRC's... Standalone Internet, NVG599

Hello.  This probably won't be the first message of this sort you've read.

Basically, unreliable connection, SNR flips from 4 to 12 (12 is good-4 drops connection).  lots of CRC errors (as high as 5015 in a 6 hour period), FEC errors as high as 10 million in the same 6 hour period).... Browsing is slow.

Now mind you, the profile for this account is setup on the 3MB connection. We are a ways away from the local crossbox "dslam"...

A lineman has already been here once, and did see one issue at the pole.  I did reboot the modem yesterday to "re-sync" the modem, and SNR went back up to 12.4 which is the best ever.  There were very few FEC's and no CRC's over a 12 hour period.

Browsing was snappy, and speeds up to 3.4mbps... GREAT!  I thought someone had actually made some correction somewhere.

Next day, comes all the errors I spoke aboive in paragraph 2.

I am not sure of the actual distance we are from the local dslam, but I know its pushing it.  Strange thing is, there is no consistency.  One day, service is great (12.4SNR, no errors), next day its so low its went into SNR 4.0, then the connection gets slow and drops.

So, it service is great one day, how can it be so awful the next day? 

Extememly frustrating.  I am still in my 30 days of new service, and it this can't get resolved, it will surely result in a cancellation.

Is there anyway you can attach this note to my ACTUAL account, where a tech can access it.  The last tech support I called on 8/19 wasn't even familiar with what terms like SNR, FEC, and CRC were.  All he wanted to do is reboot the modem, and said he updated the modem 'software', which he didn't because I had it printed out before I called, and it was the same version after he "supposedly" updated it.

If this requires another lineman out to diagnose the issue, I welcome it......If the issue is distance related, service should have never been offered.

thank youlowsnr.jpgcrc_high.jpg

2 Attachments

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

8 years ago

Another service call....

Sounds as if when bad only operating on half a pair, this could be inside from the pole (drop, NID, inside wiring, jack, data cable related) or outside plant. At 3M your probably 1.5 to 2 miles of wiring from DSLAM.

Is the outside aerial from a pole or buried?

Weather related? Rain, storms (lightening) or wind? High temperature?

Time of day related? Items on auto timers, dimmer switches, etc.

Some reading....

http://adslm.dohrenburg.net/troubleshoot/interference.php

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

I think I am about 1.6 miles from the DSLAM.  They quoted it in feet but I forgot what the actual # was.

the outside line is AERIAL, running from the pole to the house.   The line from the pole to the house is new, NID is new, and cat 5 homerun to the gateway is new.

Nope don't think its weather related.  However, the SNR always seems to drop in the evening hours... In the day, it can be operating perfectly at lets say 12 SNR with very low fec's.

then, as it progresses in the nighttime hours, it drops (as low as 4.5), currently 6.

Like I said, other day it was at 12.4, working perfect all day (even in the evening hours).

But in the evening hours typically, SNR drops wayyyy down, sometimes to an unstable connection.

Already one line man been out, did something inside the black box on the line next to the pole.  Said he found a potential issue, didn't elaborate.

This issue could be anywhere.  Last year we tried to get service, and was only 1.5MB attainable, and we had the same issues with lots of CRC's and FEC's.

Could it just be the monster it is, and we're going to have to deal with this if we want internet from AT&T the distance we are from the DSLAM?

I typically have no issues browsing, streaming a you tube video, or even neftlix during the day, but at night, when the SNR starts going down, might as well give that up.

I don't want tech to keep having to come out here, but I think they need to try to isolate the issue.  If they say "its never gonna be right", then I'll accept it and cancel it.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

Hey @inbox4greg,

We have received your private message and look forward to working with you to get this sorted.

ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

when I came home at 3pm, there were about 500 CRC errors, and I dunno how many millions of FEC's, and signal at 5.4 SNR.

Rebooted the RG to try to re-sync.    But in 45 minutes since reboot, you can see what's accumulated.

Browsing very slow.  We'll see Tuesday.  Hate to keep having tech and line men come out, but got to be something causing this.  I'm a paying customer, so I expect AT&T to narrow it down.

atterr.jpg

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

Stats just keep getting worse.  How am I still even connected?drop.jpg

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

Just called Tech Support again with these issues, and all I get is "reboot the modem"......

Finally, got transferred to TIER 2 tech support that tells me that 1.5mbps out of the normal 3.6 I get is acceptable, and that THESE STATS are totally acceptable.  WRONG!

I have talked to the service tech AND the line man, and these state ARE UNACCEPTABLE.

I know the limits.

So, this still remains a LINE ISSUE from the crossbox (DSLAM), to the pole. That's over 9,000 feet away.  Shall I just give up and cancel this service?

I CAN NOT believe Tier 2 Tech support tells me that these stats are acceptable.

crc_err_082616.jpg

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

8 years ago

If you've talked to a "service tech" and a "line man" and they say these stats are unacceptable... then why didn't they fix the problem?

Technically, by AT&T's rules of thumb, if you're getting more service than you would be entitled to at the next lower tier (i.e. if you're getting more than 1.5 at the 3.0 tier), then that is "acceptable" in their book.  Please note the "up to" in any ISP's quotes of bandwidth.

A DSLAM is not a crossbox.  A DSLAM may be located near a crossbox, but I seriously doubt that's the case with your attenuation.  What's your distance to the crossbox?  To your CO?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

I'm not AT&T, i'm only the customer paying the bill expecting descent service......I do now know WHY they haven't fixed the problem, JefferMC......

perhaps they do not know the root of the issue.  quite honestly, if 9000 feet from the dslam is approaching service limits, it should have never been offered.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@inbox4greg    Did ATT Uverse Care do anything for you?  Your stats are miserable, low S/N, very high attenuation, excessive FEC (forward error corrected) errors, CRC are just pure errors, in that time period.

Actually good condition ADSL 2+ can go as far as 12-13000' from the DSLAM w/768K service.  Hope they can get you fixed and woking properly. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

Hi Chris.  On a GOOD DAY, I have seen SNR at high as 12.3 with VERY little fec's, and NO crc's.... and a full 3.6mbps on my Pro (3.0) connection.

Issue is when when a rain shower comes along, and the high humidity exist after that, that moisture is getting in my "pair" somewhere.  NOW....where that exist in 9000 feet, that's going to be VERY hard to pinpoint.

I'm not an AT&T an tech, but there has to be some place to start troubleshooting WHERE the issues on the line exist.

AT&T Tech told me fiber is being fed to the DSLAM from the c/o to my circuit or pair???

Can't a tech do a "line test" starting at the DSLAM, then going to certain points down the 9000 feet leading to my house and find out wher the signal is degrading the most?

What I mean is, there are about 20 of these black rectangular boxes down the highway, couldn't a tech test at these connection points?

in other words, the "pair" that's leading from the DSLAM to my pole's rectangular box...Is that pair split anywhere or is that one continuous wire?

I have a general overview of how all this works, but like I said, wouldn't it be much simpler to try to put me on another "pair" at the DSLAM, then reconnect it at my rectangular box at my street.  This pair i'm on seems problematic....

I'm at a loss, only a tech would know how to isloate and correct this.

I have posted a few pics.  I know where all the equipment is.

att1.jpgatt2.jpgatt3.jpg

3 Attachments

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.