For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
klepp0906's profile

Mentor

• 

73 Messages

Monday, January 18th, 2016 7:40 PM

Losing my mind (very expensive smart tv + uverse internet) bandwidth almost non existent

Let me be clear, I'm not a nub. I'm extremely experienced with PC hardware and software and electronics in general. For the sake of time I won't get into all the tests I've done to reach this point.

I assumed it was due to wifi so I hardwired and the problem persists. I've removed my switch as well and am running straight from the gateway/modem. (Nvg589)

My iPhone is getting 2x the speed on wifi (25mbps) across the house than my tv (Sony Bravia x950b) is getting hardwired! I hit 10mbps on my 45mbps line!! I hit 50mbps on my PC just fine (hardwired)

I stream a lot of stuff and it's causing quality issues/disconnection issues, and it won't even let me stream psnow with 45mbps broadband.

My tv has psnow integrated and it won't even let me use it!! Says my connection is too slow lol. (When hardwired....)

Former Employee

• 

422 Messages

8 years ago

@klepp0906

If your hardwired PC is getting good connection speeds, and your Wifi devices are as well and the only device not getting good speeds is your TV... then i have to say that the issue is your TV.

Either the TV itself or the CAT5 from the modem to the TV would be your culprit.

Associated Member

• 

248 Messages

8 years ago

With your other devices working as they should, the issue would be either with your TV, or with the ethernet cable that you used to connect the TV to the RG.

Mentor

• 

73 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys. My hardwired devices definitely are. My wifi is less than it should be depending on distance from the gateway. I spoke to tech support a few weeks back because i wanted to get the new AC gateway. I told them I was getting very poor performance streaming plex remotely via wifi on my tv (often hitching/pausing even when set at SD/1.5mbps. She said it looks like I may have a bit of a problem on my line based on the tests she ran from where she was (didn't elaborate and networking isn't my strongest area) but said she would send someone out. (Still a few weeks away). Also said she can't promise I'll get the new gateway which stinks - your customers should be provided with the newest hardware especially when it adds new major features like a wifi standard but that's another topic altogether.

Anyhow, based on the weak wifi as well - does your assumption it's the tv still stand? Or is there a way it could be the gateway or a setting? For example something to do with ports? I mean - how could a tv be partially working in the broadband area assuming you mean from a hardware standpoint? If you mean from a configuration standpoint - any ideas/areas/pointers? It's a stupid expensive tv and I love it to death - just don't love the abysmal streaming performance/web speed I'm getting. It's low for wifi considering its 40mhz/N and wired is giving me roughly the same speeds as the wifi.

I'll die if I have to call Sony, there always foreign and you can bet your Rear they will say it's the ISP anyways and round and round I go. Imagine if they did decide to send a new tv, I lose all my calibration, and then it turns out to not be the case (which I don't think it is).

Anybody with a really strong familiarity with the nvg589 and smart tvs able to go a bit more in depth?
Thank you again - so frustrating I just want to use it not spend time researching and fixing it. Shoulda noticed it long ago but didn't do much streaming until recently.

Mentor

• 

73 Messages

8 years ago

As I mentioned (I think?) this is the exact line from my PC which tests at full speed. I removed from PC and moved to tv and apeeds are now roughly 20-30% what they should be.

Are you saying either my tv has a half broken nic? O.o? Could a different DNS really affect speeds that dramatically? (It's currently set primary 192.168.1.254 and secondary 0.0.0.0. Any suggestions dns wise?

I'm not too strong at networking and I noticed the gateway has a NAT/Gaming section would this be relevant in any way?

TV also has wifi still enabled which is leading me to believe it's still using wireless even when hardwired perhaps? Would having IPv6 enabled cause this?

I've toggled both the aforementioned off and results didn't change but perhaps it needed to be in collusion with something else? I'm at a loss.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@klepp0906   The Uverse RG (not a router or modem) is designed for triple play service, UVoice, IPTV and Internet (not necessarily wi-fi though).

Many users get much better wi-fi from a 3rd party router behind the RG.  Get more than 3-4 connections to the RG and things can slow down.

Might try using Google DNS in the devices. Many devices find they can connect better using Google DNS. It bypasses Uverse RG DNS.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Step by step instructions.

http://forums.att.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-Access/How-to-Minimize-Wireless-Interference/m-p/2303003#M1138

Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Associated Member

• 

248 Messages

8 years ago

NVG 589s, yeah, lots of experience, smart TVs, sadly not quite as much, possibly a port forwarding issue? Hopefully its something as simple as a bad ethernet cable, but you never know, if you've just bought the TV might just be DOA, 10mbps is oddly specific, since it could mean its running at 10BASE-T instead of 100BASE-T

Mentor

• 

73 Messages

8 years ago

It is extremely odd. It isn't really 10 on the nose. It depends where I test it at (options are limited in a smart tv with no flash support)

I get anywhere from 9 to 16. So up to. 30% of what I should be getting.

What is even more odd is the specific app on the tv I use to test bandwidth shows 15-16kbps whether I'm on wifi or Ethernet. That first led me to believe the app simply couldn't register anything higher. However I use Plex Media Server, Netflix/Hulu, and PlayStationNow for streaming. Netflix and Hulu I never had an issue with. Plex I had horrible buffering over wifi which oddly enough was resolved when I plugged in the cat5. The major issue which led me here was PSNow. I had a "sorry your connection isn't good enough" whether I was on wifi or lan.

After testing my line by moving it to a laptop (tested at 50mbps) and back to my tv via the app (~15mbps again) coupled with the aforementioned I began to wonder if the tv was resorting to wifi even with a hardwire being in. I even considered sonys PlayStation network having some sort of conflict with my gateways config. (Highly unlikely or it would be a known issue).

This is around the time I came here and posted. After reading your replies and simultaneously killing my battery doing research of my own, I did the following. I disabled IPv6 support on the tv. I disabled wifi and wifi direct on the tv. I changed the DNS on the tv to googles.

After this (it's very early yet so I'm going to call this preliminary) psnow is running exceptionally better. This could be due to the fact it's Monday evening and load on att as well as Sony has lessened but unlikely. The items I mentioned had all been done previously as well, however individually. I would assume one of those items could have finally resolved it except for one glaring problem. When I test my speed on the tv it is STILL reading as 15kbps!

Weird right? What do you guys think? I know the tv supports N, but if it supported an older standard via wifi my speeds could be capped. No such thing exists from a hard line right? Someone did mention 10 full/half duplex but that's waaaay old school right? This is a 2014 flagship from Sony that cost me nearly 10 grand. I have been through it back and forth and certainly no option to change that anywhere. Limited to IP/DNS/subnet etc.

Hopefully this info helped a bit. I'll let ya know if the problem has resolved itself performance wise tomorrow still. To be clear Sony recommends 5mbps for psnow so being told to kick rocks when I was getting 10-15 is indicative of an issue for sure. Even though that problem seems to be gone, if I'm still truly only getting 10-15 of my 45-50, I'd like to find out why.

Do logs exist I can use to find out what's going on potentially? Debug menu in gateway perhaps? Could the nvg589 somehow be giving the tv a fraction of the bandwidth similar to a hub for some reason? I know Sony certainly will be no help. You know the types they hire for support. Anyone using a Bravia with uverse?

Sorry for the book! I'll leave it at this for tonight! If it turns out psnow etc works - it will be a relief and success, however like any analytical scholar of sorts... Not knowing the cause, nor the reason why I'm still getting bad bandwidth will haunt me and my ocd for god knows how long!

Oh and to Cd(prior poster) I have had the tv for quite some time and no issues elsewhere. Came straight from Sony. Besides, what scenario could you suggest that Internet "half" works? As for the port forwarding, I am familiar with it in theory, but rarely in practice. Any info on how I can confirm the right ports are open on the gateway for my tv/streams?

Oh! And thank you all so much for the replies and baring with me thus far!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.