For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
Celeste_86's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, January 15th, 2015 5:19 PM

DSL internet reach - parent/slave system compatiblity

Somewhat related to the question asked yesterday, 1/14/15........

What are the recommended modems/slave systems compatible with AT&T that gives the farthest reach?

The AT&T purchased modem we currently have doesn't split off the way we need it to (the modem/"box" is pretty far away from the houses connected to the wi-fi.

There are about 10 houses with routers that are connected to the wi-fi, I think the wire is split 6 ways? Not familiar with any of this, but am needing to research for my manager.

Can anyone tell me what modems AT&T communicates with/compatibility? CAT type (5,6 needed?) Range?

We are still going to use AT&T as our internet provider, just need to know anything compatible, any options, and if there is a preferred recommendation on a parent/slave system?

If any of that makes sense??

Thanks for any help!

Celeste

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @Celeste_86,

When it comes to extending your AT&T internet connection, I think the best thing to do is use a router. Make sure it is a router and not a modem, although most modems do have routing functionality where you can disable the modem feature. 

With the router you purchase, almost all routers are compatible. I actually have not ran into one that doesn't work. There are a lot of options to consider when getting a router, but I would think that a basic wireless router should do the job, but depending on how far you need the signal to transmit, there are more powerful routers out there.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks a lot for the information David.

Researching the compatible routers now.

Take Care,

Celeste

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.