For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
Alrightwho's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, November 9th, 2014 10:19 PM

3801HGV Connection problems

Hi all, this past few months the wifi has just been awful. My connection drops very frequently, up to more than 5-7 times a day for at least 15 seconds to 1 minute. I have tried everything to keep the connection stable, from changing the channel, resetting the router, and i've already had countless service techs come by my house to check the connection just to say theres nothing wrong with it when there obviously is a problem. The only things i use for internet are my computers that both use wifi and my gaming console. I have tried using an Ethernet cable and it seems to solve the problem, but the results arent clear as my wifi drops so sporadically, i can't distinguish if the internet is just back on or it just has a clean connection. This leads on to my question, is there a way to solve this horrible wifi connection? And is there a reason for my internet to constantly be dropping? Answers and suggestions are highly appreciated. Thank you

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@Alrightwho If wireless problems, see SomeJoe's great wireless interference thread:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/How-to-Minimize-Wireless-Interference/m-p/2303003#M1138

Also see the SJ post:

Please Read for a Potential Solution

For many people, the DHCP problems with the 2Wire routers can be solved by configuring the RG as follows:

1. Go to http://192.168.1.254/ and find the RG's wireless configuration page.

2. Change the setting "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" to Disabled.

3. Change the setting "Authentication Type" to WPA2-PSK (AES).

4. Click the "Save" button at the bottom.

5. This procedure may ask for your RG's password. The default password for your RG is printed on a sticker on the side of the RG (3600HGV, 3800HGV-B, 3801HGV and NVG589/510) or on a white sticker on the backup battery (i3812V).

Disabling WPS should help with the DHCP timeout issue and general wireless connection problems.

Setting authentication specifically to WPA2-PSK/AES improves connection reliability on Macs and other Apple products.

Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.