For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Help for your devices & games
katebell9's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, January 13th, 2009 5:38 AM

Closed

Ringtones- Do you have to have the Net on your phone?

Hi, I got an email with a code for a free ringtone if I singed up for online registration.  Well I picked out a song, got a text sent to me that says the artist and the name of the song, etc.  The only choice was 'retrieve' and when I do, it tries to connect to the internet, which is not a part of the plan I have, so of course no connection can be made.  I could've sworn multiple friends of mine have no internet on their phone and can still have ringtones.  Am I doing something wrong?  Please help! Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

15 years ago

@katebell9 wrote:
Hi, I got an email with a code for a free ringtone if I singed up for online registration.  Well I picked out a song, got a text sent to me that says the artist and the name of the song, etc.  The only choice was 'retrieve' and when I do, it tries to connect to the internet, which is not a part of the plan I have, so of course no connection can be made.  I could've sworn multiple friends of mine have no internet on their phone and can still have ringtones.  Am I doing something wrong?  Please help! Thanks.

katebell9.....Yes, you need to have PAY PER USE MEdia Net enabled on your phone in order to download ringtones from ATT. You can have the account holder contact CC at 1-800-331-0500 and have PPU enabled on your line. You also have 24 hours after you received the text message to download the ringtone. The ringtone you ordered will be free but keep in mind, you will get charged for the data used in downloading it at $.01/kb. After you get your free ringtone, the account holder can then have CC block MEdia Net again by contacting them if they choose.

As for your freinds, it is possible they could have used 3rd party sites, downloaded the ringtones to their computers and transferred them from there.

Hope this helps!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

That did help- thanks very much.  Now my question is how much (approximately) does that cost?  And what does it depend on how fast it downloads?

One more question... what about those commercial for ringtones?  Does that use the internet as well?

Thanks again.

Guru

• 

983 Messages

15 years ago

Any media that would be downloaded directly to your phone would use the internet usage.  So, yes, the commercials for Ringtones would also use net usage.  The cost doesn't depend on time but amount of data that is transferred. 

Most people, to avoid having to use media net to download will, (as Dcookie mentioned), download it to their computer and then transfer it to their phone.  It prevents having to pay for the data transferred wirelessly if you do so with a USB cable or if you comp/laptop is bluetooth enabled as well as your phone. 

Message Edited by Vampredator on 01-13-2009 10:15:32 AM

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

15 years ago

For that yes. Or you can make your own and send them for free in a picture message try these:

http://funformobile.com

http://www.ventones.com

Ventones you make your own and Fun For Mobile you search, just sign up for the website its totally free. then just find a ringtone you like at FFM and click send to phone. then itll say your number and a box with a check in it that says i have internet on my phone. UNcheck the i have internet box, and then press send. then itll send it in a text message, and when you open the text message itll start playing the ringtone. hen just go to option and save on your phone. http://www.funformobile.com

is the one i just described

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.