For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
mmorgan0678's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, April 1st, 2014 4:40 PM

Will I need special equipment to watch Netflix on my TV?

I have a Toshiba TV that is several years old, I don't know if it's HD or not. For cable I have AT&T U-verse, and I use a JVC device as a DVD player and sound system. Netflix's website talks about devices that it works with, but the particular ones I have aren't mentioned. U-verse has several interactive apps, but Netflix doesn't show up on my screen. I don't want to sign up for Netflix if I won't be able to stream it to the TV. If I need additional equipment, I want to look into getting that first.

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

9 years ago

@dhascall wrote:

@mmorgan0678 wrote:

I have a Toshiba TV that is several years old, I don't know if it's HD or not. For cable I have AT&T U-verse, and I use a JVC device as a DVD player and sound system. Netflix's website talks about devices that it works with, but the particular ones I have aren't mentioned. U-verse has several interactive apps, but Netflix doesn't show up on my screen. I don't want to sign up for Netflix if I won't be able to stream it to the TV. If I need additional equipment, I want to look into getting that first.

U-Verse is not going to offer Netflix streaming to its customers.  You will need a non-AT&T Device, such as a Roku box, Smart TV, Smart BluRay player, tablet or another type of streaming device (like Google Chromecast or many others).  AT&T has it's own VoD rental services and Netflix is a direct competitor.

I have this same issue (not the same equipment but issue with streaming Netflix) and was going to ask here but saw this response. So basically, if I go out and buy a Roku 3 device and attach it to my TV and connect to the internet which is using ATT Uverse that I should then be able to use my Netflix account to stream? I want to make sure this is the answer before going out and buying the device.  Thanks!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

tommy99 - The Roku is probably the best choice to view Netflix via the internet as an adder to existing TV & internet service.  There are a gazillion people using it for that.  It is the basic device designed to do that.

To watch Netflix via the internet you need three basic building blocks - A display, a "tuner/decoder/translator/software/app" and internet access. Each of the three must have compatible connection to the next one. And, the internet access must have sufficient bandwidth so the viewing does not deteriorate.

Any TV with an input matching the output of the next device works. A connection cable is required.

I believe at least 6 mb internet service is recommended & it must not be exhibiting problems with casual access - try streaming Netflix on the computer or any other video.

Netflix on the computer is a good place to start talking about combination devices A computer can provide both display and tuner functions & it connects to the internet. But you want to watch on the TV. Here is where to learn about using the TV as a computer display - https://sewelldirect.com/articles/PCtoTV.aspx

I believe chromecast is just another way to connect the computer to the TV  for display. When it first came out I thought it was like the Roku connecting to the internet. But, as its name says it "casts" from the computer. So, to watch Netflix it requires a computer connection, where Roku does not.

Other "combination" devices include -

Smart TVs connect to the internet & tune various sites. But, they do it through apps. If the TV does not have an app for the stream you want. it wil not work for you. Most smart TVs do have Netflix, but many are not very robust after that.

Smart DVD players are similar to Smart TVs - Replacing the display function with  the play DVD function.

You may only want Netflix now, but more streaming is the way of the future.

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

9 years ago

@aviewer wrote:

tommy99 - The Roku is probably the best choice to view Netflix via the internet as an adder to existing TV & internet service.  There are a gazillion people using it for that.  It is the basic device designed to do that.

To watch Netflix via the internet you need three basic building blocks - A display, a "tuner/decoder/translator/software/app" and internet access. Each of the three must have compatible connection to the next one. And, the internet access must have sufficient bandwidth so the viewing does not deteriorate.

Any TV with an input matching the output of the next device works. A connection cable is required.

I believe at least 6 mb internet service is recommended & it must not be exhibiting problems with casual access - try streaming Netflix on the computer or any other video.

Netflix on the computer is a good place to start talking about combination devices A computer can provide both display and tuner functions & it connects to the internet. But you want to watch on the TV. Here is where to learn about using the TV as a computer display - https://sewelldirect.com/articles/PCtoTV.aspx

I believe chromecast is just another way to connect the computer to the TV  for display. When it first came out I thought it was like the Roku connecting to the internet. But, as its name says it "casts" from the computer. So, to watch Netflix it requires a computer connection, where Roku does not.

Other "combination" devices include -

Smart TVs connect to the internet & tune various sites. But, they do it through apps. If the TV does not have an app for the stream you want. it wil not work for you. Most smart TVs do have Netflix, but many are not very robust after that.

Smart DVD players are similar to Smart TVs - Replacing the display function with  the play DVD function.

You may only want Netflix now, but more streaming is the way of the future.

Thanks for the comprehensive response, I really appreciate it. The weird part is that I have the latest in SmartTV as I have a 2014 model Samsung 3D TV which have Netflix app by default. But even with this built in, it may still be using the provider's info to stream and that is where I'm having the streaming issue.

So I will go and have a try with the Roku box as that is a fairly inexpensive route to try. I tried using the Chromecast and didn't like the fact that it depends on another device like computer or mobile phone to view/stream. I know, the Roku is another device but the Roku is attached to the TV so it's dedicated device.

Thanks again, I'll post again the results after I give it a try.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

@tommy99  - There were a few threads on problems with Samsung smart TVs.

I believe there were two posted solutions -

Your TV may not be set to USA as the country & Try changing the DNS to google - 8.8.8.8.

Call Samsung,. They should have good advice by now.

The Smart in the Samsung TV & the Roku do work basically the same. The Samsung has proven to have problems at the detail level that may well be why you are not succesful & Roku will work. Or, there could be a more basic problem that would also affect the ROKU.

I have the same feeling about the Chromecast as you posted. It is essentially a wireless HDMI marketed as internet access.

It really is amazing how the range of apps available varies so much across these devices.

Looking forward to reading your post on your Roku experience.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.