Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
dalesandn's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Saturday, January 9th, 2016 7:06 PM

where to send complaint for conflicting info on BOGO samsung deal that i missed out on because of

Last month, AT&T was running a promotion of BOGO on Samsung galaxy phones that was, also, offered at Best Buy. This was very appealing to me as I needed to upgrade two phones on my AT&T account. The nearest Best Buy store is 45 minutes away from me. As a result, I felt I should call AT&T to verify I could do this before I made that long drive. I chatted with a rep and she said yes, I could upgrade two phones with this promo . I called the Best Buy store and was told the same. I could not make it the day I chatted/called. So, the next day, I did this again because I just had a feeling I should verify. I chatted with AT&T and was told something completely different….that one of the phones has to be on a new line. I was told that it says it on the AT&T page that a new line is req’d. I researched this and found it out to be true. I then called Best Buy back and was told this new information as well!? I was very confused, so I repeated this the next day as there was only one day left for the BOGO. I was told the same thing….a new line was req’d. So, needless to say, I missed out on the promotion.
The next week, I thought I would chat with AT&T to convey my frustration. In my chat, the agent said that I could have done it….I could have upgraded both lines and a new line was not required. He said it was too late, however, but that it could have been done and, unfortunately, he couldn’t honor the deal since it was over. I finished my chat and then called AT&T. The rep told me both of them were wrong and a new line is required and I am out of luck…too bad.
Since I was told a new line was required, I decided to just go ahead and upgrade one of my phones since I was going to be on that side of town anyway. As the Best Buy rep was upgrading my phone, I told her how upsetting it was that I could not take advantage of the prior week’s deal. She asked me why I couldn’t and I told her because I did not want to add a new line. She then told me that I did not have to add a new line and that both phones could be upgrades. She informed me that she had done several upgrades on both phones for several customers all month long. She even had her supervisor verify that with me. Unbelievable! How could this happen? Several times I called/chatted with AT&T and Best Buy and I was told it could not be done! I didn’t want to take this chance, obviously, but the gal upgrading my phone said it would not have been an issue.
I should not have been given false information. I was told I could not upgrade both on multiple occasions only to find out after the fact that I could have! It is not my fault that AT&T and Best Buy customer service gave me wrong information. But when I am told by Best Buy both on the phone and via chat that one line has to be a new line, what was I supposed to do? I am very upset and frustrated with AT&T.
I have chatted several times since to reps asking how this can happen. Every time, the reps and supervisors say the information is false and there was no possible way to upgrade both phones with the BOGO deal. How is it then that the gal at Best Buy (and her Supervisor) said it could have been? If it wasn’t allowed then AT&T and Best Buy would have several people complaining because they are being charged for two phones instead of just one. The only thing I kept hearing from the reps is….too bad you were given the wrong information and there is no way to compensate you. It wasn’t wrong information because it had been done several times at Best Buy. AT&T does not care about existing long term customer satisfaction (been with AT&T since 1990’s).

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

You have to realize that all the info released on the Att site did state it had to be a new line. So your not going to get a thing.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

I don't understand what you want compensation for. You want to be compensated for the second phone that you never bought? For what it is worth, I would have loved to take advantage of the promotion too as I've got 3 lines in need of an upgrade but since the promotion required a new line, even as an employee I couldn't either. I'm also not too sure what those reps told you about not needing one of the two phones being on a new line was true. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

8 years ago

There was some confusion about the promotion.  The add did indicate one line must be new.  The details aka fine print, did not include that stipulation.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 @sandblaster @dalesandn

lets put this to bed here is the official ATT press release...

Capture.JPG

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

I have copies of two separate chats that are from ATT. One states I can get the two phones as an upgrade. The other states one has to be a new line but the other line I wanted upgraded could be transferred to the new line and then cancelled. i, also, went into the Cedar Rapids Best Buy yesterday and was told that I could have done it as well. I have physical proof of what I was told. I know what the fine print stated. I just wanted more detail so I chatted and received the incorrect information. I accepted what ATT said but when I went to Best Buy and was told I could have done two upgrades, it really bothered me. Both companies said Best Buy cannot do two upgrades and in reality than can and did.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@dalesandn wrote:

I have copies of two separate chats that are from ATT. One states I can get the two phones as an upgrade. The other states one has to be a new line but the other line I wanted upgraded could be transferred to the new line and then cancelled. i, also, went into the Cedar Rapids Best Buy yesterday and was told that I could have done it as well. I have physical proof of what I was told. I know what the fine print stated. I just wanted more detail so I chatted and received the incorrect information. I accepted what ATT said but when I went to Best Buy and was told I could have done two upgrades, it really bothered me. Both companies said Best Buy cannot do two upgrades and in reality than can and did.

Of course Best Buy can do two upgrades. That does not mean the customer will get the BOGO credit. The promotion said the credit will start showing up in "up to 3" billing cycles. In a month or two we'll probably get posts from those folks asking why aren't they getting their BOGO credit on their bill. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

8 years ago

@sandblaster is correct... I will be bookmarking this thread so they can read the press release @GLIMMERMAN76 posted.   

However, this does show how confusing and poorly advertised an explained these promotions can be.    

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

I know I won't get compensated.  The main thing I want everyone to know is, regardless of what ATT says, don't believe it.  Call and chat several times to verify.  Same for Best Buy.  Had I went to Best Buy after the first chat with ATT that said I could upgrade both lines, I would, possilby, be one of those that went to Best Buy, got the upgrades and then found out one had to be a new line and end up paying for two phones afterall. I say Possibly though because only time will tell what happens in the next three months when the bill credits start posting. My main frustration was conflicting answers. I am over it with ATT,. I am not pursuing it anymore.  It was just frustrating to know I possibly could have done it and given the extra phone as a Christmas present like I wanted to.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

Gonna be some P 0'ed Best Buy customers in about 2-3 months Smiley Surprised

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

The same thing as happened to me. I have been swindled by AT&T for the last 6 months and I have been paying for 2 phones although I was told that I need to only pay for one and DONT need to get a new line. It is all a big scam. How do we take this to court? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.