For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Rsg6154's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 5th, 2016 2:15 PM

Uverse gateway shutdown

Why does my Uverse gateway shutdown about every 12 hours? All the lights go off except the power light and if I wait about 3 to 4 minutes everything comes back up. I can power cycle everything, to the same result it just takes longer for everything to come back on line. All I get from so called support is everything is working now call us back if it happens again. I do not want to pay for something only to sit on the phone waiting only to be told restart everything to see if it fixed it. NO done that AGAIN it is not fixing it. YES by the time SUPPORT is on the line it is working.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

8 years ago

It's one of several things:

1. Many of the Gateway's have a bug in their IPv6 handling that causes them to crash periodically.  Turning off IPv6 in your gateway (at http://192.168.1.254/ ) would fix this problem if it is occuring.
  2. You could have a power fluctation situation causing your gateway to lose sync and retrain.  This is fairly rare, but does occur.
  3. Your gateway could be overheating if in an enclosed space or if the cooling vents are blocked.
  4. There could be Radio Frequency interference from your home or your neighbors causing your gateway to lose sync and retrain.  Baby monitors, bad electrical transformers, appliances, etc.
  5. The quality of the connections on your line from the neighborhood VRAD could be marginal and in combination with #4 above, could be causing your gateway to lose sync and retrain.  You can use http://ufix.att.com and see if it sees anything.  You can also go to http://192.168.1.254/ , click on the Broadband tab, and look at the table that has sync rates, attenuation, SNR and error counts.  Take a screenshot of that information and put it in a reply to this thread and we'll take a look.  Wait a few hours after a gateway reboot to be sure it has had a chance to collect some information.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

From Broadband Status Broadband Connection Source DSL Broadband Connection Up Broadband IPv4 Address 108.246.72.41 Gateway IPv4 Address 108.246.72.1 MAC Address 10:05:b1:16:e8:e1 Primary DNS 68.94.156.11 Secondary DNS 68.94.157.11 Primary DNS Name dns156r11.sbcglobal.net Secondary DNS Name dns157r11.sbcglobal.net MTU 1500 DSL Status Line State Up Downstream Sync Rate (kbps) 25311 Upstream Sync Rate (kbps) 2036 Downstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps) 56292 Upstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps) 2036 Modulation VDSL2 Data Path Interleaved Downstream Upstream SN Margin (dB) 22.4 0 Line Attenuation (dB) 26.9 0 Output Power(dBm) 14.2 -4.7 Errored Seconds 0 0 Loss of Signal 0 0 Loss of Frame 0 0 FEC Errors 981 0 CRC Errors 0 0 IPv6 Status Available Global Unicast IPv6 Address 2602:306:cf64:8290::/60 Border Relay IPv4 Address 12.83.49.81 IPv4 Statistics Transmit Packets 119780 Transmit Errors 0 Transmit Discards 6 IPv6 Statistics Transmit Packets 2435 Transmit Errors 0 Transmit Discards 0 Clear Statistics

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

maybe easier to read Broadband Status Broadband Connection Source DSL Broadband Connection Up Broadband IPv4 Address 108.246.72.41 Gateway IPv4 Address 108.246.72.1 MAC Address 10:05:b1:16:e8:e1 Primary DNS 68.94.156.11 Secondary DNS 68.94.157.11 Primary DNS Name dns156r11.sbcglobal.net Secondary DNS Name dns157r11.sbcglobal.net MTU 1500 DSL Status Line State Up Downstream Sync Rate (kbps) 25311 Upstream Sync Rate (kbps) 2036 Downstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps) 56292 Upstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps) 2036 Modulation VDSL2 Data Path Interleaved Downstream Upstream SN Margin (dB) 22.4 0 Line Attenuation (dB) 26.9 0 Output Power(dBm) 14.2 -4.7 Errored Seconds 0 0 Loss of Signal 0 0 Loss of Frame 0 0 FEC Errors 981 0 CRC Errors 0 0 IPv6 Status Available Global Unicast IPv6 Address 2602:306:cf64:8290::/60 Border Relay IPv4 Address 12.83.49.81 IPv4 Statistics Transmit Packets 119780 Transmit Errors 0 Transmit Discards 6 IPv6 Statistics Transmit Packets 2435 Transmit Errors 0 Transmit Discards 0

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

8 years ago

Focusing in on this:

Downstream Sync Rate (kbps) 25311
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps) 2036
Downstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps) 56292
Upstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps) 2036
Modulation VDSL2
Data Path Interleaved
Downstream Upstream
SN Margin (dB) 22.4 0
Line Attenuation (dB) 26.9 0
Output Power(dBm) 14.2 -4.7
Errored Seconds 0 0
Loss of Signal 0 0 
Loss of Frame 0 0
FEC Errors 981 0
CRC Errors 0 0

Your line looks reasonably clean.  Your attenuation is moderate, your SN Margin is pretty good.  You've got FEC errors that are acceptable for any collection period greater than 10 minutes.

So... @JWB92150, are you experiencing the same issues as the OP?  Your stats would seem to eliminate #4 and #5 (unless you captured these stats immediately after a gateway reboot).

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Guess my question is: anytime just a small drop in electric as today during rain and storms everything shuts down and has to restart sometimes the lights only flicker, changed battery in Belkin added another backup but still keeps happening. No one can seem to tell me if it is the momentary power loss, which is restored by the backup or the lines coming to the house from the local box down the treet. MAybe it is also loosing power? I would just like to know if this is a normal situation and can it be fixed?

Joe

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Are you still there?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@JWB92150 - Focusing on your last post regarding loss of power -

If you have voice service & have a built in battery backup it is intended to keep the voice srvice going, but it seems reasonable to expect it to cover the whole RG.

Certainly if you add another backup for the RG it would keep it going, But, I believe there could be interaction problems between the two.

Then, all TV goes through the DVR - you would want that to be ion a backup to prevent reaction. TV on other STBs will work when the DVR is fully off, but if it stops & restarts, I can see where TV may be blocked during that time.

Also, any STB/TV/computer that you want continuous service needs back-up.

To test if your home is fully protected try deactvating at the breaker. If you lose service, check your backups - deactivate one breaker at a time - starting with the RG.& work your way up.

Once, you see everything ok in the house, then it could be a problem at the VRAD. They have battery backup, but any place can have a fault.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

8 years ago

Yes, your Gateway could be losing power, or

Yes, your Gateway could be seeing noise created by either a remote lightning strike, or

Yes, your Gateway could be retraining due to rain causing shorts in your wiring pair.

The portion of the stats you posted didn't include an uptime, but didn't indicate a retrain.  This would tend to indicate a power problem (or the IPv6 bug, which was listed at the top of my previous post.  Have you already turned off IPv6?).

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

how do i do that?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

8 years ago

@aviewer wrote:

@JWB92150 - Focusing on your last post regarding loss of power -

If you have voice service & have a built in battery backup it is intended to keep the voice srvice going, but it seems reasonable to expect it to cover the whole RG....

It may seem reasonable to expect that, but you may be disapointed if you do.  The Gateways with internal batteries enable only the bare minimum functionality to support VOIP.  This means no Wi-Fi.  No TV.  No Wired Internet.  This extends the duration that VOIP can remain available during a power outage.  If you need the Gateway to provide Internet during a power outage, you'll need to provide your own source of backup power (a beefy UPS or a generator for any length of time more than a few minutes).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.