Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Mike5777's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, January 8th, 2019 1:21 AM

WiFi calling on prepaid plan

Dose Att prepaid plan have WiFi calling?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@colbyringeisen With only a few exceptions (iphones and the pixel 3), wifi calling is not supported on non-ATT phones on postpaid. There is little to no chance they will be supported on prepaid. Your problem is not that the phone is unlocked, the problem is it is not an ATT branded phone.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

@nealsil wrote:

“Installed it”? What did you install to get it working?

You don’t install anything.  A carrier update installs a CSC file which enables WiFi calling. It’s already on Pixel 3 on postpaid.  You need to enable Volte/advanced calling features on your phone.  If that won’t enable you either aren’t in an HD coverage area, or it’s not yet enabled for prepaid in your area. 

You may want to ask if a new SIM card will trigger the service.  When it was first rolled out it was to new accounts.  

Unfortunately AT&T is mum on the topic. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

No, prepaid does not support WiFi calling.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

I’m going to say, no. Not yet.   The rumor is VoLTE will be added this month, which is required for Wifi calling.  I’m not holding my breath, but it makes sense and it has to happen eventually.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

WiFi calling works on ATT prepaid. Installed it yesterday, finally able to talk without having to stand by the window. 

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

@Racintim28 how did you get it to work

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

It was enabled on 1/28/19

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

5 years ago

I was told by an AT&T tech support rep that VoLTE and WiFi calling are in the process being rolled out and it should be available to all prepaid customers by March. We'll see if that happens or not. I was also told my Pixel 3 was eligible and would get it (eventually). AT&T are the last to add this feature to prepaid accounts. Even Mint SIM already has WiFi calling. I was considering porting out but if they manage to get WiFi calling working I'll be ok..

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

5 years ago

@dagoof wrote:

I was told by an AT&T tech support rep that VoLTE and WiFi calling are in the process being rolled out and it should be available to all prepaid customers by March. We'll see if that happens or not. I was also told my Pixel 3 was eligible and would get it (eventually). AT&T are the last to add this feature to prepaid accounts. Even Mint SIM already has WiFi calling. I was considering porting out but if they manage to get WiFi calling working I'll be ok..

1.  Mint relies on Wifi so you won’t use their cell service (that way they aren’t actually providing a network)

2.  It’s already up, which is why people are posting they are already using it.

3.  Pixel 3 does work with Wifi calling, I have one.  

Enable HD voice and advanced calling and see if you’re already up and running. 

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

5 years ago

I have used Mint and have had great service around here and I never had to use WiFi except at my home. I know it runs on TMobile's network but around here TMobile is fairly solid.

I know it's already up as I have seen reports of it working on Reddit and other forums.

I have enabled it numerous times and I always get an "Ooops" error and it bombs out. I just tried it and got the same result. This is what prompted me to call tech support in the first place. Perhaps I need to swap out the sim.

EDIT: Just returned from an AT&T store. Store reps knew nothing about WiFi calling on prepaid. A rep did call their customer service line and spoke to someone that told them the same story I heard when I called. It's being rolled out and hasn't hit my market yet. Hurry up and wait.

ACE - Scholar

• 

986 Messages

5 years ago

Note that it is only enabled on select phones.  Newer ATT branded phones, iPhones (6 and later), and Pixel 3.  

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

I have a I phone 7 and can’t get it to work. What is your trick

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.