Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
solara14's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, June 6th, 2019 4:56 AM

AT&T PREPAID PHONES ARE NOT SECURE

I purchased a Nokia Windows Phone in 2015, and Windows dropped security around 2017.  I suspected my coworkers could hear my phone through their cell phones, maybe by way of Bluetooth.  I eventually found out this cell phone could be heard and seen by nearby coworkers' personal cell phones, and possibly outside of the department.  However, my nearby family members and friends could not hear or see the phone on their cell phones.

I purchased a new AT&T Prepaid LG Phoenix, brought it in to work, and the same thing is happening.  Is this an issue with the phone, or could cameras and other devices in the department have an effect on prepaid phones?  I cannot see or hear anyone else's cell phone.  There is zero privacy on these phones, including internet, texts and calls, they are wide open.  Employees don't have access to the company's Wi-Fi, and my Bluetooth and Location are turned off.

Has anyone else heard of this, or give an explanation?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40 is correct in that this has nothing to do with prepaid or postpaid phones or the phone's security. It's entirely a problem of other people's Bluetooth headsets connecting to your phone. All the phone does is accept or decline Bluetooth pairing requests, and it can't tell which headset is yours or not.

If you look in your Bluetooth settings and see other headsets listed in your paired devices, tap them and tap "unpair." Depending on your phone, there may also be an option to keep your phone from being discoverable. You could also, of course, turn off your Bluetooth and make calls without a headset.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

5 years ago

😂.   This is a joke right?   None of what you wrote is true or possible.  A phone is a phone, there is no difference in ‘security’  between phones sold at a discount for prepaid. 

If coworkers heard you, it’s because you were close enough and speaker set loud enough.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

You're an AT&T employee.  I'm a regular joe schmoe asking for unbiased help.  My coworker's are several feet away from me, and I only use headphones, at a low volume.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

5 years ago

This is a customer populated forum, not AT&T support.   Anyone who works for AT&T is clearly identified.

If I work here where is my dog gone check?   

Even if your phone no longer updates security, their phones do.    And your new phone is up to date on security.  

You might have added, “we all use Bluetooth headphones and they connect to my phone”.   Now that I would’ve believed.   Old computer term, ‘ garbage in garbage out ‘.   If you don’t provide complete information in your post you don’t get an answer that makes any sense to your situation. 

Bluetooth headphones can’t connect to more than one device at a time, if there are multiple Bluetooth devices being used in the same location it would be possible for multiple devices to connect to one phone. That has nothing to do with your phone security and everything to do with the simplicity of Bluetooth. You should all get plug-in headphones when working in close proximity.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

Bluetooth headphones can’t connect to more than one device at a time

@lizdance40 Actually there are Bluetooth headphones that will connect to more than one device. I have such a pair and it causes me issues as I switch back and forth between iPhone and iPad if I forget to disconnect the device I’m not using. I need to make sure I break the connection to the device I’m not using.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

5 years ago

Sure, I have one BT headset and use with multiple devices.  But it cannot connect to 2 devices at the same time.  As you say, ‘without problems’. 

It will connect to my phone, and keep connected, refusing to connect to another device, unless I disconnect manually.  

My point  is the issue is Bluetooth, not phones, and not security.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

{keep it courteous}

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the comment, @sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40 Just to clarify, my Bluetooth headphones will connect to my iPhone and iPad at the same time. If I let that happen and don’t turn Bluetooth off on the device I’m not using, I have issues with the audio cutting in and out. But the headphones can connect to multiple devices simultaneously.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Is everyone aware that Bluetooth Hubs exist so multiple devices are accessible? Do we always know what our employers/cable/phone/cell systems are doing or how they are set up? I have been working in the software & hardware domestic/i nternational sales since 1992 and I think there is a lot going on that is happening and possible. The only way to know this is reading a lot or finding the right tech sight to keep you updated. Have you all heard of 'Sling Shot' malware discovered by the FBI that has been operating for 5+ years utilizing cable TV connected gateway routers? Listening and accessing pretty much at will? Then you have the TMobile - Hawaei union exposing more compromise, then you got ZTE that seemed like was all you could find anywhere at one time, employees of Presidential committee and other Fed employees were told non allowed for any business...period, and the list goes on. No one will confirm, but I know personally these things have been a personal issue across Verizon FiOS, TMobile billing account Hawaei smartphone, Spectrum, Boost Prepaid Hawaei smartphone, Sprint billing account

Samsung free with new service, and AT&T which includes service with Cricket which use to be AIO Wireless (purchased by AT&T to get them into the prepaid business) and has also affected desktops and laptops I have used and all compromised or unusable cause of compromised O/S created by hackers from who knows where including their having 5 or 6 computers attached through my cable router collecting various data including credit card authorizations. To date I have not had any assistance to resolve or recoop BIG loses or even offer replacement data stolen by other entities who are using or reselling data I have paid for. Everyone needs to wake up and become a little more conscience-minded about the realities of a tech world we have helped create.  I have been called crazy and told impossible for anyone to actually have access to my computers or cells, but I am here to tell you check these things out for yourself and then think about push messaging and advertising scenario setups. It's up to you and all of us to affect changes if we want them.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.