Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Terrible Connection Inside & Outside of Home

Teacher

Terrible Connection Inside & Outside of Home

I have a Galaxy S5 phone ๐Ÿ™‚ works great except for the terrible connection to ATT where ever I am. When at home in a residential area blocks away from a tower it felt like someone was blocking my 4G LTE usage although my phone showed I was connected with a nice connection. I recently bought another house, in the hills of Southern California and the connection is even worse. Its barely connected and everything is slow when it does work. Many times I lose connection all together. Neighbors have Verizon (or T Mobile) and do not have the problems we have. My wife has an iPhone 9 or 10 and she has the exact problem that I do. I believe its the phones, she thinks its ATT.

Im considering buying a mid range phone such as a Moto G7 Power which seems to cover a large range of 4G networks, at least in comparison to my old trusty S5. Thoughts? Thank you!

For reference the Moto G7 Power covers these 4G networks...

4G NetworkLTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 14(700), 17(700), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 29(700), 30(2300), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100), 71(600)
Tags (1)
Message 1 of 40
ACE - Master

Your S5 is missing most of the bands that AT&T uses these days, so an upgrade will (probably) make a big difference.

Other options (with a newer device) also include WiFi calling, assuming the device you purchase has support for it (mostly this is limited, to carrier-branded, and iOS devices).

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 40
Teacher

PGREY, thanks for the reply. I was actually hoping to hear from you after reading some of your forum posts especially one where you mentioned band 66. I am now about 2 to 3 miles away from my nearest antenna which includes hillsides and forest. Its uneasy when I have no network at all to make a call. Thanks for your insight.

Message 3 of 40
Teacher

Also Im guessing my wife has an iphone 8... she has had the phone at least a year now. Im hoping the same for her, an upgrade would help.

EDIT: just checked model 8... has all the same bands if not more thant the moto G7 power including band 66... she also has terrible connection... sometimes no connection. We are at a loss on how to solve this issue without switching carriers.

Message 4 of 40
ACE - Master

@dynamo69 wrote:

PGREY, thanks for the reply. I was actually hoping to hear from you after reading some of your forum posts especially one where you mentioned band 66. I am now about 2 to 3 miles away from my nearest antenna which includes hillsides and forest. Its uneasy when I have no network at all to make a call. Thanks for your insight.

@dynamo69 Yeah, that's exactly it, plus I'm not sure if the S5 had great band 12/17 support, and newer phones tend to have MUCH better antennas, and overall radio components, in general (this is mostly true, across-the-board).

Anyway, glad I was able to reply here today, in that you saw my other posts, and provide the insight which I'm pretty sure (unless you live in a really odd location in S. Ca) will improve your mobile experience.

IF this solves your issue, I'd really appreciate it if you could mark it such (solved), so others encountering the thread will have additional resources, to solve similar issues, moving forward, thanks (plus it's always nice to hear that it worked;-])!

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 40
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by dynamo69
โ€Ž09-16-2019 4:39 PM

Yeah, the iPhone 8 has those bands, so it could be that you just live in a "weird crossover area", where AT&T just struggles with their existing tower installs.

This leaves you with three options (I'd still upgrade the phone though, either way, particularly if you decide to use WiFi calling as part of the solution), as I see it:

1. Use WiFi calling (again, new phone for yourself, but the 8 will support it, already), for all/most of your calls from home, which tends to work pretty well (not always fantastically, but usually plenty-good-enough).

2. Get a cell-phone booster (if you search for my name and "booster", you can see some of my recommends, and @OttoPylot also has written a fantastic article about them, some of which I provided input on).

3. Change carriers (to a known-good quantity for your location).

That's probably the order I'd choose too, in terms of preference, if I were in your shoes.

Again, let us know what you decide, and how it works out, it'd be great to see this marked as "Solved", so others can (re)use it.

The Pixel phones (and also the Moto phones, and a few others) are known to have pretty fantastic radio/antenna implementations, so in a "marginal coverage area", they can sometimes work pretty well, where others do not, all phones are really NOT created equal, in this regard.

The Pixel3 is an awesome phone, but it's not cheap, but the G7 should have close to the same experience, in terms of radios (the other features are not quite the same, but it's a MUCH cheaper phone), and you have to have an ATT-Branded one, if you want to use WiFi calling with it, whereas the Pixel3 will work, non-branded, for WiFi calling.

Hopefully I haven't "overloaded" you with info here;  I look forward to hearing the results!

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 40
Teacher

I'll accept your solution as you have given me plenty of direction to solve our issues, thanks! I was looking into these phones which are competitors to the G7...

• Xiaomi Mi A2
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
  • Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite

... mainly because of features/value. For example I could get dual camera, better CPU, better resolution, etc. It appears as if all of the typical networks are covered from what I can tell. Are these acceptable or should I steer clear of them? Appreciate all of the help! Looking forward to solving our issues once and for all.

Message 7 of 40
ACE - Expert

@dynamo69 - WiFi-C works great for in-home coverage on my iPhone 8 Plus and my wife's iPhone 7. As to the Xiaomi phones, I'm not familiar with them but if AT&T doesn't carry them, or they aren't meant for the domestic market, you may have issues setting up WiFi-C on the AT&T network. Hopefully @pgrey can shed more light on that.

MicroCell Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

I am not an AT&T employee.

Message 8 of 40
Teacher

Here is my dilemma... Im reading so many different sites and commentary that in order for a phone to work on ATT for 4G LTE I need bands 3,4,5... or I need bands 4, 17, or I need 12 and 30. Ive pretty much seen it all now ๐Ÿ™‚

I dont want to spend a whole lot on a phone, under $200 if I can help it. The Moto G7 Power covers a bunch of different bands so I should be good with it and its a fairly new phone however the screen resolution sounds horrible. The other phones I listed (Xiaomi) have awesome specs compared to that G7 but dont seem to cover many bands. Reviewers on Amazon and elsewhere seem to have no problem with ATT LTE networks so Im confused which way to go.

Message 9 of 40
ACE - Expert

@dynamo69 - an iPhone, especially the newer models, should have no problems connecting unless you are in an "AT&T cellular hole" where only some of the bands are available.

Your post keeps popping up on the MicroCell page, and it appears that your issue is not MicroCell related so I'll get the other ACE's deal with this.

Message 10 of 40
ACE - Master

@dynamo69 wrote:

The other phones I listed (Xiaomi) have awesome specs compared to that G7 but dont seem to cover many bands

I won't weigh in on the bands since that's not my expertise. I can tell you that those phones probably won't have Wi-Fi Calling because they're not AT&T-branded phones. Unlocked non-branded phones usually don't. That means if it's a matter of coverage and not bands, then you'll be stuck without indoor service. If you had great service already, I'd say go for it, but in your case I don't think it's worth the risk.

**Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, have never worked for AT&T, and have never been compensated by them in any way, shape, or form**
Message 11 of 40
Teacher

I turned on wi-fi calling last night on my phone and calls worked fine for me. Thanks! Maybe we are in one of these weird crossover areas or cellular holes. However we both experience poor reception all over Southern California with our phones. A poor connection would make sense with my old S5, but its strange this happens with her phone which is newer than mine.I may end up just buying a couple of phones and which ever one works better or my situation is the one I keep.

Message 12 of 40
ACE - Expert

@dynamo69 - glad to hear that WiFi-C is working for you. As to calls outside of your home, that's strange. Our daughter lives in So. Calif. and she has very few reception issues. Same for us when we visit her with our iPhones.

Message 13 of 40
ACE - Master

@dynamo69 The Moto G7 is a "tricky" phone, all the newer Moto models have been.  There's one variant (of about 7 I think), that has *almost* all the bands, except 29/30 (which are pretty prevalent in my area, the PNW, even if 30 is a backhaul-download-only band), I think it's the "Pure G7 Unlocked", but I'm not sure on the exact model#; if that's the phone, I can try to figure out the exact variant and re-post here.

I like OnePlus phones (the past few years anyway), they also have pretty good radios/antennas, in particular the 6T and OP7 Pro have ALL the AT&T bands, great specs overall, and strong radios, IME.  Unfortunately, AT&T has *still* not enabled WiFi calling for the OP series though, so if that's the best option, none of these are likely a good one, for your setup.

If I could have any phone, it'd be the Pixel 3XL, with it's truly awesome set of specs/radios, but the OP7 Pro is a close second, as is the 6T, and it's half the price.  Not having WiFi calling is a pain, at times, for us, but we have "good enough" coverage that our OP phones work for us, 95% of the time, or thereabouts.

Getting into the sub-200 range (mostly) requires a carrier model, which is what you want anyway, if you want to use WiFi calling, AND have full radio coverage (which it sounds like you need, and IMO, everyone SHOULD have, with a phone, why would you not want ALL the radios/bands a carrier uses, which often works better internationally, too), if the Pixel3 series isn't an option (which it sounds like it isn't, budget-wise).

Is that a hard-line, the sub-200?  I can poke around on the site, and see what I see, I'm not always up on the carrier-branded models, as I don't often recommend them (for a variety of reasons, travel being just one).

Boosters can "fix" this, too, IF there's SOME signal at your home, but they only fix it where the booster is, for those bands that the phone has, they're not going to help when you're out-about (obviously), unless you take one with you, most places.

Message 14 of 40
Highlighted
ACE - Master

@dynamo69 A used Galaxy S9 or S9+ would have all these bands, and *might* get close to the 200-ish range, depending on how "used" it is, maybe...

An LG G8 (the At&T carrier model), again, used, also *might* get close to the 200-ish range, and has all the bands (IME, LG's tend to lose value REALLY fast, so you can often find a "deal" on a used G8 or similar).

Both of these include the "newer" bands AT&T has been deploying (along with the entire older set), like 12/17/29/30/66, plus they have 71, which means they can roam to T-mobile, for emergencies (if that's what's available).

All the iOS devices from the 8 forward will also support these bands, I'm just not an iOS guy (not going to get into that here), and as you experienced, your one iPhone8 works with WiFi calling, at your home, so maybe a used iOS device.

There are options that will work for you, if you choose to stick with AT&T, there just aren't a huge variety, particularly a "cheap variety"... ;-]

Message 15 of 40
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support