For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Fxstsirider's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Monday, January 5th, 2009 5:37 AM

Closed

Smart phone with old blue sim card

Have an old at&t family plan I wont give up. My wife does hair and wants a smart phone to keep her clients info. And make appointments so she doesnt have to keep her book with her. So I am looking for a phone with great reception and that can organize and keep track of her clients and their appointments. And be able to use my old sim card.  I like the blackjack 2 from reviews I`ve read it has very good call reception. I know its a shame to have a phone with all those capabilities and not utilize them. But I am not willing to over double my bill each month for something I dont need. We dont email, text message or need data. I just want great reception. Organizer. And keep my old sim and plan. Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

788 Messages

15 years ago

As long as the phone is an unlocked GSM phone (it is), it will work with your blue sim card. As long as the phone supports both the 850 & 1900 MHz bands (it does), she shouldn't have a problem with coverage. Data & text usage is optional. Incoming text messages are still free for blue customers.

Master

• 

788 Messages

15 years ago

You will more than likely need to purchase an unlocked GSM phone elsewhere if you want to keep your old blue plan. Although there is a $24.99 Unlimited mMode data plan avaiable to blue customers, it has never been a requirement.
  • Your sim card (8901 0380 xxxx xxxx) will not work in a Cingular/AT&T Mobility branded phone unless the phone has been unlocked. If you purchase a device directly from AT&T Mobility, you would more than likely need to pay full retail for it and will need to get the phone unlocked so that it will work with your blue sim card.
  • If you want reasonable coverage on AT&T Mobility's network, make sure the phone supports GSM on both the 850 & 1900 MHz bands. The 900 & 1800 MHz bands are useful if you are traveling outside of North America.
  • If you want to use AT&T Mobility's 3G network, make sure that your phone supports UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA on the 850 & 1900 MHz bands. The 2100 MHz band is only useful outside of North America.
  • If you choose an unlocked phone, you may need to configure the network settings to work with wireless internet & MMS service. More than likely, you would need a 3rd party application if you want IM support (most of the java applications such as IM+ & Agile Messenger make use of data connection instead of text messaging)
  • In general, it may be a good idea to avoid unlocked T-Mobile devices if you intend on making use of data services. T-Mobile has a habit of locking the network settings. If you only need voice & text messaging, this isn't an issue.
  • Unlike most unlocked phones, you may also want to consider avoiding devices that make use of 3rd party servers such as the Sidekick, OGO, Blackberry, etc...
If you decide to pick up an unlocked phone, at a minimum you should have voice, SMS, and voicemail capability. Most third-party retailers sell brand new unlocked phones that have never been locked to any wireless carrier and in most cases you will be able to update the WAP browser & MMS settings. According to some of the third-party retailers listed below, a one year warranty through the manufacturer is available if purchased from them.I hope this helps. 🙂

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks blue for life. Her is a link to the phone I was thinking about getting her. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170291030899  Remember I am old school. We dont need data or text. Just good reception and a organizer for her.  We are in the western suburbs of Chicago. About 30 miles west of down town.

Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

15 years ago

Hey FX rider, I'm glad you were able to get in touch with blueforlife. I know that he would be able to get you in the right direction.

When you get the BJ2, have fun with it. I believe that itis a great phone for what your wife will use it for. I use it for the same thing + texting, but it works great when syncing with my computer. Do you guys have MocroSoft Outlook? That is the program the BJ2 works with and it's the bomb. Syncs up perfectly and exchanges information with the phone so that both devices have the same info.

When you get it, check to see if it has WM6.1 installed. Get back to me and I can tell you how to determine that quickly. If it doesn't have WM6.1, wait before you upgrade it. I say this because with WM6.1, you cannot sync the phone to two different computers, i.e., work and home. The older WM6.0 will sync to multi computers. it's a long story and I can get that info to you later, after you have the phone in hand.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks Blue4life (I love that screen name) and ghostryder for all your help. And yes she has outlook on her laptop and I have it on my desk top. I will let you know when I have the phone in hand. Thanks again.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.