For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
caserat's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Monday, November 16th, 2015 10:01 PM

Can't setup wifi calling

I tried setting up wifi calling but your system won't allow my address. I get an error due to the W in front. I even called the Sheriffs dept to verify my 911 address is as above. If I try without the W I get a warning that it is an invalid 911 address.
Many country addresses include a N, S, E or W at the front of their official 911 addresses here. Is there any way you can fix this error? I think your system thinks I'm trying to use a PO box.
I have to drive 2 miles away to make a phone call due to no service here so wifi calling could be a lifesaver!

[Personal information removed]

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@OttoPylot wrote:

@caserat wrote:

My problem is before it even tries connecting, it won't accept the W before number

I'm confused. Why do you need to use your address to make a call? Just dial 1-area code-number.

In order to set up wifi calling, it needs a legitimate verified address for 911 calls. The op is saying he can't get past that step. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Yes, I've tried it without the W but then it tells me it's not a valid 911 address.
Is there a way they can make it so people can enter N, S, E or W in front of house number?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

Got it. It sounds like the GPS Location Verification for the MicroCell. As I mentioned, the MicroCell needs a "numbered" address for E911. No p.o. box, rural address, or route number. I'm surprised WiFi-C needs that, but it could be an FCC requirement like it is for the MicroCell. I would still check Maps or whatever to see what it has for your location. You may be able to have AT&T manually use those coordinates if they are valid. On the MicroCell that's called a GPS Bypass. Or see what you local Emergency Services has for the GPS coordinates that match your address.

I'll ask the Admins to look into the GPS (address) requirements for enabling WiFi-C.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I'm having the same issue. In the WIFI calling interface. There is a section to enter a valid address for 911 emergency location. NO this is not the microcell, this is IPhone 6. Ok? When I enter my address and select Verify I get the same error. The error states that the address entered is not in the 911 emergency database. This is not true. This is ATT. Who do I call in ATT to get this resolved? I'm using Comcast Xfinity X1.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

Your question is a little confusing. The MicroCell is not a WiFi device. There is no WiFi interface. On the registration/activation page you enter the address of the physical location of the MicroCell. You then enter the phone number of the post paid AT&T cellular account owner. We call that the primary number. If that phone number belongs to an AT&T post paid cellular account, you should be able to register the MicroCell and then activate the myAT&T MicroCell account.

If you have an iPhone 6, you don't need the MicroCell at all unless there are other phones in your house that have poor cellular coverage and are not iPhone 5SE's and above. To use WiFi-C (WiFi calling) all you need to do is enable WiFi Calling on your iPhone 6. It will connect to your WiFi and you should be able to place calls. It works extremely well and most seem to prefer it over the MicroCell. If you are in a mixed environment, and want to use WiFI-C on your iPhone, then you will need to enable Airplane Mode, which turns off the cellular radio because the iPhone will preferentially seek a cellular signal so you don't want your phone to have to pick between WiFi and cellular because it will always try to connect via cellular.

From time to time the locational database needs to be updated. This is especially true if the physical address of the MicroCell is in a brand new development. If you have a rural address, route numer, or po box location errors are common because the local E911 address has not been given to AT&T. The E911 is an FCC reguirement, not AT&T's.

Please explain your setup in a little more detail and tell us if this is a brand new MicroCell or one that you purchased second hand (it may have not been deactivated by the orignal owner).

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

This isn't a microcell problem, no microcell involved.

Wifi calling on the iPhone does require you verify an address for 911 services.  I had to enter my address on iPhone 6 Plus, but have no N S E or W to add.

@Kenny.kelly1  have you verified your 911 address with your emergency services?

I am assuming your address is written in this format:

W 123 Main Street 

Not

123 W Main Street.

Not

123 Main Street West

????

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40

Thanks Liz. I wasn't quite sure. The old man is confused today.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

I think I messed up with my first post, I tagged you in on the wrong topic.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40

Not a problem. I am old and I am confused so I woulnd't have known the difference Smiley Sad

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I am not sure of why Microcell is being brought up. I am also trying to enable Wi-Fi calling on my 6 plus. In order to enable it on the iPhone, there is a requirement - before the Wi-Fi calling app can be turned on - to "Verify Emergency 911 Address." Obviously entering an address has nothing directly to do with making a Wi-Fi call, but rather appears to be an FCC emergency/safety requirement. However, it appears that many people, all who seem to be using AT&T, are receiving the same error message that indicates "We can't find a matach an dneed a valid address to enable Wi-Fi Calling (ESS0009)." 

Can someone please answer this simple question clearly as to why our addresses are not being accepted and how to resolve this?

Thank you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.