For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
pigskin072's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, September 30th, 2008 1:37 AM

Closed

Is there ANY way to view my child's text messages?!?

My son is always deleting his text messages, and he says that they are none of my buisiness. I was wondering if there was ANY way to view the text messages without having to actually see them on his phone. I really want to know what he's talking about, and he's starting to make me a little suspicious. Can I call AT&T? Can I see them online? Can I get a print out somehow?

Any and all responses will be highly appreciated! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks!!!

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

16 years ago

@Athena wrote:

@smmonfee wrote:
No you can't.  You didn't say how old he is but there is that program where you can limit his texting and who he can text. That might be an option. Has he given you any other reason to be suspicious?

As to being your business...Do you pay for his service? Does he have a phone due to your generosity? Then you can make it your business. You are the parent. And if his texting causes problems you can always block texting from his phone.  If he is under age, then whatever he does is your business...there are legal ramifications to things a child can do...and sometimes the parent is the one to pay.  So there is ample reason to stay in charge. I can see why his being secretive might make you suspicious, but watch for other things too.

Good luck.

Kids want their privacy, just like adults do.  I see nothing suspicious about wanting your privacy.

Agreed...But kids often do not have the best judgement about what's right and wrong, especially in the gray areas...And often kids will do things now that could never have been done in your and my childhood...Flirt shamelessly (even graphically) via text...sending pictures of themselves or others that should never be sent...

Kids can be secretive just because they're kids, but if a parent has cause to be suspicious, the kids need to allay those suspicions. Not hide behind "we deserve privacy, too" -- until they are responsible for their own well being, the parents have an obligation to ensure that their children are not harming themselves or others (nor planning to do so).

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

16 years ago

Thank you, Zandora, for putting it so well. Sometimes kids can be their own worst enemies.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

16 years ago

I agree with Zandora and Athena WHOLE-HEARTEDLY!!!  Furthermore, parents have the legal liability for the laws that their children may violate.  This puts us in the uncomfortable situation of not only caring for the wellbeing of our children and desiring to "respect their need to privacy" but also mandating our own awareness of what they are up to if necessary.  When children reach the age of majority (or have been legally emancipated) and can be held solely responsible for their own actions, then legal ramifications are removed from the parent.  Until such time, there remains the necessity of monitoring our childrens activities.  Failure to do so would abviously and accurately be construed as "Bad Parenting". 

There is much truth in the idiom, "As long as you are under my roof..."

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

16 years ago

I meant I agree with "Zandora and Smmonfee" not Athena.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.