For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
cousintim's profile

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

Friday, May 9th, 2014 10:13 PM

iPhone 6 Now Rumored for August Launch

Apple is set to launch the iPhone 6 in August, a month earlier than expected, according to a news report.  A 4.7-inch screen version of the iPhone 6 will reach stores in August, with a 5.5-inch or 5.6-inch model released in September.

Since the iPhone 5 was released on September 21, 2012, this would present an interesting dilemma to those who are on a two-year upgrade cycle. 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/09/us-apple-iphone-idUSBREA4808C20140509

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@youngjm wrote:

Here is something to think about....  Apple is one of the best companies about creating buzz and focusing on the user experience.

They know full well when everyone bought their iPhone 5's on the initial release day/week and who are probably going to be some of the first ones ready to buy the iPhone 6.  They also know what each carrier has in-terms of upgrade rules and eligibility.  They are not going to release something where a large group of users who are planning to upgrade have to wait.  That is just bad noise and allows time for users to consider other options if they cannot get the iPhone 6 on day 1.   They want that positive pre-order and release day buzz.  

If they release the iPhone 6 in August, they will probably work with the carriers to ensure the iPhone 5 users who bought on the opening week, can upgrade to the 6.  Or more likely, given the vacation blackout in September, will time the release when the upgrade window allows us to buy the iPhone 6.

I stongly beleive that regardless of the release date, purchasers of the iPhone 5, just about 2 years ago, will be allowed to upgrade to the iPhone 6 using the discounted pricing.  I think Apple will see to it for us.  The only twist could be ATT's push to get users to switch to NEXT!  Running the numbers for me shows that NEXT is a ripoff when you look at total cost of ownership!

why would they do that? It would be a break from all the other iphone release, search the forums for the hundreds of posts/threads complaining about no early upgrade for "dedicated" users. Suspect the Next plan will be the only option for those that want to do that and only if they hit their 12 months, a win win situation for the carrier, since they get the customers phone back for refurbishing and reselling

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

A subsidized iPhone 6 will cost AT&T a little less than $400 each.  Apple has about zero input into AT&T's customer upgrade (read: expense) plans.  The reality, as evidenced by the focus on Next, is that AT&T is weaning its customers off hefty upfront subsidies.  Almost 1/3 of AT&T's customers are now unsubsidized.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

10 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

why would they do that? It would be a break from all the other iphone release, search the forums for the hundreds of posts/threads complaining about no early upgrade for "dedicated" users. Suspect the Next plan will be the only option for those that want to do that and only if they hit their 12 months, a win win situation for the carrier, since they get the customers phone back for refurbishing and reselling

Those dedicated user issues/complaints are for those who want to upgrade at a subsidized price each year vs the two years that they committed to.  What I am refering to are the customers who upgrade every two years.  If you want to upgrade each year then the Next plans may be for you!

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@youngjm wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

Those dedicated user issues/complaints are for those who want to upgrade at a subsidized price each year vs the two years that they committed to.  What I am refering to are the customers who upgrade every two years.  If you want to upgrade each year then the Next plans may be for you!

If you are on the Mobile Share Value Plan with 10GB or more of data, then the NEXT plan will save you $150 or more over 2 years as compared to purchasing a contract subsidized phone.  It's not a lot, but it's not totally insignificant either.  WIth NEXT 12, your phone is paid off in 20 months, so you get the extra "benefit" of 4 months with no additional payments before your 2 year upgrade time arrives, so your bill is $25-50 lower for those 4 months (depending upon your phone purchase price).  It only costs you more if you are on a Mobile share plan with less than 10GB (or if you are still on one of the discontinued Family plans).

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@youngjm wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

Naw I don;t need new toys every 2 years, I just upgraded my 3GS les then a year ago, this one is good for 4 or 5 more years

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

10 years ago

This should tell everyone it will be released in September since every year they suspend vacations the month of release to handle the load.

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

10 years ago

I for one hope the size rumors are just that, rumors. I have no need or desire to carry a "phablet" around. I'm perfectly happy with the size of the 4s. I might be willing to go to the 5s, but that would be it. I'd sooner switch OS than carry something as big as what they're saying the 6 will be.

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

10 years ago

@Max69 wrote:

I for one hope the size rumors are just that, rumors. I have no need or desire to carry a "phablet" around. I'm perfectly happy with the size of the 4s. I might be willing to go to the 5s, but that would be it. I'd sooner switch OS than carry something as big as what they're saying the 6 will be.

To each his/her own, but considering that for quite some time Apple had reasoned (i.e, argued) that the screen size used in all iPhone models through the 4S was "ideal" compared to the larger screen sizes used in competing smartphones like the Galaxy...yet here exists the 5 and 5S with slightly-larger screen sizes compared to previous iPhone models.  If Apple considered the screen size in previous iPhones to be ideal, then why did they elect to switch to a slightly-larger screen starting with the 5?

Let's face it--it's only a matter of time before Apple comes out with an iPhone that utilizes a screen larger than that used in the 5/5S...most likely by the rumored August launch.  In this consumer-driven materialistic society, size does matter--look at the proliferation of large (i.e. >55") displays/TVs--in the majority of single-family dwellings, anything over 50" is overkill since most residential viewing areas/rooms are not nearly big enough to justify needing such a large screen in order to "better see" what's being shown on the screen--i.e., does one really need a 60" TV to better see what's going on if the person is sitting just 5-6 feet away from the screen?  Remember when folks used to get by with watching TV on 36" or smaller CRT displays?

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

10 years ago

Just got a tip from a friend at Apple:  iPhone 6 will have emergency fold-out aluminum foil hat...

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

10 years ago

@Richmond Dan wrote:

Just got a tip from a friend at Apple:  iPhone 6 will have emergency fold-out aluminum foil hat...

NO WAY!  That seals the deal, I don't care if I have to pay full price, that alumium foil hat to keep everyone out of my head is so worth it!!!!!!!Smiley Surprised

Sorry could not resist this one but I am sure this awsome feature will foil SamsungSmiley Tongue

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.