For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
shauncey's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, March 18th, 2010 1:00 AM

What happens to your text messages while you are in Airplane Mode?

A customer service rep tried telling me that while you are in airplane mode, at&t discards any text messages you may have recieved. Whereas if your phone is totally off, you still receive them once you turn your phone back on.

Is this assinine or am I just being too logical? How in the world could they even know the difference between airplane mode and off? also why in the holy heck would they EVER not just save your messages? 

I was in europe for a month in airplane mode, and upon returning only received messages from the day before i turned my phone back on. None from the month before. How is this possible, and is there anyway that I could reset things on my end in order to be able to receive these "lost" messages?

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

14 years ago

@shauncey wrote:
I thought so. Any idea on how to retrieve said messages?

Its should be done automatically after the phone has been back on the network for a little bit.  There is nothing you can do.  However messages are only kept in the system for up to 7 days. After that, they are deleted.

Question:
How do I know if my text message was delivered?
Answer:
AT&T does not currently support delivery confirmation receipts, but if you don't receive an error, your message most likely has been delivered. If the message can't be delivered at the time you send it, AT&T will attempt to deliver the message for up to seven days.

Master

• 

4K Messages

14 years ago

The CSR was wrong.  Text messages are persistent; they will remain in the system until delivered (perhaps not indefinitely, but I'm not sure if SMS have a time-to-live component).

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

I thought so. Any idea on how to retrieve said messages?

@BrianfromNO wrote:
The CSR was wrong.  Text messages are persistent; they will remain in the system until delivered (perhaps not indefinitely, but I'm not sure if SMS have a time-to-live component).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.