For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
know1's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Friday, July 23rd, 2010 1:46 PM

Captivate - GPS Issues

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

14 years ago

Mystery, I wouldn't be surprised if ATT hesitated on the fix. When I bought the Captivate at the store, the sales rep tried everything to talk me out of it and sell the IPhone 4. ATT must have a much better rev return on the ATT deal vs the Samsung. I noticed that the each store has to report IPhone unit sales each day at EOB, but not on any other devices.

Scholar

• 

159 Messages

14 years ago

Yea i know you would think that this phone would get some attention.  it doesn't i actually had to go hunt for it in the stores wall o phones.

att is so much in bed with apple that you might never get them separated.

if they do come out with a fix i would help they would make it an ota update or make it a software install update.  i am thinking they are going to fix it when they release froyo which is suppose to be in september as well.  it just makes sense.

the question then is will att release froyo in a decent amount of time of just let us sit there and stew and never do it.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

Tony,

Everything you said is absolutely accurate except the SUPL PORT. SUPL PORT is 7275 that shouldn't be changed to 7276. Google SUPL server is configured for 7275. Almost all the SUPL servers in industry are programmed for 7275 as it is a industry wide standard written in OMA SUPL Specs.

All,

The Key reason for Samsung Captivate GPS issues is that, The production software on Samsung devices is not set to Operator based settings, instead they are set to LAB test system settings. It is a software setting issue that needs to be corrected.

Standalone GPS lock takes longer time than Assisted GPS fix. As Tony noted above Position method was set to Standalone GPS Captivate was taking long time to give position fix.

Hope this helps everyone.

I am using captivate, after chang

@TonySturch wrote:

Theres a few howtos out there.  Do a quick google search.  Anyway, this has been shamelessly pilfered from another site:

If you just got your hands on a new Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant or Captivate, you may have noticed some GPS issues. Samsung reportedly has as well, and may address this in a coming OTA fix.  In the meantime, it's not hard to fix the problem yourself -- provided you go slow and follow the instructions, which are detailed after the break.  [Xda-Developers via Intomobile]

• Step 1 -- Open menu > settings > Location & Security.  Uncheck the box next to "Use Wireless Networks"
  • Step 2 -- Open the dialer (the phone button) and enter the following: *#*#1472365#*#* .  Then press "send" to open the Vibrant's LbsTestMode menu.
  • Step 3 -- In the LBSTestMode menu, press “Application Settings” and change “Operation Mode” to “MS Based.”
  • Step 4 -- In the LBSTestMode menu, find “SUPL/CP Settings” and change the SERVER & PORT to supl.google.com and port 7276 (DO NOT use www. in front of supl !)
  • Step 5 -- Reboot your phone.
  • Step 6 -- Open menu > settings > Location & Security.  Check the box next to "Use Wireless Networks"

If you want to reverse these changes, the original specs are:

Operation Mode: Standalone
SERVER: www.spirent-lcs.com
PORT: 7275

This should make locating and locking on to GPS satellites faster, and make locations services more accurate.  Just take your time, and follow the directions closely.  And no, this won't affect your warranty or need root.

ing the settings as said by Tony i get excellent GPS performance by Captivate

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

14 years ago

I downloaded a GPS tracking app and it's saying (pretty quickly, and without the suggested fix) that it sees 5-7 satellites. However it's showing that it's "Using" 0 of them.  And in google's Navigate app the "Searching for GPS" just sits there at the bottom of the screen indefinitely.

Does anyone else see similar behavior?

I'm totally loving Android and have (finally) convinced my wife that it's far superior to the iPhone, and obviously this is a Samsung issue, and not an Android issue, but they really should be a LOT more proactive about getting the fix out.  It's not as though this is some hidden bug that no one notices. The Navigate app is singly the most impressive thing out of the box and anyone who is showing their friends this device will almost certainly go to it first... Having it routinely fail, like this, is really terrible.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

I have a Captivate.  I have tried the GPS side by side with an EVO and an Incredible... both of the HTC devices always locked on in under 10 seconds where the captivate always took several minutes or more (often longer than I was willing to wait).

I had what seemed to be marginally better results using the Google SUPL server... but still nothing even close to the performance of the other devices.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

14 years ago

I have (or had) an AT&T Samsung Captivate. Sadly, I returned it today because of the same GPS isssue that you are having. It was one of the best smartphones I have used in a long while and I was really disappointed about returning it, but after reading every online forum discussing this problem ( and there are a lot!!) and trying all the fixes, my GPS was still useless. Using CoPilot live was just laughable. It would appear to lock on and it would give me an accurate location, but as soon as I started driving, things would get crazy. It would show me driving on an incorrect street. The streets would just slowly spin likely I was making a turn, even though I was going straight ahead. When I stopped it would show me still moving. And then when I finally did stop, it would sometimes continue to drift randomly like the car was still going. I couldn't navigate around the block like that.

The ATT salespeople all denied any knowledge of a problem, so I helpfully presented them with five different online reviews documenting the defect, all printed out for their educational enlightenment.  Considering that it was a large NY store with about 10 employees, I find it just amazing that they were really ignorant of the problem. To their credit however, they gave me no trouble returning the phone and did not hold me to the 2 year contract extension, which allows me the opportunity to re-purchase the phone if a fix becomes available. At least in that respect, ATT customer service was really great.

I have returned to using my ATT Tilt 2 with CoPilot Live, which I have used to navigate all the way from NYC to Canada without a single problem. By comparison it makes the Samsung Captivate's GPS performance look truly pathetic.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

Here's my 2 cents.  My company bought 4 recently and I was the only one to get the lemon.  I've attempted the "fixes" put out on the web and they don't help at all.  I do believe there may be more than 1 issue here that they are attempting to fix but the clock is ticking.   I went to the store in an attemtp to swap my phone and discovered 1 good and 1 bad phone that they pulled out.  So - if you're within your 30 days- GO SWAP the phone and have them pull out all of their phones if necessary to rectify the issue.   I also realized that ATT has NO support for Corporate Enterprise customers in their actual stores.  I'm seriously going to recommend we look at other carriers based on this fact alone.  Apparently, spending $100K+/year means you get worse to no support from ATT.  If I hadn't experienced it first hand - I wouldn't have believed it.  Someone in ATT corporate needs to step up and address this or we'll explore other options. 

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

14 years ago

This doesn't look too good for a REAL fix for the GPS - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=777068

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

14 years ago

@JRd1st wrote:

This doesn't look too good for a REAL fix for the GPS - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=777068

Samsung never really officially claimed that way. It is speculations from many Blogers based on the feed back from Samsung support. We all know how useful those Samsung support CSRs are.  And it is very doubtful the EPIC 4G firmware contains the actual fix based on the fact that the final Broadcom driver was only delivered to Samsung in late August, too late for EPIC's launch at the end of August.

EPIC 4G also confirms to have a hardcoded 30-meter accuracy value which may not mean much as the actual positioning test shows it slightly better than Captivate and other Galaxy S phones. Although my Captivate shows 5-meter or 10-meter accuracy all the time, it still put me at least 20 meters aways from my actual position a lot of times.

Scholar

• 

216 Messages

14 years ago

I hope this "fix" does not break mine, it has worked flawlessly since day one. I will say it is some what touchy in that it wants a true clear view of the sky. Such as, on the dash of a vehicle it is perfect, yet holding it on/in your lap, does work, but maybe 20 meter accurate, instead of dead on. Maybe I am lucky, who knows. I am truly overly joyed with my new phone, and will be mad like I say, if this "fix" breaks mine.  🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.