For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
raiu's profile

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

Friday, March 30th, 2012 11:56 AM

Android 4.0 ICS for SGH-i777 Samsung Galaxy S2 (Not Sky Rocket)

I would like to know when we can expect the Android 4.0 update to roll out for our phones. I know ATT sucks when it comes to giving out updates to their customers.

I just want to find out if anyone knows anything.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Wow, so much thread crapping in these forums.  Does anyone know have any real information related to the ICS update for this phone?  And no, rooting is not an option for everyone.  Some of us want to keep our warranties.  Saying we don't really want ICS because we're not willing to root is ignorant.  I have the Vivid and am loving ICS...am eagerly waiting for the update for my wife's S2.

Guru

• 

725 Messages

12 years ago

@jckat2000 wrote:

Wow, so much thread crapping in these forums.  Does anyone know have any real information related to the ICS update for this phone?  And no, rooting is not an option for everyone.  Some of us want to keep our warranties.  Saying we don't really want ICS because we're not willing to root is ignorant.  I have the Vivid and am loving ICS...am eagerly waiting for the update for my wife's S2.

No one ever has release dates.

All I can tell you is - There's no way UCLD3 is going to go live, and if it does go live, AT&T is stupid.  UCLD3 has a serious kernel bug that can cause permanent hardware damage.

If you want prompt updates, you need to buy an unlocked international device.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

i think UPDATE is coming soon...as previously when i used to update OTA , it was saying ATT server busy...but now its coming your software currently upto date...

so ATT is really doing something inside

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

12 years ago

While there is no ETA on the release of ICS, you can still customize your Android device to the ICS theme while you wait for the release as well. 😉

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, an AT&T LTE smartphone. Experience speeds up to 10x faster than 3G.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

12 years ago

Wow, so your best response is that you all suck? 😄  I'm no fan of Apple, but at least they identified the carriers as being the problem with updates, and proceeded to cut them out of the process!  I'd be *so* much happier if the Android makers had been able to do the same thing.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

12 years ago

Well Samsung does have the Galaxy Nexus which does not require the carriers to approve the update and it comes directly from Google. 😉

Posted from my iPhone 4S on AT&T, the nation's fastest 4G network.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

12 years ago

Agree with you bmgoodman.  Not sure why ATT insist on being software developers.  Maybe there are more profit on it than I I understand and also as a platform to block any software that can intrude in their profit margin (VOIP apps, wallet apps, messaging apps) as they learned a hard lesson with imessenger.  I guess expecting a service provider to just make money off service plans is too mcuh to ask for.

Anyway, for those who are afraid of rooting in regards to warranty.  There are a few ICS releases that are rock solid.  Rooting is nothing as intrusive as "jailbreaking" in iOS and no hard bricking has been reported so far.  All you have to do is unroot before you claim your warranty.  Frankly, the ICS releases right now are already way better than whatever ATT is going to officially release in the future.  So don't worry about doing the work twice because chances are that you will never go back since the development is way more frequent and current with the "amateurs experts".

Guru

• 

725 Messages

12 years ago

@takuyaah wrote:

Agree with you bmgoodman.  Not sure why ATT insist on being software developers.  Maybe there are more profit on it than I I understand and also as a platform to block any software that can intrude in their profit margin (VOIP apps, wallet apps, messaging apps) as they learned a hard lesson with imessenger.  I guess expecting a service provider to just make money off service plans is too mcuh to ask for.

Anyway, for those who are afraid of rooting in regards to warranty.  There are a few ICS releases that are rock solid.  Rooting is nothing as intrusive as "jailbreaking" in iOS and no hard bricking has been reported so far.  All you have to do is unroot before you claim your warranty.  Frankly, the ICS releases right now are already way better than whatever ATT is going to officially release in the future.  So don't worry about doing the work twice because chances are that you will never go back since the development is way more frequent and current with the "amateurs experts".

I disagree on no hard bricking being reported - the AT&T UCLD3 leak can hardbrick you, and is the only item known to cause hardbricks.

Yes, you heard that right - the most dangerous software for your phone is an AT&T-customized package.

There's a reason the XDA I777 community has barely touched any of the AT&T leaks, and the one dev that was working with them pulled the links and closed the thread.  Simply put - GT-I9100 firmware releases provide a safer and higher quality base than anything which has ever come through AT&T's software mangling process.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

12 years ago

You are right entropy.  I meant to say that no one reported hard bricking for the ics roms I have used.  The ATT leaked rom obviously is notorious for having issues. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I've had my AT&T S2 (I777) since the day it was released. I check for OS updates every night, it has always come back with the message that my software is current.
However I have noticed a large multitude of my installed apps updating in the last few days. Do they need to update to work with ICS, could that be a sign the AT&T ICS release is coming very shortly?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.