For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
mchlbsch's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, March 19th, 2018 9:19 PM

ATT sim in European android phone gives no service

Hi!

I bought an ATT simcard 2 weeks ago at the shop, but it has never worked. I would like to give this one more try since I'm going to travel solo for 1,5 week now.

So the SIM I have now (nano) was working in the phone of the lady that helped me in the ATT store. She went through my settings on my phone (Honor 8 - android) and she had no idea why it wasn't working on my phone. I basicly says: no service. I can click the prefered ATT networks at APN, but it still doesn't do anything.

My phone is bought as an unlocked phone in The Netherlands. Another SIM card in my spare phone also didn't work. 

As far as I understood American SIM cards should work in European phones right?

Does anyone has a solution for this?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

According to another site the L09 has 3g band 1900.  But if in an area with band 850, you’re out of luck.   Changing location might find a tower with 1900.  For consistent service, T-mobile is a better bet

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

6 years ago

Yes, the American SIM cards from AT&T and T-Mobile should work in European phones that support the US frequencies. For AT&T those are 850/1900MHz for 3G and bands 2,4,5,12,17 and 30 (hopefully I didn't miss any) for 4G/LTE. Having LTE bands 2,4,5 and 17 should be mostly enough if my old Galaxy S4 is any indication.

If your phone does not support these frequencies you're out of luck with AT&T as it has shut down the 2G (GSM) service over a year ago. You could try with a T-Mobile SIM then.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you for your reply. My phones does support the frequencies: https://www.frequencycheck.com/models/vn2DZ/huawei-honor-8-dual-sim-td-lte-frd-al10#frequencies

I really don't know why it's not working 😞 I can see and select one of the two ATT APN's, tried both without effect.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

6 years ago

Is the AT&T SIM in the SIM1 slot? Have you tried following the directions in the https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1062162/?

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

The European dual sim Honor 8 does not have UTMAS band 850 for voice.  Without it you may get service half the time all the time or in your case none of the time.  

As @dmapr said, try T-mobile, they still have a 2G network.  You do not have sufficient bands for LTE so don’t expect it.

Highlight the L19 version ....

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_8-8195.php#l19

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

6 years ago

Interesting, the GSM Arena does not list the AL10 version at all, although I'm guessing it's a dual-SIM version of the AL00. @mchlbsch, can you check your actual model number on your phone? If as @lizdance40 has surmised yours is the L19 then the spec sheet you looked up is wrong (it is for the AL10) and T-Mobile is your best option.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you both for your help and replies.

I have the FRD-L09 (dual sim), not listed on that site, but amazon sells this version, so it should be weird if it doesn't work in the US.

The sim is in slot 1 and I had indeed checked all the network settings.

I have to go on a trip now, but will try to put the sim in slot 2.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

6 years ago

I couldn't find the FRD-L09 on Amazon, but even so I've seen international models without full US compatibility sold on Amazon in the past.

Typically it's the Slot 1 that gets the full band support so I don't think that moving to the Slot 2 will help but it sure won't hurt to try. Judging by the specs I found on some other site it lacks T-Mobile's 1700MHz UMTS band, so the only full compatibility in the US is going to be on the T-Mobile's 2G GSM service.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.